Need help... any trades ppl?

Lipripper

Well….. I need to do something here and am having problems figuring out how to go about it…
To start I’m 30 in January and a single dad. I work my butt off for under $20/hr and cant get by. This leaves me mentally dead, tired and sore when I should be enjoying the limited time I have with my kids. Its effecting me and them. Every day: (imagine 100km/h) wake up… wake them… breakfast… make lunches… get them dressed… one to school.. one to daycare… work all day…. Off at 5...rush hour! Get them home by 6 try to make a decent meal hopefully eat by 7-7:30 (too late for a 3 an 5 year old) them to bed… me stressed trying to figure out rent and daycare money, truck payments, insurance, food, lights on, fishing channel(its only 2.50!)….. Then there’s me in bed by 9-10 (because I’m exhausted) and finally asleep by 2-3 cause I can ‘t wind down.
I want to do something… I have been seriously looking at the Heavy duty/Commercial mechanics course at Camosun…. Right up my alley. I have been around mechanics, welding, hydraulic and electrical systems most of my life and is a course that I wouldn’t feel like a beginner and something that I like doing(as I told the {unnamed company} guy what was wrong with our forklift….. Was right too as he was on the phone for half an hour with the techie).
This is a pre-app course and from what I could see is a work based apprenticeship after schooling? The problem being that it is a 10 month full time course and need to clear about $2,500/month(that’s including uctb/uccb) just to live. A part time job might be hard as I have the boys all but a weekend every 2 weeks… I get no money from the ex (I know if she was in my boots she’d probably stick it to me)
Now I know my situation might a little different from a lot of people but………my questions:
- Has any one done this kind of pre-apprenticeship training…. What was you experience when done?
- Government money…. I know I could get a student loan but that hopefully is one of the last options as I could cover the cost of the course….. Grants? Can you collect EI in this type of situation?
- Do you think its worth it?
Anything in the way of opinions/advise or links to get pointed in the right direction would help and know that talking to the people at the school will be a step one. Trying to navigate through government sites when you don’t really know what you are looking for is somewhat mind boggling.
I’m the type of guy that doesn’t like to loose. I don’t play games or make bets that I‘m not 100% sure that I will win……… This me beginning the playbook

Thanks in advance
[8D]

We are in a technical society and our tradesmen are retiring now , the governments in their little minded wisdom collapsed the apprenticeship program a few years back and is now scrambling to play catch up, the sacrifice now to get a trade is going to pay off in spades in the future where businesses will be paying primo dollars for persons with the ability to repair , modify , fix complex machines.
The EI group right now has placements officers going full bore on this issue , funding is there and day /care other care is part of their composite mandate to get these positions and courses filled , your trick is to get into one of the offices during the week when they are open to make your plans , go for it kid I'll pray for you .

Cheers

AL

AL's right tradesmen are starting to retire [wear out].I can't help you with any of the government stuff but I can tell you one thing,If you are good at what you do, are honest,show up on time, do a good job you'll have no problem with steady employment in a trade.Finding good people is nearly impossible.If you can think and actually fix something...even rarer.There will be some rough times,but there is always more good than bad.Research where you might have to go to find work.Also keep in mind that apprentice wages may be rough for the first while.Go for it,best of luck. Dan...starting year 37 of electrical.

there is EI funding through a place called spectrum, but u have to be on EI or have been on it in the last 2or 3yrs, they have money for all sorts of courses, you have to jump through some hoops, probably doesnt help much, unless u get laid off

but it never hurts to call a place like spectrum or other places and start asking questions, usually a place like camosun have advisors and such to help with such things

quote:Then there’s me in bed by 9-10 (because I’m exhausted) and finally asleep by 2-3 cause I can‘t wind down

Some good advice from the other posters all I can add is what's quoted is what will lead you to an early grave</u>, stress kills.

First thing you should do is look @ your diet and eliminate any caffeine of any kind, then fatty foods, there's a reason a young person like you is tired all the time consider a multivitamin as well they're cheap and effective.

The cheapest/simplest way to relax before bed is a hot shower but not just hot brutally hot on your neck and shoulders.

Yes it's old fashioned but it still works, I may come across sounding like old Anne Landers but simple solutions are often best.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

You SHOULD be receiving child support for your children. It's the law,and unless there is something your not telling,which by the wqay your expressing yourself,I doubt, MY advice is to get your butt down to Child Services and get the MOTHER of the children to start taking care of her end of the responsibilty you both took on when you had them. Classic case of DEAD BEAT MOM.

You may want to check in for subsidy for daycare for your children. There is government money available to assist you in day to day care for your children. As far as trades go I have been a tradesman for 25 years and we are always looking for good solid workers. As danthewire says most of the youth nowadays are not interested in real work, nor do they bother showing up when they don't feel like it. On the down side, a starting apprentice has a scaled wage so you will probably not make that much right away. The end result is worth it tho as I am never out of work and always in demand.

Preferred trades are as they are always needed.
Plumbing
Electrical

quote: there is EI funding through a place called spectrum, but u have to be on EI or have been on it in the last 2or 3yrs

Yes there is tons of money available, they literally can't spend it all and they scramble to spend their entire budget every year otherwise they get their budget reduced.

And NO you don't need to be on it for years, I was on it for less then a month and got $30,000 for school and all my living expenses - never had to pay a cent back.

If you can't get laid off and jump through a few hoops, its a gravy train.

Howdy,

Indeed, lots of good ideas here. Lose the stress man. If you feed your kids, eat, and have a roof over your heads', you must be doing something right.

Don't overlook the most important thing (after your kids) you have going for you right now: opportunity. Don't by into this 'Recession' bull-****. While the Government and the media are having their little "Doom & Gloom" party, take advantage and make this change in your life. This economic-correction will all pass soon enough.

If it's not welding or something similar, figure out what it is you really - really! - like to do; something that doesn't feel like work when you're doing it and chase that with dogged determination come hell or high water. Yeah, it'll be tough, maybe even tougher than you got it right now, but you are still plenty young-enough to make that sharp-turn in your life and remember, your kids' will be watching you, learning from you.

I'm a 52 yr/old finishing carpenter and I've been in and out of the trade since 75' and though it's not my absolute most-favorite thing to do, I do enjoy it and I'm good at it. Ten years ago I might not have recommended that my kids enter a trade, but things are different now, very different. As has been pointed out already, there is a growing shortage of skilled/qualified trades here in the West and the situation is only going to get worse. I don't put a lot of stock in trade-certificates. I could rattle off a list as long as my arm of ticketed carpenters I've worked with who were absolute idiots and took no-pride in the quality of their work.

If you're not absolutely set on a particular career path, see a career councilor at Camosun. It did it a few years back and they did this test on me - Myer's Briggs or something like that - to determine what you'd best be suited to do. Mine came up that I'd make a good politician... Ha-Ha!

I sincerely hope things get better for you and yours.

Cheers,
Terry

Thank guys for all the advise![8D]
You guys are right I gotta loose the stress lol
HD mechanic I feel would be a fun job or something that I would like doing, capentry being another. I feel that carpentry might be linked a little more to the economy though if it does continue to slide.
Another thing to think about is that it would be hard to leave the Island because my family is a big part of the boys life and too sure I would want to up root them?

The dockyard would also be a good choice. They are often posting for apprentices for all trades. Its a geat place to work, and they have a good apprenticeship program. Check this site often for postings, as the jobs are only open for a short time.
www.jobs.gc.ca

quote:Originally posted by The Jackel

Check out BC Transit, a buddy of mine says they have been hiring like crazy, he has been there for maybe 2-3 years and has 24 guys below him, they just hired 6 more. The pay and benefits are awesome. Good luck to you on what ever you decide.

PS, I find a little glass of red wine does wonders for the stress level:D

&gt;&lt;))))"&gt;
All you need to come up with is $5K. for the class 2 licence.

My son just got wacked at Crofton P&P and I have been helping him scout out whats on for a 37 yr old Dad with wife and 3 kids , apparently EI will sign you up for a course and supplement your wages to complete it , one of the trades crying for qualified workers is in the refrigeration field , also instrument mechanic apprentices cannot be found West of Quebec !

Just some thoughts

AL

My brother, a machinist said that the elevator people can't find anyone either. It's not a trade, you learn on the job. I think that Koney was a name that came to mind. Pays through the nose right now too. CME is looking for labourers at 23 bux an hour. It's not a career, but it's decent money in pocket.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Yes, the elevator people make very good money,getting on is another story.International Union of Elevator Constructors local 82 Vancouver, Ronda @ 1- 800-557-2505 They can walk you through it.Dan

My son was in the Kraft side at Crofton , they layed off 120 and after the contract settlement it appears only 20 or so will return , my boy was about half way down the list.

AL

Lots of Salal out there to pick.. It won't enable him to retire, but I always have it to fall back on. I can make upwards of $200/day on a decent patch. The first little while is trying but if you stick with it, a guy can more than put food on the table with it.

Take only what you need.

That's the shi## Al,how long did he have in?Can he work in the mill somewhere else? I bailed on the woods industry in 81, saw the writing on the wall.Man I missed those pay cheques.Good luck to him, I hope it works out.Dan

He was low down in seniority 4 years , can't bump anywhere else , company are being bastards in that they are phoning these guys for a day here and a day there , fouling up their EI and threatening to report them as having quit if they don't come in so that they are off the hook to pay severance , I would classify the Human Resources Department in the Company as "morally bankrupt" !
I bargained 4 major contracts in my stint in the Union movement but never saw anything as brutal as this American outfit.

AL

Back