Man Overboard/safety gear

ericl

Here are a couple of water activated MOB related devices:

MOB+ by Fell Marine www.fellmarine.com

The FOB the skipper wears communicates to an Engine kill switch via bluetooth when activated by water. The FOB worn by passengers sounds an alarmTest shows boat comes to a stop in 6 seconds.
Support page has install instructions for all major O/B's
Max of 4 FOB's

CrewWatcher by www.crewwatcher.com

When water activated, the FOB (up to 5 FOB's) activates an alarm on a phone/tablet app. App then directs you to the FOB. No engine kill function.

Good to have but what if the system gets old or malfunctions and you're unable to use the boat? If there is a bypass switch that would be make it a good system.

Yes there is a bypass connector if the unit malfunctions. You unscrew the main wire in the back of the unit and there is a nut you screw on the connector to bypass. I bought one this year and I am in the process of installing it.

Timely, I just installed a fell MOB this past week. Works perfectly, button and distance anyways as I didn't try falling in the water to see what would happen. I hope I never need it. I spend a lot of time fishing alone, and when you're fishing on a larger boat wearing the physical lanyard just isn't feasible.

Timely, I just installed a fell MOB this past week. Works perfectly, button and distance anyways as I didn't try falling in the water to see what would happen. I hope I never need it. I spend a lot of time fishing alone, and when you're fishing on a larger boat wearing the physical lanyard just isn't feasible.
Same experience here. very slick system, but haven't tested it by falling in and don't plan on it either!

I have a new Fell system still in package for $100 if someone wants it. Boat was sold before I installed it.

this would work on kicker? and main? interested,, i fish alot on my own. i would hate to watch my dog troll away.

this would work on kicker? and main? interested,, i fish alot on my own. i would hate to watch my dog troll away.

I rigged it up to my kicker and main. Works for both engines. I read that you can wire them in parallel and this works, but I found out after the fact you need a relay device from Fell between the two engines if they are Yamaha outboards only. It costs 30 bucks. While I wait forever for the relay to get here from UPS, I just have to leave the ignition for my kicker or main on (but not running) for the other to run.

Back