My corroded pal dodger's

Bag-Juan

I dug up some 'ol Pal dodger's the other day and unfortuneatly they have seen better day's. I wouldn't say they are pitted but they are corroded, some aren't to bad. I'v tried some of that chrome polish and a couple of other things, but they still have some corrosion on them. They are better than they were but still have a ways to go. I know I'm not going to get them perfect. Just wondering what you guy's use and if there is some amazing product out there that I don't know about. Thanks for any feedback.

I have cleaned them with wd-40 then polished with a buffing wheel with good results

LR- what about the smell left by WD40. Don't you worry about that deterring fish? I'm anal about what I touch and find WD just lingers for a long time. Maybe it has an attractant effect??

there are many who believe that it is an attractant pescador.....holmes*

X2...
I always have it on the boat for spraying swivels. Most of it will come off when polishing the dodger. It works well to take care of the corrosion

What about having them re-chromed, just a idea. No idea what it would cost but you can't buy them any more so might be worth while.

Our guide in Bamfield sprayed the hake and salmon bellies with WD-40 before sending them to the bottom when we were Hali fishing. Never seen it done before. It sure worked. I'll remember that trick.

Thanks for the input guys, I'v also heard of WD40 as being an attrractant to fish and I believe it has some fish oil in it. I was trying WD40 with one of those green scour pads and lots of elbow grease. Gonna get a buffing wheel and stick it on my bench grinder like LipRipper sugested. I met a fellow at the swap & shop at the speedway last summer, if I remember correctly he was in the tackle manufacturing buisiness. I believe he said he had 'ol Palister's press's for the Pal's but the chromeing was so expensive it was to hard for him to make a buck producing them.

I keep wd everywhere. I do use it on swivels, but, clean it up afterwards. Sounds like liberal usage is ok. Good tip guys......

Depending on "how bad"
White vinegar and salt.
Put some in a container, toss the flasher in leave for awhile (covered)
Scrub, rinse with water.
Dan

I believe it has some fish oil in it. I was trying WD40 with one of those green scour pads and lots of elbow grease.

Think the fish oil in WD40 is a wives tale.... I heard that its the amino acids in petroleum products that is does it. Bilge oil works great depending on how redneck you want to be.... :D

Scouring pads I would stay away from... it will scratch the chit out of the finish and cause the corrosion to come back faster next time.. WD will eat the corrosion fine then wipe with a rag. The buffer w/polish will kill the rest

Last edited by a moderator:
Clean them up then hit them with UV Blast. They become instantly UV visible. Stays on very well too. gl

Get them re-chromed. I've made my own dodgers in the past. Bought a full sheet of brass and then cut and bent as many pieces as a sheet would make. Had them chromed, sold the excess, kept enough for myself and broke even. I keep a medicine bottle in the boat half full of WD40 and put used BB swivels in there until next use.

Back