Lure Patent

saanauk

Do fishing lures get patented? Seem like similar items are made all the time and was curious. Lots of flashers are similar and multiple companies make similar anchovy heads.

If a person were to acquire stamps or dies for a lure that has long been out of production could a person just start stamping and marketing them on their own.

I know there are probably not to many patent lawyers on here and seeking legit legal advise is the best. I just wanted to get a little insight.

Thanks.

It would be easy to duplicate anything with a very slight variation
and avoid patent infringement
especially in fishing products
keep your secret !

;)

It depends how much you think the design is worth I remember reading about a guy who patented his packaging as well.

I would of thought certain color schemes and names would of been paintened but it does not appear to be so. For example Ive now seen herring aid color scheme named and sold by a lot of different manufactures or maybe they are all just owned by one big company not sure how integrated tackle industry is.

You can patent anything but 9 times out of 10 it's usually a waste of time.

I sometimes go through the process with some clients, and they are amazed of how expensive the process is. Unless it it is really initiative than it sometimes is a waste of time. If you are serious make an appointment with patent lawyer.

You often will see patent pending on some products. What that means is you have filed for a patent. It doesn't mean that the patent will be accepted, and is protected yet.

Again speak to patent lawyer.

Just a words of caution I always tell people the process can be upward of 20K and beyond to do it, so do your homework with your finances.

Ive recently talked to someone who is working at the EU Patent office and he said its usually not worth for a invention that has a value of less than a million $. Could be lower for Canada since its only one country but i still doubt that its worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Not looking to patent anything but just don’t want to get sued if I start stamping out lures from some old dies and painting them.

I have been in the industry for 20 years. Patents in fishing lures is usually a waste because you can’t patent shape, it’s usually to do with a patent of technology. For example, buzz bombs, they had patents for years on their products but I believe the patent was for the technology of the lure, it made sound or vibration in the water as the line and water passed through it’s hollow line through chamber. I don’t believe the patent had anything to do with its shape. So punching out a lure shape and calling it your own, technically is your own because you punched it out. Remember our fishing/lure industry is 100 years old give or take, Europe has been pounding out rods reels lures and everything in between for over 150 years. Much of what you see in store shelves started as a result of the German war machine from 100+ years ago. Their factories were amazing at machining metals and once they stopped making tanks guns bullets and handgrenades they started making other things less destructive like fishing tackle. Over the past 30 years many of those German and Czech and Polish factories shut down and moved to China. There’s 150,000 companies building fishing supplies in China. Not people, companies. Most major tackle manufactures around the world get a significant portion of their stuff from China now ! Not everyone, some very highend Rod and Reel Manufactures haven’t outsourced they still everything in house. But if you’re thinking of building your own lures, it’s being done by 100’s of BC anglers already. Shape is rarely proprietary, like a circle or a square, you can’t patent shapes unless that shape by itself is a technological first

Back