Missing Chinooks......

Seafever

Just a thought......I'm not a marine biologist:-

(1) At start of year huge run of Chinook predicted to return south past Van.Isle

(2) Alaskan fisherman report record Chinook catches

(3) Van Isle fishermen still wondering where they are.....and it's almost September

Could it be that :-

Many Chinook did not actually return but are still up there for another year due to some genetic glitch? (or other factor)

Inside Van Island report the best fishing in 20 yrs

Sent from my iPhone

The forecast was for huge returns to the Columbia and other hatchery supported Chinook runs. There are lots of them swimming along the west coast of Vancouver Island.......their historic migration path.

Anglers. Gone fishin.

Sent from my iPhone

I fish the northern Strait of Georgia,from CR across to the mainland and down to Comox area.

I find the size of the fish are down but the numbers are up.

May was the best chinook fishing I have seen,full limits every trip pretty much! June was great also except we never got that run of bigger fish(Fraser fish?) we usually get around Bates beach.

July was good around CR with some bigger fish.
August has had good numbers,but no big ones...yet!

I agree that inside was the best I have seen for many years but the area around Winter Harbour was the poorest since 2008. Maybe just a local thing!

Been at Alder Bay for the past 5 weeks - pretty good returns, although most in the teens and low 20's. Although a 42 lb hog was weighed in yesterday and a 38 the day before - regrettably not by me ( for SFBC Derby purposes).

BigB here is the 42 feom yesterday, a buddy from nanaimo caught it fishing the green can off quadra, reportedly a 4 inch copcar
ae529ff2061102904a94adf90f95a5ec.jpg
Some hogs out there right now ! I agree thou the predicted huge run musta took a right turn at the top of the island :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFO was saying last week that a large group of 30lb plus fish are missing on the West Coast/Nootka area. Still to arrive or simple mia, not sure? I know they were probing around Nootka asking lodge owners if they are seeing high numbers of 30lb plus fish which were expected. The answer in Nootka thus far this year is they have not arrived.

Good observation

Theb55:- I don't know who's reporting it....but they're full of sh*t.

The first accurate report. We always hear reports of The Columbia River success story as they manage their Fishery well, and include them in our forecasts. We essentially have no definitive management plan in BC for Chinook Salmon. The federal plan is to phase out wild stocks.In favor of pipelines Hydro river dams and Fish Farms. That will silence the Lobbyist. . Proof is the Salmon derby is on again in Barclay sound. Let's kick the S*** out of what's left of dismal returns in recent years.

The first accurate report. We always hear reports of The Columbia River success story as they manage their Fishery well, and include them in our forecasts. We essentially have no definitive management plan in BC for Chinook Salmon. The federal plan is to phase out wild stocks.In favor of pipelines Hydro river dams and Fish Farms. That will silence the Lobbyist. . Proof is the Salmon derby is on again in Barclay sound. Let's kick the S*** out of what's left of dismal returns in recent years.

Cabezon if you grab both of your ears and pull firmly you might be able to pull your head out of your butt...Here's hoping

There sure would be a larger number of smaller fish this year. No one is mentioning how immature they are. The roe and sacks have not developed more then the size of a golf pencil. Not only here but all around the island. I have been dealing with the 213 entrants in the SFBC 2014 Derby and I can really see what the average is this year caught by our members and their family's. I was sure I would have seen way more fish caught over 20 lbs. Youd be shocked how few fish over 20 pounds have been entered, 23 infact.

I must admit I am relieved to read that others struggled for big fish this year off WCVI. I was beginning to overthink it and began looking for lucky charms......... The total numbers were good, but the size was definitely off.

I've heard the same from the crew in Quatsino - biggest fish period was a patch of high 20's in late june (probably nootka fish). good numbers most of the summer except when the trollers thinned things out a while back.

I can’t help wonder if the mutant sizes and immature reproductive organs aren’t a result of the radiation from the Japan, Fukushima reactor disaster.

Huge runs= competition for feed= smaller fish=leap year returns.

Theb55:-

Sockeye:- looks like decent numbers on the inside this year so far.....but a prediction of "from 7 to 72 million' is a "can't go wrong " forecast. No matter what comes back they'll have been right.
7 million? 12 million? 30 million? 50 million?
Sort of like saying if you wake up tomorrow there's a zero to 100% chance that it will be light outside.

Coho:- not bad so far.....but I wouldn't use the term "epic".

Pinks.......good numbers of Pinks, yes.

Chinook.......comparing past (and personal experiences) reports to this year for ECVI.........don't see anything "epic" at all yet. My biggest fish this year so far is a 12 lb'er.....but I've gotten quite a few of those. Other years I've had much bigger Chins, fishing the same areas. Haven't even bothered fishing Nanaimo yet this year. This time last year (and before) I'd do good there.

Reports from others indicate there were some bigger fish around for sure on this side. But for every report where a guy got a couple of decent fish I can show you three "skunked" reports from others behind it.

If you look at Chinook only.........nothing to write home about really.......so far.

Maybe those tons of Chinooks off west Haida Gwaii are still to come.......but it is getting late....

Back