Marine emergency assistance

Dragos

Good day all

I just finalized the process of having my 23 ft Striper insured. For my wife’ s peace of mind and mine as well I would like to purchase emergency marine assistance as well ( emergency towing, fuel delivery , jump starts ... just in case any of this will be required)
Do you guys have any recommendations for a service provider?
Thank you
D

Not to hijack the thread, but I recommend you add a NOCO Battery Starter as well if you don't have one already. I used mine for the first time a couple weekends ago. Fortunately it was at the dock and not out on the hook in the middle of nowhere. Dodged a bullet.

Not to hijack the thread, but I recommend you add a NOCO Battery Starter as well if you don't have one already. I used mine for the first time a couple weekends ago. Fortunately it was at the dock and not out on the hook in the middle of nowhere. Dodged a bullet.
That’s a smart advice !
Thank you
D

curious, did you have a 2 battery setup?

I swear by"C Tow" last year my raw water pump went and thank god I was already signed up with them, I call for a tow and they told me if I could find the part I needed in Sydney the would pick it up and deliver it to me for no cost. I was able to source the part and 2 hours later I had it in my hands, great service.

I swear by"C Tow" last year my raw water pump went and thank god I was already signed up with them, I call for a tow and they told me if I could find the part I needed in Sydney the would pick it up and deliver it to me for no cost. I was able to source the part and 2 hours later I had it in my hands, great service.
I just signed with C-tow!
Too bad their app doesn’t work
But hopefully I will never going to have to call them!
Thank you
D

I have heard good things about C-tow over the years and have considered signing with them. We fish out of Sooke and the last I heard their closest boat was based out of Oak Bay, which concerned me in a worse case situation such as total loss of propulsion or hull breach in heavy weather and being pushed on to rocks, which is most of that coastline. No matter how fast their boat is in heavy seas, it would still take a while to get there, although there is a Royal Life Saving Society Boat out of Sooke which would have to crew up before it could come out and get you. I did talk with the C-tow guys at a boat show booth quite some years back about this and they indicated they were looking at putting a boat in Sooke Harbour. Anyone know what happened with that idea?

Last edited:
C-Tow I think is around $100/yr - Expensive if you never use it, cheap if you ever have to.

I thought about it, but my boat is new, so the likelihood of ever needing a tow in the next few years is low. Figure I will chance it and if I ever get stuck I can still call them and get a tow at regular price. (full price is still better than being stuck!).

When my boat ages to the point where breakdowns are more probable, I would likely consider a membership. I did put their app on my phone though, so they are just one click away with GPS data should I need them.

Edit: Where I fish in area 14, I have always had cell service, but writing this reply makes me wonder if they are reachable via VHF should there be no cell service... I will have to investigate that :)

Negative. I should have stated that. Dual batteries, ACR, full re-wire, etc is in the future plan.
I have two batteries, and installed a charger/maintainer. Boat is plugged in as soon as I get home after every trip. Perhaps a little over-kill, but great for peace of mind. My fear of getting stuck with a dead battery is at zero.

C-Tow I think is around $100/yr - Expensive if you never use it, cheap if you ever have to.

I thought about it, but my boat is new, so the likelihood of ever needing a tow in the next few years is low. Figure I will chance it and if I ever get stuck I can still call them and get a tow at regular price. (full price is still better than being stuck!).

When my boat ages to the point where breakdowns are more probable, I would likely consider a membership. I did put their app on my phone though, so they are just one click away with GPS data should I need them.

Edit: Where I fish in area 14, I have always had cell service, but writing this reply makes me wonder if they are reachable via VHF should there be no cell service... I will have to investigate that :)
I thought the same thing about my boat being newer too. Then I bought some bad gas somewhere along the way. My Raycor filter was 95% water. The main engine stalled on me about two miles from the Salmon Beach boat launch. We were heading offshore for some halibut fishing. Thank god we weren’t further away and that my kicker brought us back otherwise it would have been a different story. Not sure C-tow would help me there but it would be peace of mind. I’m going to check it out.

They charge $250 per hour for non members. $100 a year seems cheap to me.

I just joined, they gave a 10% discount
about $150.00 a year
160 and 10% discount. Not bad , only for BC waters. Too bad their app doesn’t work , so be aware you can’t count on “ call C-tow “ button on their app as they advertise on their website . You need your own means getting the coordinates and a way of calling/ contacting their dispatch.
Regards
D

They charge $250 per hour for non members. $100 a year seems cheap to me.
If you ever need them, yes, it is cheap. But if you never get in an emergency, it is expensive. Lets say you need a tow. Where I go, it would likely be no more than 4 hours, so $1,000.

Thats not cheap by any means, about equal to 10 years of payments. Yes it is a gamble for sure, but worst case (in my situation at least) is not going to break the bank.

Now if you are boating in a place that would take significantly longer than a few hours for help, the situation may be different. For me, full price is not so bad that I feel I need the membership.

160 and 10% discount. Not bad , only for BC waters. Too bad their app doesn’t work , so be aware you can’t count on “ call C-tow “ button on their app as they advertise on their website . You need your own means getting the coordinates and a way of calling/ contacting their dispatch.
Regards
D
Not sure of a cell phone that can't report on GPS coordinates. So just make sure you know how to look it up in Google Maps/Apple Maps, or some other app etc. Also, if you have a phone with the app, you need cell service for it to work in the first place, so you can always just dial direct.

Back