melting pot

dwflyrod

what type of melting pot do you use to do 15 lb cannon balls looking to make one for myself thanks Don

I melt in a large stainless pot on burner then i have a laydel that holds 20lbs that i use to pour the melted lead

Is making your own balls that cost effective? Just curious seems like you only save a few bucks a ball and then all the work involved ? I don't lose that many a season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Just be careful, make sure you do it outside, the fumes are not good for your health.

Is making your own balls that cost effective? Just curious seems like you only save a few bucks a ball and then all the work involved ? I don't lose that many a season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Doing it myself I save about half. It is a day's event. But I barter the extra ones I make or sell off to pay for the lead. If your not losing any then yeah no sense in making them.... Enough of us do.
Outside always!

I use 1/2 of a 20 lb propane tank with a spout and t bar handle
Ingots are cast in a c channel mold
f60b585411d8ff3d91da6ebe7bad4c91.jpg

Does about 60 lbs of wheel weights at a time for a 40 lb pour

Mine is 10" water pipe (8" would be better). The spout swings down using 3/4 pipe thread. And a turkey deep fryer burner. My limitation is the burner, I only trust it for about 100lbs.

Back