mounting transducer and ss need some input

steve01

Okay so I will be mounting my airmar transducer and structure scan this week
Now I have an existing hole on my step below the transom which of course is well below the water line.
Or I can run cables up transom and drill hole above water line.

The step is only about a quarter inch thick
Running two cables through it and filling with sikaflex just doesn't sit right..

Should I just fill that hole completely and run the cable's up the transom?
Any other ideas ?

Pictures are worth a thousand words. "well below the waterline...." (?) How far? Will the step (or the cables) create perturbed water down there?
Tough to understand your lay out

I try to put as few holes below waterline as possible,but, some are unavoidable.As sharp hooks said, pics really help for us to grasp exactly what you are working with.

If you decide to go below the waterline route? maybe a bulkhead fitting thru the fiberglass would give you more sealing surface and a more rigid install. The longer tube of the fitting gives you plenty of length for the sealant to bond where the cables pass thru it. Also. if you ever remove the cables, you have something that can be threaded and plugged.

Thanks for input.
Not sure what you mean by perturbed is ?
I will get take a photo tomorrow.
There was two transducer there before. Water never got in I don't keep my boat in the water..just can't get comfortable with having a hole down there?

When your new transducer doesn't track bottom and a small spray kicks into the air off one corner -- then its 'perturbed'
A highly technical term used only by veteran installers and boat do dad ers

Always easier to seal one wire or tube through a hole than two in the same hole. Although it sounds more logical to drill fewer holes, it's tricky to get a good seal in between multiple wires.

When your new transducer doesn't track bottom and a small spray kicks into the air off one corner -- then its 'perturbed'
A highly technical term used only by veteran installers and boat do dad ers

Ha ha...if I'd used the term "non-laminar flow" you'd have called me out for being pretentious. If I'd said "dirty water" , you'd have said...hey, speak for yourself; up here we only have clean water!

Always easier to seal one wire or tube through a hole than two in the same hole. Although it sounds more logical to drill fewer holes, it's tricky to get a good seal in between multiple wires.

UNQUOTE

Good advice, SK!

Back