March 31 - July 15 Salmon Restrictions

How about we blockage Van harbour, blockade CNN, Van Port and BC ferries, then create mayhem and a huge mess for Canada. Worked for a minority maybe we should try? My bet is the end result would prove to all Canadians just how racist Canada IS.

HM

I recall venting my frustration on a group chat regarding the blockade of the Swartz Bay ferry terminal not too long ago as I sat on the Pat Bay Highway for an hour. Protestors were supporting the Wet’suwet'en First Nations members against the building of a natural gas pipeline.

One fellow responded to me and said, ”but it raises awareness and gets people’s attention.”

As I read that, sitting in my car, looking at a line up of cars twisting up into the distance ahead of me, I realized two rather embarrassing facts:

1. I had never heard of the Wet’suwet'en First Nations band, and

2. I thought the only pipeline debate going on in BC was oil.

While I dislike the use of protests/blockades, they do indeed get people’s attention, particularly people like me (in this instance), that was naive to the issue and people affected.

In my mind, all they do is **** off the general public and gain them even less support
Not true. All the people that don't support them after being inconvenienced never knew about them anyways. So no "less" support. Even if only 1% of the 2 million people that are now aware of this debate support them they have in fact gained support. And really who cares about actual support from the general public, they got what they needed which was the decision makers helicoptered in to listen to them, like it or not.

Our Premier is nothing more than Turdeaus puppet, lets not expect him to get behind us, support us or even speak on our behalf, on the contrary his actions speak loud and clear as to who and what minority % he wants to utilize any resource. Its NOT tax payers. Cant even imagine, our Premier should be fully engaged and voicing stats that make sense, keeping retention of fin clipped fish, every mayor from every community effected should be one loud voice, yet silence from all but a few, how long can we take no retention for the busy season before people quit? I already know those that have choose to "no longer fish". Dam shame, non of this has anything to do putting more fish on the spawning beds of the Fraser. Anyone betting on the outcome and what we gave away behind close doors from the non Canadian meetings?? Give give give = take take take. All this equals extinction for rec fishers and outdoorspeople. Thank you to all the dumbed down fools who voted for this. Sunny ways.

HM

In my mind, all they do is **** off the general public and gain them even less support

I agree Scott, if in excess. I was going to add in my original post that if done, would need to be directed and tasteful. Too much and people just ignore you.

Like with any hobby it’s impossible to get people to do anything other then complain. I think the protest in Vancouver and Victoria for the rec fishery hit the right balance of getting attention while not impeding things.

The thing about this is it’s the long game. It’s going to require people to do things and complain year after year to slowly make progress. The loudest wheel will get the grease.

The thing we suffer from is that as long as the restrictions stay in. People will move on it’s only a hobby to some people and easily replaced by doing other things. The loss of these voices will be the downfall. This is going to be a 5-10 yeah slog and most people will leave a hobby when it’s no longer fun. Peoples attention span to do anything these days is very short.

Last edited:
I’m personally sick and tired of hearing about, protests, blockades, petitions and all that sort of stuff, not from this group in particular but our society in general. It’s like Canada turned into France overnight lol. Fishing, oil, logging teachers everyone is protesting.
Maybe what should happen is the sportfishing should be handed over to First Nation groups once and for all, wipe out the DFO completely free up all the money from that department and put it into actual salmon enhancements. Pay our licence and tag fee directly to First Nations groups for a fair chance to retain salmon.

The"interim measures" are only guaranteed to be in place intil ( probably June 1) wen they will have completed all reviews and consultations. Changes ( likely not good ones) are very likely to be announced for remainder of season just prior to that date. I for one can't help feeling that if they stay status quo from last year it will be best case scenario. Sad statement I know, but I get the sense we may be looking at heavier restrictions in the form of size or even time and area closures rolling down the path of "Harrison and Fraser fish for the summer. Hope not! If the no C&R campaign wins the day then non retention will instantly mean no fin fish fishing. Again I hope I am wrong in my pessimism.

I agree.... how the hell did it ever come to a situation where we'd be somewhat relieved if the BEST case scenario was what we got last year? What the hell is going on? I guarantee while we complain and ***** about the state of affairs, no one within our rec sector is willing to put pressure on the gov... Let me clarify... no one is willing to put the type of pressure that gets attention and that will illicit action or a change in a course which they have likely already predetermined... Yes it's a lot of work and a very slow process, but when the decision is made it is made... NO GOVERNMENT official will EVER recall or change a decision after the fact even when they know it was wrong because it would make them look like an idiot, which they already are. I am surprised the guys who own the many fishing lodges and charter companies and the small towns who rely on tourism and fishing dont' make a bigger stink... while this is a hobby to some of us, this is their livihood and their communities and futures at stake...

How I see this is the same as how I saw it last year... the gov morons throw a bone out there. In this case the bone is .... we are going to review the data and consult with interest groups over the next few months before we come up with a decision... within that time frame, they sit back and wait to see and assess how much ******** they are going to have to put up with from various interest groups if they implement a decision that is not in the favor of each interest group... Then, they make a decision(not based on science, facts or data), but based on what will cause the least amount of ruckus and what will make their jobs to enforce(really no enforcement) those policies...

I struggle to write this post..... for a few reasons.. 1st reason is the news and what's to come is hard to swallow and accept.... the 2nd point is I hope no one at DFO is reading this because while I may say that it may bring some relief if this years measures are status quo with last year, even status quo is completely UNACCEPTABLE. The data and science do NOT justify the measures in place..

Last edited:
I’m personally sick and tired of hearing about, protests, blockades, petitions and all that sort of stuff, not from this group in particular but our society in general. It’s like Canada turned into France overnight lol. Fishing, oil, logging teachers everyone is protesting.
Maybe what should happen is the sportfishing should be handed over to First Nation groups once and for all, wipe out the DFO completely free up all the money from that department and put it into actual salmon enhancements. Pay our licence and tag fee directly to First Nations groups for a fair chance to retain salmon.
It is my belief that that is exactly what Trudeau and Horgan want. Do you really think FN will manage a resource??? WTH (where the hell) are they doing that now? Do you really think they will allow us any of their resource??? WTH are they doing that now??? When sporties/rec are gone the rapeing and pillaging will commence, then when its all gone it will be our fault and more $$$$$ will be demanded. Longer Trudeau stays the worse Canada becomes, just FACT. Too many dumbed downs today. Can anyone remember a time in their life that its been this bad for rec consumers?????

HM

It’s time for sport fisherman to all band together and file a law suit against DFO and the government. As a group we can send them a formal letter from a lawyer outlining the science, our rights and based on the science and information we will be fishing accordingly. 1 Marked Chinook per day in all areas they closed last year while adhering to the 10 per year quota. Effective July 1, one Chinook of any kind meeting minimum size. All other areas like WCVI stay the same as last year. If we have a couple hundred thousand people signing this and formally filing it, we could get this tied up in court for along time. They don’t have the man power or resources to try and enforce their ridiculous rules. In effect it acts as a protest without inconveniencing the regular population. Thinking out loud!

It is my belief that that is exactly what Trudeau and Horgan want. Do you really think FN will manage a resource??? WTH (where the hell) are they doing that now? Do you really think they will allow us any of their resource??? WTH are they doing that now??? When sporties/rec are gone the rapeing and pillaging will commence, then when its all gone it will be our fault and more $$$$$ will be demanded. Longer Trudeau stays the worse Canada becomes, just FACT. Too many dumbed downs today. Can anyone remember a time in their life that its been this bad for rec consumers?????

HM

I agree that’s maybe what they want but going about it in such a long round about way, pull the band aid off if that’s the intention and get on with it already. I would think the multi millions in fishing licenses and salmon tags will be appealing to whom ever controlled the resource. We certainly know common sense, scientific data , or first hand experience have nothing to do with the decision making. My main point was maybe the bands would be a little more open minded and welcoming the to sports fishing if the bands benefit economically I’d rather that then pay our government and dfo for this crazy puppet show that currently takes place. I could careless who I pay for a license but a better get a good fair opportunity

Let’s call a spade a spade.

It’s all about $$$.

Then that’s where we have to hit them. Stop the flow of cash. One way is through licenses. If every west cost fishermen didn’t buy a license this year, I wonder what would happen.... Hypothetically of course as this feat would be hard to do in reality.

Dfo would be happy because they are trying to reduce rec pressure. If you did not by a licence then they would be able to show that their reductions are working.

The reason why we are probably going to see more reductions in 2020 is because a lot of the rec effort shifted in 2019.

Dfo would be happy because they are trying to reduce rec pressure. If you did not by a licence then they would be able to show that their reductions are working.

The reason why we are probably going to see more reductions in 2020 is because a lot of the rec effort shifted in 2019.

:mad::oops::(

Back