Mercruiser power steering

Gypseas

Got me my first I/O this summer and been having some "fun" with making her more fish-able.

Having some experience with hydraulic steering on my last two boats, I thought it wouldn't be too big a deal switching to hydraulic only from cable/power steering that the boat came with. Main reasoning behind it was installing a rear steering station interconnecting with the front steering and some "wondering" when not on plane.

So I pulled the cable out, the power steering cylinder, cut the power steering pump hoses and re-route them to the fluid cooler, installed the new hydraulic cylinder and seastar HH5271 1.7ci. Took it out a couple of weeks ago to find out the steering is quite a work out under power.
Just found that I may need to buy another seastar power steering pump($1900) or go back to hydraulic/power steering($1200)...got a few months to tinker with it till the fishing season.

Was wondering what you guys have for main steering on an I/O and how do you control your kicker when trolling.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

anyway this is the new cylinder installed.

DSC5563551.jpg

In the new year gypseas ill come by and take a look if you want and maybe check out what i did on my boat...
Wolf

I have hydraulic in my Hourston. The boat came with it from the factory 35 years ago and it still going strong. I did put a Panther electric system in last year when I put the new kicker on with forward controls(about $500). One season in and no problems..

In the new year gypseas ill come by and take a look if you want and maybe check out what i did on my boat...
Wolf
Thank you Roy I'll take you up on your offer if you have some free time.
cheers

I have hydraulic in my Hourston. The boat came with it from the factory 35 years ago and it still going strong. I did put a Panther electric system in last year when I put the new kicker on with forward controls(about $500). One season in and no problems..

Thanks for the reply Casper. If your system is hydraulic only I wonder if I am doing something wrong or maybe something is binding. Steering wheel is 14some inches and I run a mercruiser 496mag 375ponies w bravo2 leg.

Might have to add that the day I took it out, motor would not rev up above 2000rpm, didn't stop and tinker with it in the harbour but rather go around the spit and then stop and try adjusting the throttle. I eventually increased it to around 2400rpm, barely coming on plane and kept going towards Otter pt. About Bluffs midway I had to stop, starting to smell burned rubber. Opened the dog house to find newly installed marine wet exhaust had a hole burned through and exhaust+water coming inside the boat . Lotsa fun ;) coming back at half throttle and still the steering was hard to handle.

Keep ya posted
Cheers

Gypseas sorry to hear of problems. My set-up is all stock from Hourston. Small block Ford 351W, I think about 240 hp and a 280 Volvo leg. Just took the exhaust manifolds off because of a exhaust leak. In to the shop to get surface planed end of week and hope to get them back soon to get out there fishing. Hope to see Wolf some time in the season and see his "Stroked Motor" as I'm thinking that's what I'm going to do next winter.

Hi Gypseas
Sorry to hear you are having problems with the steering
Running at that rpm and not been on the plane I would guess there would be a lot of pressure on the leg and that might explain why it is hard to turn
It should get easier when on the plan.
How is the steering when not in gear

Steering is still not like the last two hydraulic on outboard but half as stiff as when under power.
You know what they say about doing the job right the second time LOL.
When in doubt you got to have a
k195891_US20WW220Thompson20M192120Colt20with20a2050-round20drum20_and_a-1.jpg
about.

:)
looks like I might need a different pump with a lower capacity to increase torque on cylinder.
Not throwing the towel in just yet
cheers

Hi Gypseas
Sorry to hear you are having problems with the steering
Running at that rpm and not been on the plane I would guess there would be a lot of pressure on the leg and that might explain why it is hard to turn
It should get easier when on the plan.
How is the steering when not in gear

Back