Mooching Weights

nedarb2

What ounce weights hould i be using for mooching? All ican find is between 2 and 6 ounces on the web :p

Nebarb if you go to the home page on this site.You'll find some links to Barry's bait and tackle,or Island outfitters.I just recently ordered a few 8 oz weights along with some other gear from Barry's .They were shipped to me within a few days.I've used mostly the 8oz or 10oz weights.

great thanks - one more thing, should i stick with straight lead or are the vinyl colored red ones any better? worse? Thanks :)

I've seen many times where springs have hit a colored slider weight at the size of the boat! Sooooooooo saying that I think it does have a "attraction" role in mooching. If I was strickly on a hog hunt I would probally tone down on the colors and increase the leader size.

No offense guys, but 8 ounce might be a bit heavy.
It all depends on the speed of water you are fishing, depth, live bait or cut plug.

Still waters can be as low as 1 1/2 or 2 ounce. Angle of line fron rod tip is the indicator of required weight size, in my humble opinion.

Nedarb, here's a link to Puget Sound Anglers theory on mooching.
Good idea's on the type of weight to use, although I think they're wrong on the angle (45 degree).
http://www.how-to-fish.com/mooching_for_salmon_how_to.htm

Where are you planning on mooching?

Used to do a lot of mooching and agree with 8 oz and sticking with one weight type to learn the ropes. I think the sliders are better but slack line strikes are less dramatic with sliders. I say better heavier than lighter as still most fish are near bottom even if you are fishing in 50-70 ft of water. Mooching can mean a lot of things, e.g in tidal current, in close and very slow near kelp, live bait or cut plugs, etc. Where you plan on mooching?

I am with most of the guys, especially if you are motor mooching... 8oz on one line, 6oz on the other (never found that color vs straight "lead" made any difference)... I like using the different weights to get different profiles through the water... then when one works, match them up... I would stick with 6 or 8 oz though.

All the fishing I did for the first 20 years of my life was mooching/stripping for coho on ECVI. We always used 2 or 3 oz (sometimes 4 oz) depending how fast the drift was on the given day.

We always used the bright red weights

Ok here is a very good tip for you all for mooching. If you use 2 oz to 2 lbs I made this up from an idea from an oldtimer at the lodge!!!!

Buy the bulk scotty downrigger clips put a 8 inch piece of mono any test you want(50lb is what i use) on the clip end crimp or tie a knot on the other end I use a nice big snap so now you have to do is clip on any size weight you want 20 oz to 2 lbs you can vary depending on fishing conditions put your cut plug whole, herring, spoon, plug what ever you are using let out your line to what you want to fish 8 ft or 30 ft and clip the downrigger clip right on to your main line (just like the ol coat hanger days on the big bead swival with 100 lb test LOL).

Now when you get a fish and it get close to the boat just reach up grab the clip and throw in the boat now its true sport fishing no weight or flasher just you and the fish I use this a lot and you never loose the weight have the same set up now for almost 5 years!!!

The best part is you dont have a banana weight or ball swinging in the air bonking you in the head when you are about to net a fish trust me a guest will!!!!!!!!! there excited and they want the fish but its all good LOL

Good luck Wolf

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Ok here is a very good tip for you all for mooching. If you use 2 oz to 2 lbs I made this up from an idea from an oldtimer at the lodge!!!!

Buy the bulk scotty downrigger clips put a 8 inch piece of mono any test you want(50lb is what i use) on the clip end crimp or tie a knot on the other end I use a nice big snap so now you have to do is clip on any size weight you want 20 oz to 2 lbs you can vary depending on fishing conditions put your cut plug whole, herring, spoon, plug what ever you are using let out your line to what you want to fish 8 ft or 30 ft and clip the downrigger clip right on to your main line (just like the ol coat hanger days on the big bead swival with 100 lb test LOL).

Now when you get a fish and it get close to the boat just reach up grab the clip and throw in the boat now its true sport fishing no weight or flasher just you and the fish I use this a lot and you never loose the weight have the same set up now for almost 5 years!!!

The best part is you dont have a banana weight or ball swinging in the air bonking you in the head when you are about to net a fish trust me a guest will!!!!!!!!! there excited and they want the fish but its all good LOL

Good luck Wolf

Being as this angler is not particularly strong at converting the written word into practice, anyway you can post a picture of your setup?

Would be greatly appreciated!

Sure ill take a pic of it tommorow when i am down on the boat for you.

Wolf

Used that set-up and 12 or 16 oz. sliding balls for trolling before I got a bigger boat. Can add some excitement, for sure. You always breathed a sigh of relief when you got the weight off.

I could see fishing in Nitnat, or shallow for coho, a 2-3 oz could do the job. I am thinking mooching in the salt for chinook 8 oz. Banana weight, or round slider, color or no color will make little difference when mooching for chinook. I do think weights attached to the mainline, particularly 6-8 oz, do result in more chance of loosing fish when they are thrashing around. If I was fishing Nitnat I would go with a 6 oz round slider, 6 feet above my cut plug (that was brined well the night before), and I would motor mooch real slow.

Sorry for the delay 5 salt but here you go!!!!!!!!!!!! my personal set up for mooching

sportfishingbcstuff004.jpg

sportfishingbcstuff003.jpg

Back