Need Smart Phone info.

Rockfish

This may end up like asking which is better Ford or Chevy, but here goes. I need a new/newer smart phone as apparently it is not a good idea to accidently step/stomp on them on a hard surface when you weigh 230 lbs - who knew.

Looking for a higher end smart phone with a very large screen size and Telus compatibility , I will just swap out the chip or one that at least can be unlocked at reasonable cost. I have no clue which platform would be best, the pluses and minuses of each or which phone model to get, pros and cons, so looking for some advice and a spirited debate.

So what do you like in the way of newer large screen smartphones ?

I just upgraded to a new iPhone 6+. My iPhone 4's will be up for grabs. Comes with a new camo otterbox defender case. It's a Telus phone

A little clarification for the questions. No I am not in a locked in contract. I am very disciplined for phone calls and do not gossip on and use it only for specific quick calls to arrange things or emergencies etc. andI have the data locked out. I do a lot of wifi surfing all over the place and find the tiny little screen I have very small for reading things like this forum so want to go very big and so far don’t use a lot of apps except the built in ones. Actually the phone still works fine and I use it but the glass cover screen is shattered and looks like what happens to auto saftey glass and would cost $80. to replace. I have a pay as you go plan with auto-payment and the unused minutes can accrue. Also have voice mail and other features grandfather. They don’t offer them anymore with pay as you go. Costs me $10.00 a month and tax.

I may well take you up on the offer Dave, thanks very much but want to decide on what would be best and don’t mind spending a fair bit for a new or newer high end phone that makes web surfing easy on the eyes and would like the chart plotter app.

What may be even more important is deciding on which would be the best platform. There appears to be 3 main ones including Windows if one dares count that as a main one. So who likes what and why?

The water resistant and shockproof phones sounds like a plus. After stomping on this one, drowning the next one is a definite possibility.

Would also like a very good camera in it.

Don’t need a keyboard, touch screen should do it.

I have a Samsung galaxy note 3.... They have new the new galaxy note 4 that just came out. Its way bigger than most phones and honestly Rick if reading is in issue go for the bigger screen. I really like it also is one of the few phones that has the smart pen with it.. I find it very useful.

If you have a PC at home and don't want to screw around with anything get an android based phone....

Now if you have all apple products and you like them then get an i-phone.... But all my buddies that argued that i phones were superior now own androids. I heard that the negative was the apps on the apple. Many of them you have to pay for on apple vs android.. Of course most of them had PC's at home so linking it to window system didn't work so well..

Specs/review on note 4 vs all other samsungs...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4-review

I looked at that shock/waterproof S5 it was crazy expensive at the time... The price may have come down now though...

Last edited by a moderator:
i have had android devices for 4 years and really like them !

that samsung s5 active looks cool but pricey at $749 !

Rockfish, go try this Samsung out. the camera is great 16 mp and the large screen 5.1in. is easy to see and with a flick of your fingers you can bring up text size where I can read it without my glasses.

Really like my Samsung note 3. I too have converted a few I phone users over to androids. None have any regrets.

in the process of getting the S5 active for the ruggedness of it water proof shock proof things that happen on the boat all the time and anywhere else for that matter

got the samsung s5 here also and am fairly happy with it. awesome camera. the test will be next time when I decide to go (unknowingly) swimming with it... lol.
size is great and i can read stuff on it that i had a hard time with, with my prior iphone4S. no regrets going to android. apple is a bit too locked down for my tastes. android is a bit more open source i believe. don't think you'll go wrong with either. maybe even an ipad mini would be ok. can you make calls with those i wonder?

Really like my Samsung note 3. I too have converted a few I phone users over to androids. None have any regrets.

I too have heard of a LOT of people switching from iPhone/iOS over to Android and more specifically on the Samsung's and not one has complained; they actually all say they prefer it.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that big improvement I noticed with note3 I have is power consumption..The note3 has a huge battery, and also can recharge fast...Older Samsung had a real power drain, and would need recharging sometimes daily..The new S5 and note 4 all are very good now..

Back