Need a good mooching rod for a Islander reel

I would have to put my vote in for the Shimano Techniums medium 10'6. If your really on a budget the shimano convergence cant be beat for the price. Also shimano warranty cant be beat. I wouldn't touch a Fenwick rod, although I know some people who have older HMX and swear by them but they are the slim minority. I went through 2 fenwick rods each lasting maybe one outing just popping the clip, no fish on. I don't hear much about the Rapala Classic moocher, besides from Mark Pendlington who always is raving about them.. anybody use them? Also go with the 30lb main line.

I ran the old model rapala north coast moocher 10'6", blue/black in color, definitely a nice rod for the price, very nice action, that being said after a year one reel seat let go (spinning on the rod), and the other started to do the same thing. The offered to send them in for repair but I returned them during the warranty period. the newer rapala moochers seem too stiff for my liking,

I ran the old model rapala north coast moocher 10'6", blue/black in color, definitely a nice rod for the price, very nice action, that being said after a year one reel seat let go (spinning on the rod), and the other started to do the same thing. The offered to send them in for repair but I returned them during the warranty period. the newer rapala moochers seem too stiff for my liking,

I bought the first Generation Rod aswell still going, good action but good backbone aswell.

I've been using 10'6" G Loomis GL2s for almost 20 years and can't say enough good things about these rods. They are a perfect match in my opinion. REALLY GREAT RODS.

G-loomis are nice but really pricey. .. one of my guilde buddies told me that they use cheaper rods unless there is a photo shoot. Rods break and a banged around and although great rods have warranties it takes too long to get replacements than buying another rod. Im thinking the technium due to all positive feedback and cost effective.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I use Sage 4110 mooching rods factory built. they are expensive but have a lifetime warranty and if something happens you get a brand new rod. They are an 11' 4 power so there's plenty of jam for big springs or bottom dwellers and real nice to play fish with. I think I paid $450.00 each back in the day but I'll never have to buy another one.

I've been using 10'6" G Loomis GL2s for almost 20 years and can't say enough good things about these rods. They are a perfect match in my opinion. REALLY GREAT RODS.

Quick question about the GL2's cause I cant find them on G-loomis site or any for that matter. The "GL2" I found were not mooching rods on their site.....?

How stiff are the GL2's? Or do they come in different flexibilities?

I fish with little kids and the rods tend to take a beating last season I broke 2 convergence so now we have 2 techiums 1 convergence and 1 Amundsen savvy moocher med action all paired with islander reels and by far I prefer the Amundsen but that said all 3 types of rod are great on a budget choice if it was only me using the rod I would spend a few more bucks on a RcR or sage rod but it's all in how the rod feels in your hands everyone is different good luck !! And the lighter the main line the more the challenge lol

Last edited by a moderator:
vanisland; I don't hear much about the Rapala Classic moocher said:
I've run the Classic Moocher med/heavy the last couple of years and find them awesome. Mark P and Mike M both run them, understand there is a sponsorship relationship there, but they are really nice rods. For $99.00 at Canadian Tire regular price compared to $160.00 at IO in Victoria you can't beat them. IMPO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm told the new Amundson Savvy Sumo's will be out at the end of this month. Another RVP / Derby creation. They sound really sweet:).

What power of Trophy Titan do you prefer?

I fish both...

Depends how you like to fish.

Lighter = more enjoyable

Heavier = more confidence

I generally use the 2106 in the winter and the 3106 in the heat of the summer, but friends have landed 40+ lb salmon and hali trolling with the 2106.

2106 is significantly more noodle like and sensitive, while maintaining a relatively strong backbone. (the guys at PNT and Island Outfitters both pushed me toward the lighter rods and so far I thank them for it)

3106 is relatively less noodle like and stiffer throughout, including more backbone.

Hopefully this helps!

Back