Netting small coho

salmonboy

was out today, coho fishing was excellent, i saw so many guys netting them and them bring them in the boat, then throw them back! I caught a hatchery today that had its eye ripped out and had pliers taken to the side of its face(fresh wound)! it was a only about 4 lbs, was amazed to see it still biting with those injuries! People should be more careful and not put them in the net, if their hooked bad bonk them, its easy to tell if their hatch or wild, no need to net them, never got the net once today! any idea what run this is...? puget sound? or fraser? lots of hatch, must be u.s. coho?

People should be more careful and not put them in the net, if their hooked bad bonk them, its easy to tell if their hatch or wild, no need to net them, never got the net once today!

X2 Many fishermen think a net is the only tool they have. Another thread talked about using a gaff to hold fish for examination and possible release. With small fish - say under 10# - I just pick up the flasher (40# leader) to check them out. If they're wild, a couple of seconds with the pliers and they are gone, usually healthy and happy.

I agree with High Five; the regs create unintended consequences: higher mortality of released fish.

If DFO would change there policy than people would just get the limit and be done with it...How many do people need? Say just two hatchery/wild that is it.Its insane with this weeding threw fish to find hatchery fish for limit.....poor coho...

High Five
I've seen this point of view from others and must add my two bits on the subject.
You may have a point with some fishermen, but not so with the crowd I know...
We catch coho as an incidental catch to Springs this time of the year.
Have no problem identifying hatchery coho from wild and no problem, most times, releasing the coho without taking the fish out of the water, ensuring a high survival rate.
My experience is when and if there is a Coho opening (such as Renfrew) there are a whole bunch of guys who head out to target coho that would not otherwise be on the water.
If coho were totally open off Sooke right now, I would predict more fishermen on the water targeting them.

say under 10# - I just pick up the flasher (40# leader) to check them out. If they're wild, a couple of seconds with the pliers and they are gone, usually healthy and happy.

agree here....my leaders are strong enough to support a small fish..

it really is quite awesome to see all the coho around. Fogged in is right - if they opened coho, and the reports were as they are now (with people having 30+ a day in hook ups) people would go out there just for coho and limit out day after day.

this is why its mandatory barbless hooks.. gaff and release!

I disagree...sorry. I also fish in the fall when the run is on. I really feel the marked vs marked thing does more harm then good. Don't care how great of release you think you are giving these fish.
agreed high 5! U and I are talkin about the guys targeting these coho...no need for nets if not keeping them! same **** in the fall...3 hatch 1 wild....just make it 4 of any, and a lot less fish will die!.....................cheers

Back