Marinated Alaska Black cod

Stosh

Just ordered some Seafood from www.walcanseafoods.com in Campbell River. We tried the Marinated black cod. Very easy dish to cook, comes marinated. Cooks in 8/10 minutes. Served with rice, kalletes and wilted spinach, and smokehouse seasame steak sauce. Very nice meal. I first had this a few years ago in Vegas at my favourite restaurant. They call it Butterfish. Best part is you just can’t overcook it due to the oils in the fish,

Attachments

• B56267B7-C0F9-4B14-B949-DE9390CFCF3A.png
    B56267B7-C0F9-4B14-B949-DE9390CFCF3A.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 96
  • 6DD5611C-6E02-49C1-90E0-8F2CB28EAC3E.png
    6DD5611C-6E02-49C1-90E0-8F2CB28EAC3E.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • 13F86B4A-94D7-4F6A-A679-82A117367420.png
    13F86B4A-94D7-4F6A-A679-82A117367420.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
  • EE4D4730-5846-44FA-B993-51063E4BDF2E.png
    EE4D4730-5846-44FA-B993-51063E4BDF2E.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
  • 989D5C9A-BEE2-4850-BF34-2608A6AB5560.png
    989D5C9A-BEE2-4850-BF34-2608A6AB5560.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Sablefish is the ultimate, too bad it’s so damn expensive.
my favourite marinade: soy, sake, mirin, brown sugar, water and miso. 24 hours
I bought some Black cod a few weeks back from costco. Tried the miso black cod recipe everyone raves about and to my surprise it didnt do it for me.

I bought some Black cod a few weeks back from costco. Tried the miso black cod recipe everyone raves about and to my surprise it didnt do it for me.
We did something like it as a sauce the other night. I torched them after and quite liked it.

I boil the marinade first and only a 20 minute soak

I would like to try this anybody have a the ratio of soy, sake, mirin, brown sugar, water and miso for this marinade?
This is the marinade made famous by a chef named Nobu, he has restaurants named after him. His black cod/sablefish dish is world famous. I have made this a number of times, sous vide style with an oven finish and oven only. Here are amounts and ratios for you:

Just ordered some Seafood from www.walcanseafoods.com in Campbell River. We tried the Marinated black cod. Very easy dish to cook, comes marinated. Cooks in 8/10 minutes. Served with rice, kalletes and wilted spinach, and smokehouse seasame steak sauce. Very nice meal. I first had this a few years ago in Vegas at my favourite restaurant. They call it Butterfish. Best part is you just can’t overcook it due to the oils in the fish,
Looks amazing, did you cook it in an air fryer? Looks kind of like an air fryer basket.

This has really good owith ling and hali for me... i just mirinade the fish for 30 45 minutes before i bake at 350 for 15 to 18 minutes..
:)
I used this Marinade last night for the salmon. It was a huge success. I tweaked things a little, so here is my version.

1/4 cup Miso
1/4 cup Mirin
2 Tblsp Light Soy
1 Tsp sesame oil
Thumb sized nub of Ginger
3 small cloves garlic
1 small shallot
2 Tblsp honey
2 Tblsp butter/oil

Heated over the stove for 20 minutes.
Strained and let cool.
Marinated the salmon for an hour and then baked.
Very nice.

Last edited:
I just cook mine with salt, pepper, garlic powder and lemon juice. Simple and easy, serve with lemon risotto. ...... just buy an electric reel and go catch some.

I used this Marinade last night for the salmon. It was a huge success. I tweaked things a little, so here is my version.

1/4 cup Miso
1/4 cup Mirin
2 Tblsp Light Soy
1 Tsp sesame oil
Thumb sized nub of Ginger
3 small cloves garlic
1 small shallot
2 Tblsp honey
2 Tblsp butter/oil

Heated over the stove for 20 minutes.
Strained and let cool.
Marinated the salmon for an hour and then baked.
Very nice.
Sounds Great! Going to give it a try this weekend, always on the hunt for new angles.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
How was it?
Rave reviews using this recipe. I thawed a whole black cod which was too much for my crowd(4 people) so I dropped half the marinated fillets off at a friend’s place who has been going through a tough time.. (In and out of the hospital.) Both his family and mine thought it was fantastic. I will definitely make this again.

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2014/04/miso-glazed-black-cod-nobu-for-you.html
I’m using the above recipe on black cod for dinner tonight.
I have only used the famous Nobu recipe, although there are a few slight variations when going through all the online links.
The long marinade soak was only what I have used.
I played with regular brown sugar and then demerara brown sugar. My dinner friends loved the demerara version, I thought it was noticeable, maybe a bit heaver, when black cod is so rich to begin with. I prefer the blond brown sugar. (demerara is preferred in other salmon dishes though)
If you want to try it without doing the work your self (but still cook at home) you can buy it pre-marinated in Vancouver at Fujiya, and at least one other place.

I’ve been using the Nobu black cod recipe for many years now, varying the soak times . I like 18-24hrs best. It’s also great on salmon , ling cod, chicken and pork chops!

For black cod I use the air fryer on air roast at 450 for about 8 minutes. Portion sized skin off.
Various Teriyaki or miso marinades. It's all about the Carmelization

Back