Marine Saftey Course - Topic by 2muchdraft

Peahead

Thread started in the Saltwater fishing Forum with same topic

2muchdraft

Canada
100 Posts
Posted - 04/03/2010 : 10:18:20
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With this recent storm and listening to the posts of others... I can't help but think I need more training on what to do if something goes wrong - really wrong out there.
I've taken the power squadron course but still don't think I have the hands on training/knowledge of what to do in rough weather or if a catastrophe happens.

Does anyone know of courses for general public that would help with this sort of thing? I'm talking - pulling someone out of the water, what to do in the water. How to handle unexpected waves, big seas.

It's not that I ever put myself in that position intentionally but does anyone ever plan for that.

reelfast
Average Member

USA
247 Posts
Posted - 04/03/2010 : 10:28:41
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the gold standard in reading material is 'chapman - piloting and seamanship'

most of what you ask is talked about so at least the basics of 'how' are covered. that said, experience on the water takes hundreds of hours of time and at the end of the day, there is no substitute.

in the interum, please wear a PFD that is comfortable for you, mustang float coat in the cold we have right now, hydrostatic inflatable later in the season. remember, you have MINUTES, in the water temps we currently have out in the strait (few days ago it was 38F) so staying on the surface should be a priority.

getting up early enough to check conditions, via multiple sites, is an important start to your day. don't assume everything is ok out there or going to remain that way through out the day. many days, i have just crawled back into bed hoping for better weather tomorrow.

end of quotes

2muchdraft, its great that you realize your limitations and thats the first step to years of saftey on the water. Experience on the water is probably the most valuable hrs you can gain. Saying that, there are certainly courses that can teach the basic knowledge of what you want to learn. CPS does offer several courses beyond the basic boating course and include some saftey courses. One they offer is the ROC ( Restricted Operators Certificate)which is very valuable as you need to communicate legally and efficiently on a VHF radio if/when an emergency happens. The SVOP course ( Small Vessel Operators Proficiency ) is a Transport Canada certification that you can take (despite being designed for commercial operators). The other TC certification courses such as the MED A2 or MED A3 may also be of interest to you. There are a few marine course providers around that offer all sorts of courses. Here is just one place in the lower mainland: http://www.westcoastpowerboathandling.com/svop.html
MED certification can also be done through the BCIT Marine Campus( thats where I got my certification and I reccommend checking them out) if you are in Vancouver.

The Canadian power and sail squadron offers a lot more courses then just the basic one. Check with your local squadron. Helps with your insurance for your boat also. The more courses, the cheaper the ins...............BB

Took the RHIB course with the Coast Guard at Bamfield in 91. Great course, lasted four, 12 hour days..............BB

the only course im interested in is inter- course[:p]

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

the only course im interested in is inter- course[:p]

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

.....also best learned by LOTS of experience !!:D

Back