Massive Blue Marlin Caught

The Hawaii skippers wont release the fish unless you are willing to pay them what it would sell for at the dock. Completely asinine in my opinion. Completely different than in Mexico where they understand that they can make more money guiding when there are actual fish to be caught than to kill off their livelihood.

The Hawaii skippers wont release the fish unless you are willing to pay them what it would sell for at the dock. Completely asinine in my opinion. Completely different than in Mexico where they understand that they can make more money guiding when there are actual fish to be caught than to kill off their livelihood.

Is that a joke? They are absolute savages anywhere in Mexico I have been.

Is that a joke? They are absolute savages anywhere in Mexico I have been.

Not sure but I have released 2 mid size blues in Hawaii as well as one in Mexico, no issues.
Both Hawaiian skippers said the same thing " No market for Blue marlin so they are not worth killing" so they were good with my catch and release requests prior to leaving the dock.

Gulf of Mexico side-- billfish are commonly released. Not so much on the southern Pacific side.. They either feed the boat crew or go to market. Its a matter of economics for them and feeding their families and i dont have a problem with that.

Both times I caught marlin in Manzanillo area, the skipper was on the phone before we returned to port. Half his extended family were milling around the dock waiting for us. The fish was very quickly en route to a dozen different homes, in bloody 5-10 lb chunks wrapped in newspaper.

Back