Netting tecnique when solo

You can save yourself $10 and use a small rubber band on the net handle to hold the tail of the net out of the water.

You can save yourself $10 and use a small rubber band on the net handle to hold the tail of the net out of the water.

haha, but the gear heads NEED the latest and greatest from Scotty. Go on, buy buy buy. Our economy loves you!

Landed a double by myself a few weeks ago. Keep the boat in gear, maybe half your normal trolling speed. Head away from the other boats to have some room. Leave one rod in a holder with the drag set to allow the fish to run if it wants to. Hopefully you have the bigger of the 2 fish on the rod in your hands. Once the fish your playing is under control (finished the big first run) put it in a holder and get the riggers up and any other rods put away, get the net handy. The first fish will be the hardest because the boat is moving. (I'll slow the boat even more once the fish is ready) Take your time and I do use the boats gunnel as a fulcrum to lever the net up with one arm. Clear the net once landed pick up the other rod, hopefully # 2 is still there, kick the boat out of gear and repeat the procedure..

a couple of observations...

1) Foggy, are you into the beers tonight? haha

2) I think the same goes for whether you are alone or with the crew - make sure the fish is ready to be netted!!! thats my 2 cents on the matter, after my most recent and only 2/2 effort off nanaimo the other day.

good luck!

(and foggy, we are at Poett Aug 24-29, you around?)

a couple of observations...

1) Foggy, are you into the beers tonight? haha

2) I think the same goes for whether you are alone or with the crew - make sure the fish is ready to be netted!!! thats my 2 cents on the matter, after my most recent and only 2/2 effort off nanaimo the other day.

good luck!

(and foggy, we are at Poett Aug 24-29, you around?)

not at all

the arrogance struck a nerve , im over it...

wont be there that weekend , have a close friends wedding on the 27thi think

good luck out there though

felix

Who knew net handles could be a touchy subject? May as well fuel the fire! I have fished in a few different scenarios by myself. Short rods help, as do lighter nets that I can one-arm and still sort of control. The trade-off with the lighter net is less reach and smaller opening. But I can't remember any disasters. Using the gunnel as a fulcrum is very helpful. But if you are confident with a gaff, use the gaff. Once you get good they are super smooth, light, and easy to maneuver.

One thing I have yet to master is staying cool for a solo double. So far my strategy is to go to pieces, drive in circles, lose both fish, and get a tangle.

I only use the net these days with Sockeye since they have such soft mouths and frequently come loose at the boat. With springs I bring them close the boat and have a look at them before deciding what to do. If they are undersized (or oversized) I unhook them right at the side of the boat. If they are good to keep I play it until it's tired out and then tail it.

I find springs easy to tail because they have such thick tails and aren't as slimy as others seem to be. I had a hell ov a time last fall at the cap trying to net an 18lb spring by myself, steer the boat, manage the rods and avoid the 50 other boats out there. It seems much easier to just reach over and grab it with one hand on the tail and the other on the flasher. But I have long arms and my gunnels are very low so maybe it's easier on my boat.

I think others have mentioned playing bigger fish out so that it is on its side or close to it before trying a solo net job.
An old trick I learned long ago is that if a fish ends up close in to the boat and still has a lot of energy left; just slap the net on the water close to it which will usually send it for another good run and an easier netting job when you get him back in.

My #1 priority for sizable fish is get both downrigger lines and balls out of the water and slap your other reel senceless when you can(way faster than trying to reel) to get the slack line from the other rod out of the water(not the end of the world if you don't but can turn into a huge mess and fight a sideways flasher along with your fish).Keeping the boat in gear helps me to keep the fish away from the motors and a long handle net with the Scotty clip keeping it all together. A little luck and no seals helps.Oh ya wear you inflatable pdf.
kronic

Back