MORE POWER!

fishin_magician

the v8 350 was introduced at the miami boat show. It weighs in at the 860's lbs range, and in the next year/year and a half it will be upgraded to 400+ h.p, just by tinkering and tweaking with the current block, of 5.3L. Its been in the making for the last couple years, and was in a magazine last september. Suzuki also came out with a 300.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

OH MY GOD! Just when I thought all my boat toys were nice and paid for, they had to do a COOL NEW V8 OUTBOARD (Not the OMC POS they had years ago)! I'm so looking forward to one, hope the tips are good this season!

Well..if there's one thing...Mercury doesn't like coming in 2nd..and you can be sure that Mercury will develop a higher Horsepower Motor.

From what I've heard, the Yamaha 300 HPDI has some issues, and the F250 isn't exactly an angel either. Going to be interesting to see how these 350's work out. The Verado 275's have already put the boots to the Yammy 300's..and from what I've been hearing some of those Yammy's are NOT putting out advertised HP numbers. The NMMA allows for a 10% variation as far as I know. The Merc's have always been putting out advertised numbers, and usually more.

I'm sure Merc has something up it's sleeve, and you can bet that if they have former Porsche engineers and European technology/engineering behind them, they're going to develop something. The market is developing for higher horsepower outboard powered boats, and they're big boats at that. I think stern drive powered boats better look out as an outboard is going to be flashing past in a hurry! LOL.

The 300 yamaha was an HPDI, and yes it was troublesome to many people, and is no longer in production. The v8 puts 350hp AT the prop. And every major manufactures is going to be making these motors in the next 5 years or they will be left out, these new motors open a whole new doorway for boat manufacturers.

MIAMI, 1pm Feb.15, 2007 — In a dramatic cloke and dagger/dog and pony show, Yamaha Marine unveiled the boating industry’s first V8 5.3-liter, four-stroke outboard motor today at the Miami Boat Show. The Yamaha F350. produces 350 prop-shaft rated horsepower, and it is designed to provide massive thrust for the heaviest off-shore outboard-powered boats and outboard-powered boats the industry.

The rumor around the Yamaha booth was that at 5.4 ltrs, there are enough cubic inches in this engine to put out as much as 500 hp (some said more) in the coming years.

The Yamaha F350 provides up to 45 percent more thrust than 250-hp class outboards. The company’s first V8 outboard powerhead was designed specifically for the marine market and features more than 600 new parts. The design is a 60-degree V8 with 32 valves (four valves per cylinder) and double overhead cams. It uses variable camshaft timing to optimize the engine’s torque at low and mid-range rpm. With sequential, multi-point fuel injection, it has eight long intake tracks in the induction system to optimize power. In addition, it features In-Bank Exhaust with Dual Power Surge Chambers, a system that relieves pressure in the exhaust ports.

The F350 was designed from the beginning to power off-shore boats. However, it employs a number of new features designed to even further enhance its capabilities. A component of the UCP-II Ultimate Corrosion Protection System is an industry exclusive paint process for the proprietary Yamaha aluminum alloy engine block. It combats corrosion both inside and out, protecting the cooling passages and other key components. In addition, the outboard uses an “Ultra-Tough” gear case with dual water inlets for improved cooling. Inside the lower unit are hardened gears and enhanced bearings and surfaces for greater off-shore durability. Forged motor mounts and an oversized mounting bracket (with 6 transom thru bolts) also add to the F350’s portfolio of toughness.

Yamaha plans to begin deliveries to boat builder and dealer partners by summer 2007.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=24169
Msrp @ $26000

Magician....like anything new the verado 175,s and 200,s looked good in the box but sure failed in the dependability department. We had twenty or so on the dock last summer and were let down constantly. They kept the mech. busy all summer! The gas consumption was a eye opener too.As was the constant error codes that disabled the engines! Not guide friendly for us but like anything, needs some time to work out the problems. Looked good though haha.

those engine look sweet. i bet there will be 500hp outboards in the future[:p]

quote:Originally posted by powder

Magician....like anything new the verado 175,s and 200,s looked good in the box but sure failed in the dependability department. We had twenty or so on the dock last summer and were let down constantly. They kept the mech. busy all summer! The gas consumption was a eye opener too.As was the constant error codes that disabled the engines! Not guide friendly for us but like anything, needs some time to work out the problems. Looked good though haha.

I think all brands have some problems--and no argument there.

In the HP wars though, HP is king. Going to be interesting to see what happens in the next few years here. Optimaxes now shine like the sun, whereas Yamaha HPDIs took a beating from the HP ratings that they didn't meet--and the major mechanical issues, not to mention the massive powerhead service costs when the hours rack up on their 4 strokes.

As for the other post about ratings..350 propshaft HP is the advertised HP. To meet NMMA standards, the ratings must fall within 10% of this during production. According to the literature I read, Yamahas were failed to consistently meet this standard on several engines. In fact, the dyno'd HP figures were always less than the advertised HP. Whereas Merc's usu. met or exceeded their numbers.

If anything, Merc leads in market share, and the dealer network is 2nd to none.

I'll put my money with Merc.

I t

Dependability, reliability,

Other than looking cool why would anyone pick a Mercury over a Yamaha?? Must be the same reasons you would buy a Harley.

quote:Originally posted by BentGaff

Hey Magician,,,,,,Do you know Gibran White???

No, I don't know Gibran White. Sorry.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

^^^^^ I'm curious, what powerhead service costs? I don't know of anyone who has a big Yam (MYself included) who has done anyhing but change the oil?

Was speaking with a few people who run twin big F250 Yamahas, and Yamaha dealers on the East Coast--who service nothing but Grady's, Regulators, etc..

Coming from those guys---as Yamaha Dealers...they have more than a few misgivings about them when the hours stack up!

I'll always put my dough on ya ma husband can make it
or the honda over mercury

horse power at the prop - as I understood it mercury was the last to rate their motors at the prop. they were forced to unveil alot of hp loss and had to rework their motor line up to produce the hp at the prop the others were already doing

I'm sure yama and honda will bring out a better product quickly

I remember when honda brought out their 200 225 hp 5cyl "accord" motor and the naysayers said it was crap - as far as I know its still worth the dough!

With the dependability of these 4 strokes in question, have you considered the Evinrude E-TEC.

I have often thought of switching to four strokes for better fuel economy and less smoke/noise. I run twin Mercury 250efi Offshores. The downside is weight and cost. Verado 250's weigh 635lbs each. Yamaha 4-strokes weigh 592 lbs each. That is a weight penalty of between 174 and 260 lbs sitting way back on your transom. For the price of new ones I can buy a lot of gas. I only have 365hrs on the Mercs and will run them until they drop. I'm using Shell's 2 stroke oil and except for start-up it does not smoke.

Another point. I looked at Yamaha's website. There is a nine pound weight difference between the 225hp and 250hp 4-strokes. Same bore/stroke displacement. Same alternator. Same compression. Where do they add the nine lbs and where does the extra 25hp come from. Cam? Timing? Fuel delivery?

blemi Unless I'm mistaken you need to study math some more mercury vs yammis the numbers you posted the yammis weigh less 43 lbs less by your numbers so that 86 lbs less for the ya ma husband do it

Lastly reg the 225/250 yammis and a gain of 9lbs for the 250 - seems like a deal to me 9lbs to gain 25hp

quote:Originally posted by The Penguin

blemi Unless I'm mistaken you need to study math some more mercury vs yammis the numbers you posted the yammis weigh less 43 lbs less by your numbers so that 86 lbs less for the ya ma husband do it

Lastly reg the 225/250 yammis and a gain of 9lbs for the 250 - seems like a deal to me 9lbs to gain 25hp

On a boat that has twin 250's hanging off the back, the weight difference doesn't mean diddley. Grady's like a Marlin are bow heavy. On a boat like Bhemis though built as a 28, his boat was built for 2 strokes, so weight savings is a valid concern.

Back