Lower Mainland Dealership Rates.

fishin_magician

Hmmmm... Recent ran into an engine service issue I had to have addressed and ended up heading to three local Factory Authorized Service dealers here in the Lower Mainland to shop for a service date. Usually I fix something myself...having messed with boats and all kinds of cars etc. I couldn't handle the job myself for a couple of reasons....but decided I would compromise and put a little trust in them. Labour Rates and Service Policies were among the highest I have ever seen...$110-$128 per hour. OMFG!!!

I diagnosed the problem and reported the symptoms and complaint myself.

They charged me a half hour labour to "confirm my complaint". Ummmmmm....the symptom was so blatantly obvious that it was observable in 5 minutes!!! WTF?!? I talked to management about the issue. No resolve. I was also charged shop supplies of $55!!!! Like WTF?!? I asked exactly what shop supplies were...and the best I got was a couple of small electrical connectors and some sealant. LIKE WTF?!? Policy I was told.

Anyways, I went to another Dealer with another engine, same manufacturer..different issue...again...a little more expertise and diagnostics involved.....same treatment despite the fact it took 10 mins for them to diagnose! In addition, I got a surprise call about a fault which neither myself nor another individual could see or observe......huh...interesting. Got the engine back. Looked for the fault with another experienced pal..could not see or observe a fault. What gives?!?

Anyone else have a few gripes about "experiences" with factory authorized service dealers or otherwise?

Shop supplies can be anything paper towel / cleaners / ect. all the little thing that make a shop professional .shops don't run on air . But it still hurts when you pay the bill but come on it's for your boat

The shop supplies is a rip......it's a percentage of your total bill, IRRELEVANT if any supplies were used at all.

Definition of boat = hole in the water to pour money into. Be thankful you don't have to order parts that are only available in the USA. You get to pay for time on phone to order them!!

The shop supplies is a rip......it's a percentage of your total bill, IRRELEVANT if any supplies were used at all.

Heat and hydro is a killer for most businesses. Water bills if it applies. Upkeep to the building. A lot goes into a job other than paper towels and such. Agreed some are a bit high but its a neccessary charge if you make the decision to take it to a dealership In my opinion.

Just had my boat at the shop today here in penticton the rates are $95 at a yamaha dealer. I try to do all the work myself and use a dealer as little as possible

Last edited by a moderator:
Back