Lowrance HDS-5X

F

fah cups

Hey there! Anybody own a Lowrance HDS-5x Fishfinder W/83/200 KHZ Transducer.Iam thinking of upgrading from the old Humminbird, to the above. So my question is, what is your opion of the Lowrance any good? Thankyou for the replys in advance. Cheers FC

I'm a big fan of Lowrance. I have a Lowrance HDS-8 unit. The broadband sounder has amazing detail. I'm sure you'll be happy with the new HDS-5 unit.

Hey thanks for the info guys. Post should have read 50/200 KHZ transducer as the 83/200 is designed for freash water. I called West marine in victoria yesterday got a quote of 739.00 cdn prior to taxes. Called Island outfitters they wanted 50.00 bucks more but would match west marine price. The price quoted was for the HDS-5x sounder only. Cheers FC

i've got the hds 10 and the sounder is crazy good you can see your flashers spining. If you have seen the pics of the killer whale on these sounders at there displays it's a pic i took off my screen.worth every cent imo.

Hey there Bananas. What is your sounder like for bottom detail. Ie when looking for haly,s. Cheers Fc

Hey there Bananas. What is your sounder like for bottom detail. Ie when looking for haly,s. Cheers Fc

Anyone buying any new Lowrance should ask..what would be the expected service life of the unit before they buy. My first LCX-16 lasted 3 months past warranty, the display crapped out. It was replaced..Lowrance wanted $500.00 but it was replaced free. The replacement unit went 4 1/2 years and is now acting up and I've been told by Lowrance it needs to be replaced as it will crap out anytime. The dealer that sold me the unit told me that 4 to 5 years life is about right!!!! How many would they sell if they gave you that info on the front end of the sale?

Anyone buying any new Lowrance should ask..what would be the expected service life of the unit before they buy. My first LCX-16 lasted 3 months past warranty, the display crapped out. It was replaced..Lowrance wanted $500.00 but it was replaced free. The replacement unit went 4 1/2 years and is now acting up and I've been told by Lowrance it needs to be replaced as it will crap out anytime. The dealer that sold me the unit told me that 4 to 5 years life is about right!!!! How many would they sell if they gave you that info on the front end of the sale?

Good point profisher! Seems that would apply to any and all eltronics. Cheersb FC

I am NOT a fan of Lowrance.... Too many connecter problems.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I now have a Furuno-585 1 kilowatt stand alone sounder and now use the Lowrance sounder/gps/plotter as my spare. Beware having a unit with all your eggs in one basket..if it fails.... you loose sounder, gps and plotter..you have nothing! Won't go that route again. I managed to get another season out of my LCx 16 by only firing it up on the few foggy days for the plotter. You can turn the sounder onto simulator mode so it doesn't send a pulse to the transducer and mess up the Furuno.

Back