motor well design flaw?

I had a similar problem but with a trophy 1802 I have a hatch in the motor well and the seal failed causing the bilge to fill up. and the bilge pump was clogged with my wife's long hair. so now I silicone the hatch and got a new bilge that I put on a ten foot wire and hose with alligator clips and keep it in the cuddy so if some else needs I can just come along side and hook it up to my battery and pump his boat out to, and if I need I just put it in the bilge

Springtime: your suggestions remind me of two things that caused me grief on Sat. If anyone else goes the route of the spare pump:
1) the alligator clips probably aren't stainless, so don't keep the spare pump in the bilge! Mine were so corroded they fell apart when trying to open them (boat is filling with water, where's the wire stripper again? ;-)
2) longer hose: pump comes with a 4 foot hose maybe, which is not enough to be in the bilge and pump over the transom....if it pumps back into the boat, that's not helping! Mine just barely extended over the motor well, which would have done nothing if we kept on taking on water.

Slowly but surely getting this problem remedied I hope. Thanks for all the tips!

JDS: I completely sealed my cable boot with silicone. Never had a problem with any leakage. Just poor a gob of silicone on where the cables penetrate and with soapy fingers smear it in all the holes. Silicone sticks well to rubber.

your guys boot is that low that it take water trough it that it a design flaw, just put a zap strap on the boot and snug it up good

Back