MP's Online Petition to Stop Changes to Fisheries Act!

Whole in the Water

Thought this was important enough to warrant a thread of its own. Please take the time to sign this.

Fin Donnelly the NDP Fisheries critic has started an on-line petition. You can go here:-

http://www.findonnelly.ca/node/425

And/or you can print out a copy and gather signatures of friends/family that way.

We have to fight this as hard was we can; the Enbridge pipeline will slash across B.C. with absolutely nothing to stop it otherwise. As Fin says in his e-mail this is all about removing habitat protection because it is a development "irritant"!! Unbelievable.....

"Thank you for writing to share your concerns about the Conservative government's plan to remove fish habitat protection from Section 35 of the Fisheries Act.

At a time when the government should be strengthening habitat protection, the Conservatives aim to gut one of the strongest environmental laws in the country.

These changes will set Canada back decades.

By eliminating provisions to protect fish habitat, the Conservatives will be better positioned to fast track their agenda of pipelines, oil super tankers, mega mines and other major industrial projects.

With the stroke of a pen, this government would wipe out decades of progress and condemn future generations to a less diverse environment. The Conservative plan to ram this key change through the budget omnibus bill is reprehensible.

Canada’s New Democrats are strongly opposed to these changes.

As the Official Opposition Critic for Fisheries & Oceans, I have raised this issue with the Minister both in Question Period and in Committee (read more here). It’s clear the Minister is considering these changes to the Fisheries Act and regards fish habitat regulations as an ‘irritant’.

Canada’s New Democrats will continue to advocate for protection of our fisheries and oceans, and will oppose any move to gut DFO’s responsibility to protect fish and fish habitat.

Many people are asking what more they can do to stop the Conservative government’s destructive plan.

Please consider printing off the attached petition and collecting as many signatures as possible, which I can table in the House of Commons. I have also launched an online petition, which you may wish to circulate to your friends and family.

Thank you again for raising your voice on this important issue.

Sincerely,

Fin Donnelly
Member of Parliament
New Westminster–Coquitlam & Port Moody
Official Opposition Critic for Fisheries & Oceans"
www.FinDonnelly.ca

yup. signed. Despite your political leanings (lib, con, ndp, green) I think anyone who takes some time to listen/read about Fin will find that he is very well intentioned and rational with regard to our envronment and long-term economic prosperity. I for one have never voted ndp but I do like most of what I hear from this guy. I've met him a few times in person and he's not your avg politician who blows smoke up everyone's asses within earshot. Anyways, on this issue I think he's bang on so please forward this petition around.

Bit late--- the budget comes down today and the changes to the Fisheries Act are supposed to be included

It's never too late to voice one's opinion, especially if thousands speak up.

Well-- I did voice my opinion to the fisheries Minister, the PM and my MP- John Duncan..... Guess what that will get us.. As for the rest of the country, not a hope in hell that they even KNOW what fish habitat is all about-- or care.

Well-- I did voice my opinion to the fisheries Minister, the PM and my MP- John Duncan..... Guess what that will get us.. As for the rest of the country, not a hope in hell that they even KNOW what fish habitat is all about-- or care.

Look at from the glass half full perspective CL, it is better to do something, then to do nothing out all.

Once those who care about things like this give up, then we can be certain as to what the outcome will be.

"Irritant"? It's getting worse. Did you catch the budget release last night?

Of particular interest to me was the amendment to 'reduce environmental RED-TAPE'!

Not hard to read-between-the-lines on that one...

Thanks for that,WITW, signed and sent. Your absolutely right about doing something better than nothing!

Back