Lowrance HDS7 problems

Sea Chaser

Crew Member
Hey guys any electronics experts in the crowd? Have a Lowrance HDS7 finder hooked up to sonic hub. Unit keeps randomly rebooting while out trolling but music continues to play from sonic hub. Seems like it only does it after a few hours of run time but is getting more frequent and could really screw up my fishing mojo. Maybe I can blame it for not catching many fish this weekend?
none the less any advice would be much appreciated . 5F3CCBA2-3555-4E7A-A9B5-EC515489C714.jpeg

Does it do the same thing when its not connected to the sonic hub? could be a power issues (low voltage) i had something similar happen to me. It could be your power draw after a few hours is effecting your battery strength and if you have the downriggers on the same battery and you use them it might put the voltage to low for the sonar.

Does it do the same thing when its not connected to the sonic hub? could be a power issues (low voltage) i had something similar happen to me. It could be your power draw after a few hours is effecting your battery strength and if you have the downriggers on the same battery and you use them it might put the voltage to low for the sonar.
Yah I disconnected the sonic hub yesterday after it did that a few times . Ran good for a bit then starting acting up again . Maybe I need to install a rectifier on my kicker . Took one off that was causing issues . Maybe I’ll just try and connect to its own battery next time I’m out to see what happens . Wonder what voltage is too low ?voltage

Yah I disconnected the sonic hub yesterday after it did that a few times . Ran good for a bit then starting acting up again . Maybe I need to install a rectifier on my kicker . Took one off that was causing issues . Maybe I’ll just try and connect to its own battery next time I’m out to see what happens . Wonder what voltage is too low ?voltage
From what i remember it wasnt very low when it started causing issues and i had no problem starting the boat. It would happen on the use of my trim tabs. I ended up redoing my wiring (bigger cables) and splitting things up the proper way between started and house battery plus i got the cable to use the rectifier on the kicker and that issue was fixed. Manuel says 10.8 v min at the unit.

Your unit might also be over heating and powering down but id try to eliminate the battery as the problem first.

From what i remember it wasnt very low when it started causing issues and i had no problem starting the boat. It would happen on the use of my trim tabs. I ended up redoing my wiring (bigger cables) and splitting things up the proper way between started and house battery plus i got the cable to use the rectifier on the kicker and that issue was fixed. Manuel says 10.8 v min at the unit.

Your unit might also be over heating and powering down but id try to eliminate the battery as the problem first.
New batteries this year and re wired boat for the most part. Don’t think it would be a power issue but you never know. Just recently started happening . My Lowrance unit shows 12.1-12.5 volts when operating . Wonder if it is overheating. Wonder if it’s just starting to crap out . Damn electronics

New batteries this year and re wired boat for the most part. Don’t think it would be a power issue but you never know. Just recently started happening . My Lowrance unit shows 12.1-12.5 volts when operating . Wonder if it is overheating. Wonder if it’s just starting to crap out . Damn electronics
You’re not charging if it’s 12v while running. It should still operate the sounder though. Probably got a loose connection somewhere

You’re not charging if it’s 12v while running. It should still operate the sounder though. Probably got a loose connection somewhere
I have ACR relay but it will only charge when main is running. I pulled out the rectifier on my kicker as was causing issues. One would think 12 volts should keep the sounder operational .

Is it freezing up before it reboots? How many trails do you have stored? If you have a lot try deleting a bunch of the trails and see if it keeps doing it.

Is it freezing up before it reboots? How many trails do you have stored? If you have a lot try deleting a bunch of the trails and see if it keeps doing it.
Just reboots . Only a few trails on there . Gonna do a hard reboot and try it out . Should delete all stored info

Back