Nailing Some Near Shore Copper Rockfish

FishDoc

Excellent Shallow Water Rockfishing! Had a lot of fun out there and can't wait to get back out with the bait casting rod. Used to fish off the kayak in California this way and thought I'd try it up here. Guess what it worked. Fun way to spend the slow times of the day! Jig was a big hammer swimbait.

[zNxzpqRWN14]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNxzpqRWN14

Thanks for watching.

Seeing that little girl without a lifejacket makes the hair go up on the back of my neck......... totally irresponsible. I will leave comments about the "copper" rockfish he claims to someone else.

Just so you know Doc, targeting rockfish in all areas of B.C. tidal waters for catch & release is unlawful !
You are supposed to keep your limit and move to another area.
Even in shallow water like our Ogden Point breakwater where you can catch them in 10 ft of water....not allowed.
Again, targeting rockfish in all areas of B.C. tidal waters for catch & release is unlawful.

Just so you know Doc, targeting rockfish in all areas of B.C. tidal waters for catch & release is unlawful !
Even in shallow water like our Ogden Point breakwater where you can catch them in 10 ft of water....not allowed.
Again, targeting rockfish in all areas of B.C. tidal waters for catch & release is unlawful.

I read the regs can't find anywhere that it says unlawful to c n r rockfish. It just says this under notes.
Notes on specific finfish
Rockfish
Rockfish stocks, particularly in the Strait of Georgia (Salish Sea), are at low levels.
Avoid rockfish by fishing away from rocky reef areas, key habitat for these fish.
Rockfish rarely survive after being caught, so keep what you catch within your
limit. Move to another area or change your gear or fishing method if you reach
your rockfish limit.
For more on rockfish conservation areas and the types of sport fishing allowed
there, see Closures and Conservation Areas in this guide.

Since it doesn't mention the words unlawful, illegal, must... or any of these words I'm wondering if I've missed where you have read this. I don't think the above note makes it unlawful to c n r. It's more like something they squeeze into the regulations because they were unable to create an enforceable law. Please correct me with quotations from regs if I've missed something else.

Also they are incorrect about rockfish rarely surviving release. Many studies have even shown that rockfish that suffer decompression injury can survive if released back to depths using a waited cage or weighted reverse hook.

Last edited by a moderator:

I read the regs can't find anywhere that it says unlawful to c n r rockfish. It just says this under notes.
Notes on specific finfish
Rockfish
Rockfish stocks, particularly in the Strait of Georgia (Salish Sea), are at low levels.
Avoid rockfish by fishing away from rocky reef areas, key habitat for these fish.
your rockfish limit.
For more on rockfish conservation areas and the types of sport fishing allowed
there, see Closures and Conservation Areas in this guide.

Since it doesn't mention the words unlawful, illegal, must... or any of these words I'm wondering if I've missed where you have read this. I don't think the above note makes it unlawful to c n r. It's more like something they squeeze into the regulations because they were unable to create an enforceable law. Please correct me with quotations from regs if I've missed something else.

Also they are incorrect about rockfish rarely surviving release. Many studies have even shown that rockfish that suffer decompression injury ( barrotrauma) can survive if released back to depths using a waited cage or weighted reverse hook.

Good on ya getting out there and having fun! Many people here are blessed with boats and gear to fish salmon, and may turn their noses at you but the name of the game is to be out there having fun.

Seeing that little girl without a lifejacket makes the hair go up on the back of my neck......... totally irresponsible. I will leave comments about the "copper" rockfish he claims to someone else.

They look like coppers to me, similar to the ones I've caught in California before. What would you say they are? I haven't done much rockfishing up here so not sure what the common ones are. When I went years ago I remember catching some quill back. I would catch a huge variety in California. They have a lot more variety there. Gophers, black and yellows, coppers, vermillion, browns, blacks, blues, canary, olives, kelps were the common shallow water rockfish I'd catch. along with the green Ling, scorpion, ling and cabezon.

Getting called out for not having ones young family in life jackets and misnaming a rockfish.
Better respond to the rockfish naming incident lol!

I knew I wouldn't like the video when an opening line was "salmon fishing was getting boring".
Well, might as well go harass a whack of "vulnerable species" that would bite hotdogs if you used them. Yeehaw!

On second thought, I don't really have that much of a problem with it, and I believe those fish will live. Maybe it's just the "how to catch - wanna be a YouTube star" video style that rubs the wrong way...

Or maybe I'm just a jerk. Carry on....

I think some folks are saying targeting rockfish for catch and release is unethical, but technically legal, as long as they are not caught in an RCA.

Wow… lot’s of negative feedback, guess I won’t post my Rockfish videos here.

Getting called out for not having ones young family in life jackets and misnaming a rockfish. Better respond to the rockfish naming incident lol! I knew I wouldn't like the video when an opening line was "salmon fishing was getting boring". Well, might as well go harass a whack of "vulnerable species" that would bite hotdogs if you used them. Yeehaw!On second thought, I don't really have that much of a problem with it, and I believe those fish will live. Maybe it's just the "how to catch - wanna be a YouTube star" video style that rubs the wrong way... Or maybe I'm just a jerk. Carry on....

I’ve had the lifejacket conversation too many times to bother with it now.

Growing up in Alberta I’m used to fast action Pike and walleye fishing 50-100 fish days frequently… so yeah salmon fishing can get boring for me.

Please someone tell me what kind of Rockfish these are since you all seem to think it is something besides copper. In the video I said Coppers or Quillbacks, but after looking at the ones I kept thought they looked more like coppers.

Regarding YouTube I have 260 Videos on this Fishing Channel and another 94 on a Gardening channel. It’s my hobby, making what I feel are educational and entertaining videos. I know some people have a problem with that. But a lot of people appreciate it. Haters are welcome too, haha!

Good on ya getting out there and having fun! Many people here are blessed with boats and gear to fish salmon, and may turn their noses at you but the name of the game is to be out there having fun.

Thanks. I’m used to it though, kind a common occurrence with video posting.

I think some folks are saying targeting rockfish for catch and release is unethical, but technically legal, as long as they are not caught in an RCA.

The limit was three per person in this area so I wanted to target them and we caught our legal limit. I love eating rockfish! If they’re in trouble they can close the fishery, till they do that I’ll be enjoying some rockfish tacos, yum. We were at this for less than an hour and most of the time I was maneuvering the boat and getting my hook unsnagged.

There is legal and ethical. Seriously missing some Sportfishing BC etiquette. But hey, free pass once as you grew up somewhere else. Never, ever target a long living species with low reproductive rates. http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/publications/docs/rockfish-sebastes-eng.html

Once again it doesn’t seem there was any problem legally with fishing for rockfish where you can retain a limit. So what is this Sportfishing BC etiquette I should know about?

Who is missing BC Sportfishing etiquette?

I think that was in reference to me.

Hey thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. I have a lot to learn in these waters it seems.

Here's some pics from my California years... which will maybe explain my gross misunderstanding.

I was watching some of your videos and it looks like you often catch and release rockfish??? Am I missing something... is this a do what I say not what i do kind of thing?

Wow. Talk about missing the point there Doctor.
You were given some good info from others, and chose to hear what you wanted and ignore the rest. No one has a problem with you catching your limit of rockfish and making your fish tacos. But that's not what happened in your video. You caught more than your limit and tossed them back...

This was already posted for you... published by Fisheries...
"Avoid rockfish by fishing away from rocky reef areas, key habitat for these fish.
your rockfish limit. "

But you also clearly stated that you are more of an expert on rockfish catch and release mortality facts than Fisheries and Oceans Canada by stating "they are wrong". It doesn't matter if they are coppers or quillbacks, they are potentially 50-95 year old fish that are have a tough time recovering from fishing pressure. You state that reverse hook release weights or cages can help them survive but you weren't using any such devices.

Arrogance? Or you are a marine biologist who is going to enlighten me on rockfish survival rates?

The same type of attitude that believes lifejackets are for other peoples kids, not for the family of an accomplished waterman like you. Tell that to the Coastguard guys who are still reeling from the death of a boat owner and his 8 year old daughter in Howe sound last month. They never found him... but pulling his dead daughter out of the water (without a lifejacket) is something they will never forget. No one knows what happened, it was a nice sunny day and they were in sheltered waters. Stuff happens.
You say you've had the conversation about lifejackets too many times so I doubt you'll listen. You have a beautiful family, I'll be praying for them.

Wow. Talk about missing the point there Doctor.
You were given some good info from others, and chose to hear what you wanted and ignore the rest. No one has a problem with you catching your limit of rockfish and making your fish tacos. But that's not what happened in your video. You caught more than your limit and tossed them back...

This was already posted for you... published by Fisheries...
"Avoid rockfish by fishing away from rocky reef areas, key habitat for these fish.
your rockfish limit. "

But you also clearly stated that you are more of an expert on rockfish catch and release mortality facts than Fisheries and Oceans Canada by stating "they are wrong". It doesn't matter if they are coppers or quillbacks, they are potentially 50-95 year old fish that are have a tough time recovering from fishing pressure. You state that reverse hook release weights or cages can help them survive but you weren't using any such devices.

Arrogance? Or you are a marine biologist who is going to enlighten me on rockfish survival rates?

The same type of attitude that believes lifejackets are for other peoples kids, not for the family of an accomplished waterman like you. Tell that to the Coastguard guys who are still reeling from the death of a boat owner and his 8 year old daughter in Howe sound last month. They never found him... but pulling his dead daughter out of the water (without a lifejacket) is something they will never forget. No one knows what happened, it was a nice sunny day and they were in sheltered waters. Stuff happens.
You say you've had the conversation about lifejackets too many times so I doubt you'll listen. You have a beautiful family, I'll be praying for them.

I'm sorry I really don't want to argue. I'm just one guy, if you want to make a change lobby the government to change the regulations to: it is unlawful to catch and release rockfish.

I guess we have different perspectives, doesn't mean I'm arrogant. What's better? a three and a one year old bobbing around in the ocean for hours (days), living or dieing of exposure... with two dead parents? I'd say better off resting in peace with the parents. I'm just curious if you all wear lifejackets on the boat all the time? My kids wear them when I feel there is concern and so do I. When I was out there I didn't see many lifejackets being worn on other boats.

Some people want to live forever here on earth... I've seen my share or dieing elderly, cancer, heart disease, copd and what not... doesn't look fun. Most people would choose to die traumatically over slow prolonged death. I don't see the concern about death, but maybe you don't deal with it every day.

The fish I caught swam to the bottom by their own will and did not suffer barotrauma. Those methods of release mentioned are for fish that have suffered barrotrauma that cannot descend themselves. It was 10-20 feet where I was. The Canadian sight says risk of rockfish death in as little as 10 meters. That's 30 feet... I wasn't even that deep. Don't worry I wouldn't do the same thing in deep water or where I thought the fish were in danger. I really am not trying to purposely harm fish.

On a side note I have to chuckle... because you believe what Fisheries and Oceans Canada has to say... the same ones who continue to allow and promote penned farmed salmon even though it has unequivocally been linked to decreased survival of wild salmon and endangering the whole population by introducing salmon viruses. You guys are worried about a few rockfish while the government of Canada allows commercial bottom trawlers out there scooping tons of rockfish off the bottom for the commercial market. Once again... going a little hard on one guy, I think your concern is miss directed. You should be trying to eradicate Farming Salmon and Commercial rockfish harvest if you really want to save the Sport.

Like I said different perspectives... I'm a big picture kind of person. Sorry I don't mean to be offensive, just sharing my thoughts. My wife always reminds me what one of my professors said... It's better to be nice than right. That's a tough one to live by. I respect your opinions, thoughts and suggestions. Most of all thanks for your prayers for my family. Can never have too many people praying for you :)

I like objective data... here are my sources. http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archi...ully-released-rockfish-can-survive-barotrauma

If you've never seen it this is how it works.
[ClRr5_EH6dM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClRr5_EH6dM

[z9ThRMgq36c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9ThRMgq36c Here is a cool one with a bunch of different methods. This is highly promoted all over the USA from Florida to California and up to Alaska. Canada always seems to be way behind. Not sure why they don't promote this in Canada yet.

i heard some poachers got nabbed out of pedder last week with the help of marina staff..maybe they had video evidence :)

Side note..kinda like having them bull balls hanging from yer trucks hitch... That is also unlawful with our behind the times traffic code.

Hey Doc, I didn't know anything about the rockfish release techniques. That is cool, so thanks for the videos.

I do agree that commercial fishing pressure and fish farming do more harm than one sports-fishing guy. I guess it depends on if you believe that change has to start with yourself or not. Lots of people on this site are actively involved with trying to change fish farming and bottom trawling legislation. Being concerned about a few rockfish doesn't mean you're not a "big picture" kind of guy.

I'm guessing the rockfish release techniques have been developed for fisherman targeting others species who pick them up as by-catch. Not people who want to spend the day giving rockfish a free balloon and carnival ride.

I don't agree with you that a fisheries and Oceans suggestion not to target more than your 3 rockfish is meaningless unless it is made into law. Its a considered suggestion which you can ignore if you like, but don't be surprised to take some heat if you post "how to" videos which flaunt it.

You and I will never agree on the "kids might as well go down with the ship" argument as far as lifejackets go, so we'll agree to disagree.

I enjoy a good argument as much as you say you don't, but this is going to go around in circles for me so I'm out.

Good luck and stay safe.

Back