Need Help with Remote Throttle Placement for Yamaha Kicker - Bayliner Ciera 2295

Highliner

Hey gents,

I was asked by a friend for some ideas on the placement of the remote throttle for his new Yamaha kicker. The guys installing the motor said that he should mount it on the angled fibreglass directly above his main throttle. But the problem, aside from looking ridiculous and out of place, is that this surface is angled quite a bit to starboard. It seems like theres problems with mounting it anywhere, whether it be lack of space, trouble with the side paneling and cables, or awkward placement.

He's running a Bayliner Ciera 2295. Here are some pictures. Does anyone have any smart ideas or things he should think about before deciding on placement?

ff707e70.jpg

208319ba.jpg

e59e1010.jpg

f5b16329.jpg

The other thing about mounting it there is the wiring harness that will be all exposed. I think that would look like $hit. Could he mount it at the back by or near the transom some place. I was going to say just at the back of the side window, but it doesn't look like there is enough room there and you still have the wiring harness issue.

If above is your only option a angled plastic (starboard) wedge would straighten it up at least so it doesn't lean to the right.

If you're sticking with one pilot location, I'd suggest directly below your main throttle, similar to this.

Attachments

• photo 11 017 small.jpg
    photo 11 017 small.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 118
  • photo 11 001 small.jpg
    photo 11 001 small.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 116
  • photo 11 002 small.jpg
    photo 11 002 small.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 113
I spend most the day out of the House... so my control is directly on the tramsom, beside the secondary steering and downriggers...
If you do keep it inside, id go below aswell as mentioned...

Imo loose the cup holder & place it beside the VHF, as long as it dose not impede in the seat swivel
May have to reach back if you face forward but can be easily accessible from the cockpit or when the seat is facing backwards monitoring the lines

Kh

And for Gawds sake, shorten your VHF cable and clean up the wiring!, Yeah its shielded wiring, but you do your reception and transmission no favours having it all coiled up and that much additional length. :-0

KH has a point. If you can move your VHF to a better location (i.e.the dash, or right under it), you could mount a great starboard cover and have your kicker controls there. Its best to picture how you would want to operate you boat single handed while fishing and mount it there. For me, single handed, and only one steering location, that was the best location.

Thanks for all the replies so far gents. My buddy also mentioned that he purchased the flush mount control, so the cables come directly out of the side of the control and not out the back like yours finaddict. He also doesn't have a secondary helm, otherwise mounting it in the back would make sense. He's using an easy-steer off his I/O leg to steer. He wants to keep the control as accessible as possible to whoever's at the helm.

After exhausting all of the options, looks like he's going to put the throttle where the radio was. He's going to get JR Marine to fabricate a powder-coated aluminum box to hold the control with a removable panel. I think it's a great idea. Here's a mock-up. It should look great. Thanks again guys.

throttleplacement2.jpg

Back