More TAC

BearCove

Crew Member
Hey Guys,

Wondering if there is any plans to voice our concerns about the lack of recreational halibut TAC? Last federal election we all rattled some chains and we did get 3% back.

Any word of anything happening?

I know in our area we are hitting up the all candidates meeting with all our questions about how each party is going to deal with this. Hoping that everyone else will be doing this too!

I would be more than happy to be a part of any movement that may be planned or being planned prior to the election.

Looking forward to hearing of any happenings and all working together to try and get back what should all ready be ours. (citizens of Canada)

Cheers

i am asking my local reps... doubt they even know...

Know many were saying back in 2013 (including sfab members and reps) how they were going to make it an election issue, and "just wait and see"... haven't heard anything about it and you know if there was any progress we would hear about it lol. Very unlikely we get anymore % regardless of what SFAB says or tries to make you believe. Although if NDP gets elected I know Nathan Cullen is a big backer of sport fishing and that could make it happen.

Know many were saying back in 2013 (including sfab members and reps) how they were going to make it an election issue, and "just wait and see"... haven't heard anything about it and you know if there was any progress we would hear about it lol. Very unlikely we get anymore % regardless of what SFAB says or tries to make you believe. Although if NDP gets elected I know Nathan Cullen is a big backer of sport fishing and that could make it happen.

1 Don't hold your breath that the NDP will form a majority Government come the elections
2 Don't hold your breath that the NDP will change the TAC if by some miracle they do get elected
3 Are 6 halibut a season which lasts for 11 months not enough for you?
4 Sure we all would like more TAC and yes we are not getting our fair share, but we are pretty lucky with what he have!
5 if you think we are hard done by, have you checked the USA sports limits lately.
6 be thankful for what the SFAB does for you
Good luck with your quest for more TAC and good luck promoting your NDP candidate.

Last edited by a moderator:
SFAB is non political and had nothing to do with getting this issue on the agenda that last election. :rolleyes:
It was a coincidence (a remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection) that a few guys just happen to be involved with SFAB back then.;)

We are missing a vital ingredient to make that an issue this time around.
We needed an early closure..... Something nobody wanted.
Also I suspect that a CPC government would not, under any condition, go there again.

Where is SVIAC with all this. Haven't heard a peep since June and shouldn't they push this as our advocacy group here on southern VI?

1 Don't hold your breath that the NDP will form a majority Government come the elections
2 Don't hold your breath that the NDP will change the TAC if by some miracle they do get elected
3 Are 6 halibut a season which lasts for 11 months not enough for you?
4 Sure we all would like more TAC and yes we are not getting our fair share, but we are pretty lucky with what he have!
5 if you think we are hard done by, have you checked the USA sports limits lately.
6 be thankful for what the SFAB does for you
Good luck with your quest for more TAC and good luck promoting your NDP candidate.

1. They don't need a majority government to change TAC...as long as they form government period as Fisheries Minister has that power.

2. All I know is the Cons won't, so anything is better than them. Wasn't saying vote NDP but certainly not Con. Libs, who knows, but I will say on this issue the NDP has the best chance, especially given Mr Cullen's past remarks.

3. Considering the Commies kill any size they want and get 85% of the pie while contributing less than 40% to the economy; no 6 a year is NOT enough for me.

4. That kind of attitude is exactly why we will never get any more...stupid.

5. See #4...again...stupid.

6. Thank you sfab for what you have done. There you go.

Vic-tory
your response is totally predictable and offers nothing new.
I for one have no problem with my fishing opportunities, and understand many on this site do not share my view, which is fair enough.

What I'd like to see is a level playing field. Equal size limits for all fishers. Either cut back on size limits for commies or allow sporties to keep at least 1 large fish.

If you want TAC then we need reps in Ottawa. Like Jimmy pattison and the rest of them. Your going up against a very powerful group with many paid lobbyists based on Ottawa. Organizations like BCWF, SVIAC, SFI and other groups are really what you want to become members and then push your reps to do something... Everybody seems to want more but nobody wants to pay or support those individuals to do it.

This topic comes up like a broken record when season winds down on this forum. There are lots of people working behind scenes working on it. Someone mentioned is SVIAC dead? I don't think so they and other organizations like SFAB are working on a bunch of things all at once. Truthfully looking at our guys in Washington that halibut fish I am just thankful what we have. Obviously I want more who doesn't? But what I would give for all the guys on the forum and people that sport fish to support these groups, and volunteer there time and energy, and just show up to a meeting once an awhile?

As for options on voting I still can't understand how all these people that say they are passionate for resource would actually take a vote and vote the conservatives back in power. I think their track record speaks for itself. The conservatives are and always will be bad for the BC sport fishery. Its not in that governments mandate to protect our industry and protecting wild fish stocks. If they go back in expect same damaging policies to our fishery and more fights on halibut.

More TAC? Any one noticing the odd outfit buying quietly into quota more and more? BS, cleaning fish at a marina where another out fit lays down 100+ pounders beside your legal fish and your guests ask why they have oversize halibut.

If you want TAC then we need reps in Ottawa. Like Jimmy pattison and the rest of them. Your going up against a very powerful group with many paid lobbyists based on Ottawa. Organizations like BCWF, SVIAC, SFI and other groups are really what you want to become members and then push your reps to do something... Everybody seems to want more but nobody wants to pay or support those individuals to do it.

This topic comes up like a broken record when season winds down on this forum. There are lots of people working behind scenes working on it. Someone mentioned is SVIAC dead? I don't think so they and other organizations like SFAB are working on a bunch of things all at once. Truthfully looking at our guys in Washington that halibut fish I am just thankful what we have. Obviously I want more who doesn't? But what I would give for all the guys on the forum and people that sport fish to support these groups, and volunteer there time and energy, and just show up to a meeting once an awhile?

As for options on voting I still can't understand how all these people that say they are passionate for resource would actually take a vote and vote the conservatives back in power. I think their track record speaks for itself. The conservatives are and always will be bad for the BC sport fishery. Its not in that governments mandate to protect our industry and protecting wild fish stocks. If they go back in expect same damaging policies to our fishery and more fights on halibut.

So have the NDP or Liberals or even Greens ever led us to believe they would support Rec Fishery over Commercial interests?

So have the NDP or Liberals or even Greens ever led us to believe they would support Rec Fishery over Commercial interests?

I dunno, have you ever asked them? We all know that the Conservatives don't give a rats butt about the rec sector as evidenced by their lack of action over the last 8 years on a whole host of rec fishing issues. DFO which is controlled by the Harper cabinet consistently makes the rec sector their lowest priority stakeholder. Harper and Co. are totally held captive by the commercial sector because all they care about is big industry. Wow huge surprise there.

I suspect that the other parties don't know enough about this issue because no one has really talked them and informed them as to what the rec issues are - so there is an opportunity - any volunteers?

IMHO if you care about the environment and our fisheries DON'T vote for the Conservative's - or will we just get more of the same.

I dunno, have you ever asked them? We all know that the Conservatives don't give a rats butt about the rec sector as evidenced by their lack of action over the last 8 years on a whole host of rec fishing issues. DFO which is controlled by the Harper cabinet consistently makes the rec sector their lowest priority stakeholder. Harper and Co. are totally held captive by the commercial sector because all they care about is big industry. Wow huge surprise there.

I suspect that the other parties don't know enough about this issue because no one has really talked them and informed them as to what the rec issues are - so there is an opportunity - any volunteers?

IMHO if you care about the environment and our fisheries DON'T vote for the Conservative's - or will we just get more of the same.

So the simple answer is no, you have no idea? I guess not being one of the party faithful I don't share your blind faith that things will be different, cause. My question was a reasonable one in the context it was asked, but obviously touched a nerve . At any rate I have taken the time to write my candidates about my concerns regarding rec fishery as well as other issues that concern me and suggest others do the same rather than just assume things would be different.

I'm not a 'party faithful' to any political party. I just know what will happen with another Harper govt, same old, same old. Didn't touch a nerve just stating the obvious here. Good on ya for writing your candidates, be great if more people did this. Now I'm thinking of doing something similar and sharing it with others. Thanks.

So the simple answer is no, you have no idea? I guess not being one of the party faithful I don't share your blind faith that things will be different, cause. My question was a reasonable one in the context it was asked, but obviously touched a nerve . At any rate I have taken the time to write my candidates about my concerns regarding rec fishery as well as other issues that concern me and suggest others do the same rather than just assume things would be different.

Nope I don't truthfully give a rats butt what they promise. I will pick someone besides the government now.

Yah because a conservative government is a great choice. A government that has deregulated watersheds, muzzled scientists, expanded fish farms, and decreased cash to salmon enhancement. Yes they are an extremely good choice for us all.

We all know that DFO has made huge cuts and their budgets have been whacked since Harper took over.
Do a Google search with " DFO Budget Cuts" if you would like to look at the record.
So can anyone tell me how Harper has been a friend of the recreational angler because where I'm sitting they have been a disaster for us and I have had to deal with it over the years. If anyone has not noticed, then they have not been paying attention.

You think budgets at DFO have taken a **** kickin.... we haven't seen anything yet....
Mind the date on this news piece.

Federal budget cuts $100 million from fisheries and oceans over three years

BY PETER O'NEIL AND GORDON HOEKSTRA, VANCOUVER SUN MARCH 21, 2013

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Fe...es+oceans+over+three+years/8133846/story.html

OTTAWA – The Harper government took another axe to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans in Thursday’s budget.The department will have to cut spending by $33 million a year starting in 2015-16 – the year the government vows to balance the budget.
But the federal Conservatives, who first cut Fisheries spending in the 2012 budget and watered down habitat protection legislation, tried to make amends with critics by increasing funding for habitat protection.
The money, more than $10 million over two years, will be aimed at local organizations who will presumably fill gaps left by the departure of Fisheries habitat officers since last year’s cuts.
Watershed Watch Salmon Society executive director Craig Orr said the $10 million boost could be helpful, but he added he would need to see more details.
And Orr is concerned about the additional budget cuts to DFO since they come before the federal government has responded to the Cohen Commission inquiry into loss of salmon stocks in B.C. The inquiry report cites “concern” over earlier staff cuts in DFO’s Pacific Region habitat management program.
“It seems to me with these big cuts, the federal government is ignoring the public interest in wild salmon,” said Orr.
The latest austerity measures start with a modest $4-million cut for this coming year and $5 million in 2014-15, then soar to $33 million annually for 2015-16 and subsequent years.
But the measures will target Ottawa headquarters and will be relatively painless to the regions, documents suggest. Bureaucrats are to target “administrative overhead,” reduce“duplication,” and improve decision-making.
“Organizational changes required to generate these savings will not impact front line staff or services to Canadians.”
The department has about 11,000 employees and an annual budget of just under $1.9 billion. The vast majority of its spending and staff are outside Ottawa.
Two measures in the budget appear to respond to criticism of cuts in 2012 of roughly one-third of habitat staff in B.C. and across the country.
Ottawa will contribute $10 million over two years across Canada for “partnerships” with local groups on fisheries and habitat conservation measures.
The Vancouver-based Pacific Salmon Foundation will see its funding increase from about $300,000 a year to $1 million as a result of changes in how the government allocates revenue from the sale of the conservation “stamps” fishermen have to purchase when they acquire licenses.
“This will allow the Foundation to fund additional projects to improve Pacific salmon habitat, in partnership with communities, first nations and non-profit organizations,” according to the budget.
Ottawa is sparing the aquaculture sector from austerity measures, extending for another year a program launched in 2008 aimed at enhancing “regulatory certainty” and “improving the conditions for a sustainable aquaculture sector.” The price tag for the renewal is $57.5 million over five years starting in 2013-14.
Mary Ellen Walling, executive director of the BC Salmon Farmers Association, welcomed the funding earmarked for aquaculture.
She noted the aquaculture sector has been working for some time to get in place a regulatory framework as there is essentially none now.
The only mention of aquaculture in federal legislation is in the Bank Act, she said.
Salmon farmers in B.C. work under a one-year licences, yet it takes two years to grow a crop, added Walling.
“For us to see some investment specifically to enhance regulatory certainty, I think is really quite good news for the whole sector,” she said.
The government also budgeted $33.1 million in the 2013-14 to extend programs on both coasts aimed at covering the cost of “integrating first nations fishing enterprises” into commercial fisheries.
The program was first announced on the West Coast in 2007, when the government proposed the establishment of a $175-million, five-year fund aimed at ending long-standing tensions between aboriginal and commercial fisheries on the West Coast.
The money was to be used by Ottawa to create “one fishery” in B.C. by buying licenses of commercial fishers seeking to leave the business. Those licenses could be passed on to first nations businesses, as well as establish “enhanced catch monitoring” and “strengthen enforcement efforts.”
A similar program has been ongoing in Atlantic Canada. Federal officials were unable to say how the $33.1 million in new money was to be divided between the two coasts.

Yup they increased the money to PSF...... that 6 bucks you pay on your fishing licence to go to conservation. You can do the math 300,000 anglers.... still short isn't it.

Yup those "partnerships" started out OK but now they have gone to crap too. You need an accountant and a lawyer to get that money. The accountant to file the paper work and a lawyer to enforce the contract you sign with them.

Yea.... those Con's have been a friend of the rec anglers.... I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Vote against whoever you want, I will choose to vote for someone,as opposed to voting against someone. Funny how no one knows what the oppositions stance is on the issue but are happy to support them on blind faith I suspect that's why these things never become election issues. I did a quick search and found commercial halibut allocation has been made an election issue in the Maritimes. Why, because the electorate made it one

Vote against whoever you want, I will choose to vote for someone,as opposed to voting against someone. Funny how no one knows what the oppositions stance is on the issue but are happy to support them on blind faith I suspect that's why these things never become election issues. I did a quick search and found commercial halibut allocation has been made an election issue in the Maritimes. Why, because the electorate made it one
No its not blind faith its 8 years of worst track record I have personally seen. Do what you want.

Back