Man Overboard Yesterday Saved

MyEscape

I was out on the water yesterday breaking in the new motors on my guide boat and was on my way back from Comox to Pacific Playgrounds when the mayday call came from the tug regent that the last time they saw one of there crew members an hour ago they thought he had gone down for a shower but was no where to be found. According to there speed and direction the man overboard could be any where from Sentry Shoals to Cape Mudge Approx 10 Miles of water with a tide dropping from 14' to 4' so it was moving. Many boats joined in the search and all I can say is this 50 year old man that fell over board with no life jacket spent well over an hour in the water but was found alive. Great ending to what could have been alot worse.

ME

Nootka Marine Adventures

WHERE THE OCEAN IS OUR PLAYGROUND

Charter Packages or Bring Your Own Boat
www.goldriverfishinglodge.com
www.moutchabay.com

Email: h00kedonfishing@hotmail.com

Great ending and plaudits to all who responded and joined in the search.
A good reminder to all to keep half an ear on Channel 16, and to contribute where and when you can.
The guy must be one tough bugger to do an hour+ with no life jacket in that cold water.

im with you kelly the wrst thing i could think of happening i have good strong railings around my boat now and have to wear a lifejacket til i get my arm and leg back working again. the poor guy had to suffer for an hour but at least he was found.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Tu...ing+overboard+while+taking/1354106/story.html

Tugboat captain survives 70 minutes in frigid Georgia Strait after falling overboard while taking a pee

By Sandra McCulloch, Canwest News Service March 4, 2009

VICTORIA — Kevin McGonigle thought he was a goner Tuesday as he treaded water in the Georgia Strait clad in nothing more than a T-shirt, a sweater and pajama bottoms.

McGonigle lasted an incredible 70 minutes in the frigid sea before he was rescued by a fish boat.

The 49-year-old captain of the tugboat Regent, owned by Humphries Tug & Barge of Campbell River, never thought he’d die doing what he loved.

But on Tuesday, he stepped outside to urinate and stumbled, falling overboard.

“I lost my balance and the next thing I knew, I was in the sea,” he said Wednesday.

The tug was on its way back to Campbell River from Vancouver, where it had delivered a log boom.

The other two crewmen didn’t realize McGonigle was gone until 25 minutes later. McGonigle was suddenly floating in 8 C water, hypothermia numbing his limbs and creeping into his core.

“It felt terrible. Watching the boat disappear was the worst.”

McGonigle has lost fellow mariners to the sea over the years and he knew his chances of survival were very slim. “I tried not to panic. I tried to tread water and passed out a couple of times.”

The tugboat crew called in a mayday at 1 p.m., said Dennis Kimoto, marine controller at the Victoria Joint Rescue Communication Centre.

Mariners in the area were alerted by radio to join in the search. A coast guard vessel was dispatched from Port Hardy and a cormorant helicopter sent out from Chilliwack.

McGonigle knew boats were out looking for him but he couldn’t raise his arms to wave because of the cold. “My arms, I couldn’t move my arms.”

McGonigle figures he didn’t have much longer to live when the 86-foot troller Pacific Faith located him after 20 minutes of searching.

He was close to unconscious but McGonigle has the image of his rescue vessel etched in his memory: “I remember looking up at the that word ‘Faith.’ I remember that vividly.”

McGonigle was once religious, he says, “but I haven’t been practising much lately.”

He was taken to hospital where he was reunited with his crew: “We just hugged. I feel sorry for them, actually. It was just a freak thing that happened.

“It’s nobody’s fault.”

He hopes mariners become more aware of their mates when there’s someone out on the deck. There’s electronic devices available that can sent out an alert if a crew member is separated from the boat, he said.

The experience gave McGonigle plenty of time to contemplate how he had lived his life. “There were things I wanted to change for sure,” he said, declining to elaborate.

Kimoto said McGonigle was in pretty good shape considering the amount of time he was in the water “If he would have fallen overboard at night it would have been a totally different story.”

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

I'm really glad to hear things worked out for this guy. I can't imagine watching your boat drive off from you. I saw his pic this morning in the T/C. I think had he have been 50 pounds lighter he might not have lasted as long as he did.

Take only what you need.

Back