Mexico Fishing Trips

Earlier is better. Roosters are mostly done by end of January. Tuna are a water temp game of course.

Panga captains will go offshore if you want, just check on their equipment and capabilities. All the billfish and tuna I've caught have been with from a 26 ft panga.

Earlier is better. Roosters are mostly done by end of January. Tuna are a water temp game of course.

Panga captains will go offshore if you want, just check on their equipment and capabilities. All the billfish and tuna I've caught have been with from a 26 ft panga.
Got this one in February from a guide out of San Pancho (just north of PV)

Attachments

• 71C277C1-AE5B-4BEA-8459-B7E8AA3A2509.jpeg
    71C277C1-AE5B-4BEA-8459-B7E8AA3A2509.jpeg
    409.1 KB · Views: 83
Just got back from Cabo a few weeks ago and fished again with El Budster as they have been good to us over the years. We usually fish early in our trip so we have fish in the fridge and freezer for our entire stay. We told them we wanted to target tuna and dorado and didn't want marlin. We got dorado and a couple of yellow fin when my wife hooked in to a marlin. The deck hand pulled it in to the boat and my wife said it was just hooked in the side of the mouth so let it go. The deck hand said it was too badly hooked and we said no it wasn't. I went to the captain as he has control of the boat and asked if the fish had a good chance of survival. He said, yes it could be. My wife and I picked it up and put it over the edge. It paused and then splashed and swam away. We did what we thought was right? I hate it when others try to screw people around for their own benefit!
1703039260826.png

Has anyone on had any experience with fishing out of the Huatulco? I'd appreciate any tips/info on quality successful guides/boats/vessels and accommodation. We have done Cabo so looking for a an experience that has just as good fishing and weather but in a different area of Mexico. Huatulco has been chosen by others in our group for various reasons but I'm tasked to find out about the fishing and some accommodation choices close to the fishing. I suspect staying somewhere on or near the marina and we'd be wanting to hire guide/boats for both some inshore casting/jigging (pangas) and hopefully some Dorado, Jack Crevalle, Roosters, Yellow tail and Stripped Marlin as well as do some offshore in a larger vessel ....hopefully some yellowfin there. I understand plenty of dorado there but not sure about all the others I mention. Time of year has not been chosen yet but likely Late January to April for 10-12 days. Thanks for any info you have !
Yes!! I got a guy! My buddy has fished with him for 10 years (we were casually talking about my trip to Huatulco)and put me onto him. Frickin nailed it, loaded us with sailfish and mahi. So I sent my neighbour....loaded him with marlin and mahi. Heres a pic, love Huatulco. Sent you a pm with a contact if you're interested.

Attachments

• IMG-20231219-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20231219-WA0004.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Has anyone on had any experience with fishing out of the Huatulco? I'd appreciate any tips/info on quality successful guides/boats/vessels and accommodation. We have done Cabo so looking for a an experience that has just as good fishing and weather but in a different area of Mexico. Huatulco has been chosen by others in our group for various reasons but I'm tasked to find out about the fishing and some accommodation choices close to the fishing. I suspect staying somewhere on or near the marina and we'd be wanting to hire guide/boats for both some inshore casting/jigging (pangas) and hopefully some Dorado, Jack Crevalle, Roosters, Yellow tail and Stripped Marlin as well as do some offshore in a larger vessel ....hopefully some yellowfin there. I understand plenty of dorado there but not sure about all the others I mention. Time of year has not been chosen yet but likely Late January to April for 10-12 days. Thanks for any info you have !
just got back . i only went out for 6 hours.. we got into 10 or so dorado and a stripe marlin. i will message you the contact. 26' panga with a brand new zuki 140. gear was good and guys travelled to get to warm water where the fish where. 20 miles out. i will send you a dm

just got back . i only went out for 6 hours.. we got into 10 or so dorado and a stripe marlin. i will message you the contact. 26' panga with a brand new zuki 140. gear was good and guys travelled to get to warm water where the fish where. 20 miles out. i will send you a dm
Did you go with Juan?

Just got back from Cabo a few weeks ago and fished again with El Budster as they have been good to us over the years. We usually fish early in our trip so we have fish in the fridge and freezer for our entire stay. We told them we wanted to target tuna and dorado and didn't want marlin. We got dorado and a couple of yellow fin when my wife hooked in to a marlin. The deck hand pulled it in to the boat and my wife said it was just hooked in the side of the mouth so let it go. The deck hand said it was too badly hooked and we said no it wasn't. I went to the captain as he has control of the boat and asked if the fish had a good chance of survival. He said, yes it could be. My wife and I picked it up and put it over the edge. It paused and then splashed and swam away. We did what we thought was right? I hate it when others try to screw people around for their own benefit!
View attachment 100898

I will be back to Cabo for sure but for this trip we are going to change it up a bit and go further south of PV. I've suggested to the others if they'd want to perhaps even consider Costa Rica or Panama. For Cabo next trip, I will definitely look up Jobe Villavicencio again and go out on the El Diablo, an Albemarle 36', like we did last January. Or a smaller boat via TAG if a smaller group. Fishing was great with Jobe and his deckhand, particularly for striped Marlin at that time. We got multiple striped Marlin each day we went looking for them. The best day we were drift fishing and tossing bait we jigged up. Tons of fun. We had about a dozen Striped Marlin on the lines and landed about 8 before going after Dorado. We then landed 5 Dorado that we kept for a few dinners. Captain Tony's cooked some of what we kept - a million different ways and we had lots left to take home ... fabulous. Thanks to Bod on this forum for all the info as he fishes with Jobe V. on El Diablo every December.

Last edited:
Yes!! I got a guy! My buddy has fished with him for 10 years (we were casually talking about my trip to Huatulco)and put me onto him. Frickin nailed it, loaded us with sailfish and mahi. So I sent my neighbour....loaded him with marlin and mahi. Heres a pic, love Huatulco. Sent you a pm with a contact if you're interested.
Please send me that contact info as well.

We fished Huatulco last year and landed 5 dorado and lost a few more out of a panga. It was a ton of fun. I found that the gear was super heavy and took some of the enjoyment out of it.

I’m planning on taking some fly gear with me and exploring Playa LaBocana for some beach snook.

Please send me that contact info as well.

We fished Huatulco last year and landed 5 dorado and lost a few more out of a panga. It was a ton of fun. I found that the gear was super heavy and took some of the enjoyment out of it.

I’m planning on taking some fly gear with me and exploring Playa LaBocana for some beach snook.
PM sent, yes the gear is heavy but that's because you don't know whats gonna hit it. Box of chocolates......
The first sailfish we got hit on this Bait reel, A little Avet we had out, which leant to an hour long battle for my buddy. But kudos to Juan his gear was maintained and nothing broke. La Bocana has a pretty heavy surf, and is quite shallow. maybe at the rivermouth? there's always a shrimp fisherman there casting a net. Watch for quick sinking mud.

Hi Guys

The wife and I are going to Tulum during spring break and would like to do a half day fishing charter, any suggestions? It needs to be a comfortable boat with a bathroom etc to keep the wife happy. Not particular on what we catch would just be fun to catch some big tropical fish.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for all the info about Huatulco, on here and the DM's. Dogbreath, I would like to hear that story about the issue with going on the beaches at night so will message you at some point. A decision has been made to go to Puerto Escondido instead of Huatulco due to some confusion on locations by one of the guys and that one of the guys will already be in Puerto Escondido and has a rental place there. So after all that we will be looking for guide and boat/boats to get out fishing in the Puerto Escondido area. Either Feb/March 2024 or wait til next winter. Any recommendations on a boat/guide would be appreciated - Thank you. Anyone have any experience with https://www.puertofishing.com/

Please send me Huatulco fishing contacts as well. I have fished there once before and was disappointed with the captain. We did get a few small dorado bu no billfish or tuna

Had one hell of a day out of PV yesterday . On what was supposed to be a non fishing trip with the family , and the old man suprised us with a 12 hour trip on Danny Osunas new 30’ super panga “ O -Tuna “ . All I can say is wow . Top knotch gear , boat , fish care everything, and danny is an absolute riot to fish with . He ended up telling us he wanted to stretch the trip a bit free of cost , we ran approx 58 miles and found the most wide open yellowfin bite I’ve ever been apart . Spinner dolphins and bird piles as far as the eye could see , running up on these bird piles fishing fly lined or baloon rigged caballitos , we were getting 1 - 3 bites every time we stopped . Ended up with 7 yft 100 - 130 lbs ( losing 3 more , one he estimated 180 lbs ) , 9 dorado and 1 sailfish release . Banner dayA8F0B943-4C22-4E97-B816-A3B695B390EA.jpeg3133FDD4-C5EC-4392-BD8E-2808F38D1212.jpegC0B83A07-8F63-4B70-8B79-995D0F3BDA0D.jpegA651A0C7-ECB8-4318-88EB-32EEC4F44C04.jpeg471ED9D1-A751-4635-B8D7-EA1281D9BB85.jpeg37A0EB80-3B0C-47FD-9777-B29D61612E66.jpeg0CA39A81-23C3-4BC6-ACDD-E71F4E8363F1.jpeg

Last edited:
Back