Mooching livies on the sunshine coast

el.Pereh

I will be heading up twice this summer in a couple of boats. Would love to try live mooching. I have a copy of "Maximum Salmon" by DC Ried and am sure things havent changed much tackle/tactics wise since it was put out.

I am just hoping that I can get some info on spots to target using this method anywhere from secret cove to texada ish. Late June and late July are the trip dates.

Just had a memory attack from over 40 years ago when reading the title of this thread.

One day back then my Dad, Brother-in-law to be and I bought a bucketful of livies and headed to the Gap, near Gibsons.

Rigging up with one small single and one small sticky sharp treble and an ounce of weight we started mooching for Coho.

It was nutso city with hookup after hookup, double headers, much hooting and laughing and a couple of dead Coho for the table.

That was the one and only time I fished the Gap with livies as I was living on the Island then and only got over to Sechelt a couple times a year, but had I lived there I would have been out there a whole lot more.

Great fun day and a fond memory for me.

Thanks for conjuring it up.

Take care.

Just had a memory attack from over 40 years ago when reading the title of this thread.

One day back then my Dad, Brother-in-law to be and I bought a bucketful of livies and headed to the Gap, near Gibsons.

Rigging up with one small single and one small sticky sharp treble and an ounce of weight we started mooching for Coho.

It was nutso city with hookup after hookup, double headers, much hooting and laughing and a couple of dead Coho for the table.

That was the one and only time I fished the Gap with livies as I was living on the Island then and only got over to Sechelt a couple times a year, but had I lived there I would have been out there a whole lot more.

Great fun day and a fond memory for me.

Thanks for conjuring it up.

Take care.
I miss mooching with live so much that I actually get a catch in my throat thinking about it. It was how I learned to fish: Gower Point, Gospel Rock, Camp Byng, Salmon Rock, Twin Islands, Anderson Bay, Bjerre Shoal, A Frame. The best of times with my dad and grandfather.

I’ve thought a few times over the last two months that I’m glad my grandfather didn’t have to see where we’ve landed today. It would have broken his heart.

Anyway, sorry for the slight hijack. As livies are only available at Secret Cove, I would still try Anderson Bay and Pt. Upwood. Please let us know how you do.

Mooching live bait for Springs or Coho can be the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I love it. Not many guys do it anymore. Just a hint if you're going for Springs, try using just one size 10 treble with 10lb. fluorocarbon leader, six to 10 ft. of leader and the the weight will depend on the current. 1 1/2 oz, 2 oz, to 3 oz. Don't bypass Epson Pt., it can be very good and it is a lot closer than Texada Island. Myself personally I like to fish in 150-180ft. of water on the flood. Go down to the bottom and then bring it up 20-30 reels, and don't leave it on the bottom long because something will take it and more than likely it won't be a Spring.

Mooching live bait for Springs or Coho can be the most fun you can have with your clothes on. I love it. Not many guys do it anymore. Just a hint if you're going for Springs, try using just one size 10 treble with 10lb. fluorocarbon leader, six to 10 ft. of leader and the the weight will depend on the current. 1 1/2 oz, 2 oz, to 3 oz. Don't bypass Epson Pt., it can be very good and it is a lot closer than Texada Island. Myself personally I like to fish in 150-180ft. of water on the flood. Go down to the bottom and then bring it up 20-30 reels, and don't leave it on the bottom long because something will take it and more than likely it won't be a Spring.

Hey Ripper if using one treble how do you hook the herring?

I miss mooching with live so much that I actually get a catch in my throat thinking about it. It was how I learned to fish: Gower Point, Gospel Rock, Camp Byng, Salmon Rock, Twin Islands, Anderson Bay, Bjerre Shoal, A Frame. The best of times with my dad and grandfather.

I’ve thought a few times over the last two months that I’m glad my grandfather didn’t have to see where we’ve landed today. It would have broken his heart.

Anyway, sorry for the slight hijack. As livies are only available at Secret Cove, I would still try Anderson Bay and Pt. Upwood. Please let us know how you do.
Where is A frame? Agamemnon channel?

Sangster, bjerre shoals, pirates rock, epsom have all been really good to me over the years mooching for springs and coho. Early morning starts 1oz of weight maybe 2 at most. 1 hook through the nose and 1 just through the skin on the side about 1" in front of the tail.

Back