More on the truck themes....

Cuba Libre

How come I cant find a 3/4 ton long box 4x4 any more? My old 1996 Chevy Cheyenne with a 5.7 Vortec is starting to show its age, even though it only has 166,500 kms. Its been a pretty good unit that carrys my 9.4ft camper and will at the same time, will pull the Cuba Libre. But it seems no manufacturer makes this type of long box truck any more.... and I dont want a one ton crew cab beast that needs a pilot car just to maneuver around the Canadian Tire parking lot!!! Any ideas out there?

I believe you almost have to order a long box truck these days... and most ppl are going to the 1 ton and there is some sort of tax benefit with the 1 tons because they are classed as a work vehicle... or something like that...
My buddy is a manager for one of the many Pattisson dealerships... I asked him the same question a year ago...

Yep, it's the tax deal on new rigs. Give it to the tax man when buying a 3/4 ton or... Since you're spending the dough anyway, get the 1 ton and pilot vehicle for the same price.

I tried to buy a used 3/4 with low K's and 8 foot box, impossible task. All 1 tons for sale or F150's which didn't do it for me.

not sure I would be worried about 3/4 ton or 1 ton as much as the cab/box configuration...there is no differnce in the physical size of the trucks...

a 3/4 ton ext.cab long box is the same size as a 1ton ext.cab long box

Still lots of them on the roads in Northern Alberta? But there is far more demand for trucks out here for sure. I have a Dodge 2500 Quad Cab with an 8 foot box that I bought when I still lived on the Island. Although I think they brought it in from Calgary at the time? It is only 19 inches longer than the regular quad cab. Its really not that bad to get around in.....but you will want to back it into spots at the mall....lol Talk to a dealer or broker and I'm sure you'll find what you want? Cheers!

Try the interior of BC. I purchased my old 92 diesel in Kelowna and my current 2006 diesel in Kamloops.

Edmonton. Truck capital of the planet. I flew there to get mine and drove it back with no plates. Got stopped 4 times each by a fairly excited RCMP person. Of course I had the correct papers so there was only time waisted.

How come I cant find a 3/4 ton long box 4x4 any more? My old 1996 Chevy Cheyenne with a 5.7 Vortec is starting to show its age, even though it only has 166,500 kms. Any ideas out there?

Sorry but I can't resist, first off you bought a "chevy"........................Oh Boy, is this going to get this list going!!!!................and a gas engine............here we go again.........and
only 166,500kms and it's showing it's age? So what, what's wrong with it? In 1996 I bought a 1996 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel, it has 532,320kms on it as of today and still gets 25 mpg running empty and when fully loaded it gets around 14 to 15 mpg pulling a load of anywhere from 18,000 to 22,000 lbs. The only major work I've put into it was rebuild the steering box, brakes, an alternator (last year), a rad (last year) and a few U-joints.........in fact the main drive shaft still had the original joints until last year, when I thought it might be time to change them. It is a standard tranny and the clutch is original factory installed. The first dodge diesel I bought was in 1990 and after heading to the kootnays loaded to the hilt, the scales were closed but I thought I would check out the weight, the rear axle on the truck weighed in at 8450lbs (this was a 3/4 ton single rear wheel axle).......in those days 8500lb was max for the entire pick-up. If I remember right I think I was around 21,000 something total (hope there are no CSVE people on here) and new it was going to break this 3/4 ton pu so we got a 1 ton dually in 1996 and it's still going today even with the rust finally coming through.

Like I said, I just couldn't resist to put my 2 cents worth into this

Thanks for the feedback guys--- Directmule-- glad things with the diesel worked out for you. However, I know enough people that have had exactly the opposite experience, so I am leary. One of my buddies had a brand new dodge diesel blow up on him with 356 kms on it!!! yes-- they replaced it, but to took 3 weeks to get the new engine installed.

Back