Lox (or Cold Smoking)

TenMile

Here is my favourite recipe for Lox aka Cold Smoked Salmon. This works equally well for Halibut:

There are six main steps in making lox:

1. Filleting the salmon, cutting into serving size pieces and scoring the skin
2. Dry salting (12 hours)
3. Brining (12 hours)
4. Freshening (1-2 hours) Critical step!!!
5. "Painting" with a rum and brown sugar mix (4-6 hours)
6. Smoking (1 hour or less)

• Fillet the salmon, but leave the skin side intact. Cut into serving size pieces.

• Score the skin side with a razor blade in parallel cuts (to allow the salt-sugar mix to be absorbed). Don;t cut the flesh — only the skin!

• Prepare a dry mix in the proportion of 3 parts coarse salt to 4 parts brown sugar. Avoid iodized salt.

• Sprinkle a layer of the salt-sugar mix on the bottom of a glass/plastic/stainless steel/porcelain tray or bin (never aluminum).

• Make a layer of the filleted pieces, cover with the salt-sugar mix, put another layer on, and so forth, until the bin/tray is filled. Put more mix on the thicker pieces, less on the thinner pieces. Sorry... can't quantify any better than this. It's just a matter of learning.... I call it "differential salting."

• Let the bin sit for 12 hours. Lots of syrupy liquid will appear (as the salt and sugar draw water from the fish). As the salt and sugar pretty much stop any decomposition, the bin need not be refrigerated, but try to keep it in a cool, shady place.

• Prepare a brine solution by mixing about 6 lbs. of coarse salt to a gallon of water. A clean 5-gallon plastic bucket is ideal. The brine is a saturated solution.... in other words, it has so much salt in it that any excess simply won't dissolve. It helps to use hot water, but make sure it is cool when the fish is added.

• Remove the pieces and with cold running water briskly rinse off any salt-sugar mix that remains.

•Add the pieces to the brine solution and let sit for 12 hours. Does not need refrigeration. Brining draws water from the fish as it salts the fist. This is what "cures" the lox, as it is not a cooked product.

•Empty the brine from the bucket and place a garden hose at the bottom of the bucket. Slowly run cold water through the hose, causing the bucket to overflow (obviously, this is an outdoor step). This will begin to desalt, or "freshen" the fish. Freshening is the most critical step of the process! After an hour, remove one of the thinner pieces, dry it off, test it for "sliceability" and taste it to make sure sufficient salt has been removed. This is strictly a matter of judgment! Thicker pieces may take two or three hours to freshen. If you over-freshen, the fish will become pale and waterlogged and those pieces will be ruined.

• As you remove the pieces, place them skin side down, on a large towel on a table.

• Prepare a syrup of brown sugar and dark rum...... say, two pounds of sugar to a fifth of rum..... pretty thick.... you may have to heat it to dissolve the sugar. Use a full-bodied, dark rum such as Myers or Coruba.

• Brush the syrup onto each piece. Set a fan at the end of the table where the fish is laid out. As the syrup is absorbed, brush on a new layer. Do this for 5-6 hours until a pellicle (or "skin") of syrup forms on the surface of the fish.

• Then, put the pieces in a smoker, and lightly smoke for about 30-60 minutes.... with hickory, alder, cherry, apple.... anything but mesquite. Do not let the temperature of the product rise above 90°, or those pieces will be ruined!

• Remove the pieces from the smoker, pack and freeze.

• OPTIONAL STEP: Before packing, you may wish to remove the pin bones from each piece with a needle-nose pliers. The bones are easy to spot, because the flesh around them will have shrunk down. They pull out easily. Their removal makes slicing the lox a bit easier, although the pin bones are very fine and will slice through if you leave them in. For "presentation lox" I always remove the pin bones, but for our family's own consumption, I leave them in because their removal is time-consuming.

Just finished up a huge batch of fish using the technique I posted above. This one is my go-to recipe and over the last few years, I am refining it. I stole this recipe from someone else online, but it does make an excellent product.

I've found that if I give myself 4 days to complete the entire process and don't rush, that the fish turns out excellent. I've found that the two brine stages (sugar/salt, and wet brine) can be done for up to 24 hours each. Usually, I start each stage first thing in the morning on day 1 and 2 -- only takes 5-10 minutes of prep at each of these steps. 4 days sounds like a lot of time, but the actual prep work is minimal. I do each step during the work week before I head out except the smoking which I do on the last night.

I've found that it's the "freshening" stage that is the most tricky. I use a large stainless steel bowl (holds about 4 gallons of water) -- put it in the sink and let the water fill and slowly spill over the edge of the bowl with the cold water tap slowly running. I check the fish for saltiness at the first hour, completely change the water and then check again every 30 minutes -- changing the water each time. With thick pieces (from fish 20+ lbs) I've found it can take 2+ hours of freshening to get the right salty balance. Just a hint of salt but don't want it to linger.

This past week is my best-ever batch! I did up a maranade of the following:

250ml (half a carton) of cooking Molasses
2 cups of raw brown sugar
3 tablespoons (or more) of fresh cracked pepper
3 tablespoons of minced garlic (from the jar)
1/2 cup of Southern Comfort (the heel of a bottle that someone had left on the boat)

Heated on the stove until mixed (not hot) and then spooned and completely covered the cured salmon and stuck back in the fridge for 24 hours.

Used all 5 racks of my Big Chief. Smoked using 3 pans of Apple wood chips. I've modified my Big Chief by poking a hole into the top of the door and inserting a household meat thermometer. I am careful not to let the internal heat get above 90F -- when it does, I completely open the door and let it cool off. Smoked the salmon for 2 hours using this technique.

Once done, cut into appetizer sized servings, back into the fridge for several hours to firm up, and then vacuum pack and freeze.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing TenMile. Is there a certain type or size of salmon you prefer for this? I'm guessing 6-10lb sockeye is the best, but was wondering what your experiences have taught you.

I don't have any Sockeye. I do find that the larger pieces actually seem to work out better than the smaller ones -- thick fillets from 20lb+ fish stay very moist and cut easier. Pieces from smaller fish work too but can get a bit drier.

I also find that fish that has been previously frozen, and thawed also works very well. I tend to smoke and/or can the fish left over from last season. The batch I just did was all fish caught last summer/fall that didn't get cleaned out. I understand that freezing the fish breaks down the cellular structure and makes the meat more firm.

Back