NDP Letter To Gail Shea

After the Maple Ridge Town Hall Meeting I sent Finn Donnelly; NDP Fisheries Critic and MP for New Westminster riding a letter stating that I was disappointed with the presentation he made at the meeting. I had hoped that he would have taken a much stronger pro sports fishing stance. My phone number is part of my personal letterhead and last Thurseday much to my surprise I received a phone call from Mr. Donnelly. We spoke for some time concerning the unjust halibut allocation and the conservatives push to privatize the fishery. I was pleased to hear that the the NDP's standing on the issue was not far from my own. Finn emailed me a copy of a letter sent by the NDP BC Caucus to Ms. Shea I have it saved on my laptop on the desktop in PDF format but can't figure out how to move it to this post. If someone could walk this somewhat techno challenged old guy through the process I would love to share it with SFBC members.

H.E.H.

Here's a link to it.

http://www.sfibc.com/

Other than basically highlighting what we already know.....and has been splattered in the media etc it doesn't say a whole heck of a lot in my opinion. It's more of a "here are the facts" type letter from what I read.

The NDP doesn't even really take a stance in the letter......they just say "allocation needs to be addressed".

Here's a link to it.

http://www.sfibc.com/

Other than basically highlighting what we already know.....and has been splattered in the media etc it doesn't say a whole heck of a lot in my opinion. It's more of a "here are the facts" type letter from what I read.

The NDP doesn't even really take a stance in the letter......they just say "allocation needs to be addressed".

Hello Pippen
Thank you for providing the link.
I agree it is a presentation of the facts however by presenting the facts rather than the political smoke screen as has been detailed in offerings from the like of Randy Kamp, John Duncan and the Queen of DFO Gail Shea I think a statement has been made. In speaking with Mr. Donnelly he agreed that the quota should be rescinded from all non fishing quota holders and divided equitably equitably between the 3 user groups as mentioned in the letter - First Nations, the sports fishers and the working commercial fishers. He also stated in our conversation that the privatization of the fisheries is unacceptable. I took this coupled with the letter to Gail Shea to be the NDP position on the matter. I found this to be encouraging but perhaps I am being too optimistic.
Bottom line - What the hell do I know - I'm not a political activist just a guy who likes to fish and finds himself pissed off at the current situation.

Come to think of it.
As always.
Wishin I Was Fishin
H.E.H.

Back