MORE POWER!

For my weight comparisons I used the weight of the new Mercury 250hp 2-strokes vs the weight of the Yamaha 4-stroke and the Verado and multiplies the per engine difference times 2. My weight concerns are that I have a self bailing cockpit that drain directly overboard via scuppers. Normally theses scuppers are near the waterline. I have added a 9.9 kicker, downriggers and a new 5E generator plus an extra battery to my boat. At rest the scuppers are damn near under water so adding any more weight is an issue.

The Grady owners site has had lots of debate and Grady itself recommends that guys with the older (pre - factory 4-strokes) Grady's repower with new 2-strokes.

quote:Originally posted by bhemi

For my weight comparisons I used the weight of the new Mercury 250hp 2-strokes vs the weight of the Yamaha 4-stroke and the Verado and multiplies the per engine difference times 2. My weight concerns are that I have a self bailing cockpit that drain directly overboard via scuppers. Normally theses scuppers are near the waterline. I have added a 9.9 kicker, downriggers and a new 5E generator plus an extra battery to my boat. At rest the scuppers are damn near under water so adding any more weight is an issue.

The Grady owners site has had lots of debate and Grady itself recommends that guys with the older (pre - factory 4-strokes) Grady's repower with new 2-strokes.

You're bang on about that Bhemi--that forum is a great forum.

You'd have to do a lot of boating to get the $$$ back on 4 stroke conversion Bhemi--and you're bang on about your assessment.

Those Optimaxes and the 2 stroke EFIs are excellent engines with the exception of the earlier problems--they're wickedly powerful, and they'll blow any comparable Yamaha out of the water.

I've run a boat in the last 2 years with twin 250 Opti's and when it comes to taking a beating--those motors can take it and dish it out!

The fact is though, that EVERY motor manufacturer now days have superior engines, and RECENTLY there hasnt been any SIGNIFICANT problems with ANY of them. Now days, its about personal prefernce of 50lbs of extra weight.

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

The fact is though, that EVERY motor manufacturer now days have superior engines, and RECENTLY there hasnt been any SIGNIFICANT problems with ANY of them. Now days, its about personal prefernce of 50lbs of extra weight.

The engines are good, but what about the legs on a Mercury outboard, my leg died 6.1hours That in my opinion was a SIGNIFICANT problem. (Anyone else with a bad experience)? Plus the motor beeped at me all the time during use, the dealer could never find out what the problem was, believe me, I'm sticking to Yamaha now! Anyone else have a problem with a new Merc outboard?

overall there hasnt been any consistent problems, EVERY manufacturer will have its handful of screwed engines, as with any industry

I had the same intermittent alarm problem with the 115 Optim we bought two seasons ago. Everytime I was running at 4000 or passing thru 4000 slowly it would thro off an alarm. Checking the log on the smart gauge let us figure out that it was throwing off a "high rpm" error code even though I was only at 4000rpm. They changed some type of throttle sensor and the problem dissappeared. The problem came back a year latter and they changed the sensor again. The sensor is only something like a $30 part so I've just factored it in as a mandatory annual replacement part.

Other than that we've loved the engine. Run's great, fairly quiet, 150lbs lighter than the equiv 4 strokes and much better fuel efficiency than the carbureted 115 Merc I replaced.

I can look up the part number for the sensor if you need it.... my service guy made it sound like it was a fairly common and well understood gremlin....

SIR,

Thanks for the offer, but I sold it! :) Was sick of it. I must admit, it purred beautifully, except for the beeping once and awhile, and the leg at the 6.1hours into it. I have since purchased a new boat with 150HP Yamaha 4-stroke, so far so good, and loving it!

quote:Originally posted by bhemi

Unless I'm mistaken you stated in your first post the yammies weighed LESS than the mercs so by your statement you would be lighter with the yammies over the mercs

So I'm confused about what your getting at

Dear Penguin,

New Mercury 250hp 2-strokes 505lbs per engine

Verado 250hp 635 lbs per engine

Yamaha 250hp 4-stroke 592lbs per engine.

Total Difference vs 2-stroke for TWO engines
Verado +260lbs
Yamaha +174lbs

I can't make it any clearer. Maybe you're upside down from living on the wrong side of the world ;)

Mercury optimax is a great motor love mine and would never switch to a 4 stroke cost difference is a MAJOR reason why I think I used $225 dollars worth of outboard oil last year really not an isssue. and the amount of tourgue out of the whole on that boat I am up on plane in about 20 ft of water fuel wise 8.0 to 9.8 gallons an hour at 3700 rpm doing 30 to 33 mph with 5 people on board damn good.

Lets face it ALL of these major brands are excellent motors THEY all have some gremlins in them it is a personal thing and who you trust as a mechanic and service is where your decision should be more important!!!!! especially the SERVICE aspect that is key you can have one of these brands but if there isnt a good licensed and certified mech. in the area that can service your motor you may have to re think the type you want to buy.

Its like comparing Ford truck to GMC truck, by the way Ford wins for me personally.

Good luck Wolf

Well athough my Yamaha four stroke 225 was a 2004 model it was purchased brand new for 2700 less than I could have got the 225 optimax in 2006. my prevous motor was a Yamaha never a problem in 7 years of owning it. My close friend had a 2001 optimax and it was constantly getting repairs, blow compressors the main problem.

Not to worry you to much about owning an otpi, Wolf. Just raise me on the radio I'll have my yammy give ya tow. :D

O ya I also own a chev truck.

All in good fun.

M Chubby

Back