Lost kayak and gear in Howe Sound, swam for 4 hours!

Slayr

I bumped into a fellow on the shore of porteau cove. He was doing fine but he's one lucky kayaker!

30 knot Northernly outflow winds swamped his yak between defense islands and five coves. He swam across the current waves and wind 5 km for 4 1/2 hours this morning.

He's from out of town, Israel in fact. The missing kayak has been reported to the Coast Guard. He didn't appear to be hypothermic, the Rangers gave him some dry clothes and a warm drink.

I told him I would post an add about his missing gear in hope's of at least some of it will find it's way back.

Blue rental kayak, Beaver brand, tent strapped to it. Plastic hollow style.

Gregory bag w/sleeping bag and clothing. Red grey back pack.

Possibly black trash bag with ID and wallet in it.

The gear is important as well as the ID/passport.

My guess would be it's floating around bowen by now....

Thanks!

Pretty sure we saw this guy last night (still in his kayak) at dusk as we were headed back to the ramp at Squamish, he was paddling south just north of porteau. No lights, nothing to make him visible in the middle of the sound in the almost dark. Sucks he had a swim but he was not exactly prudent.

Pretty sure we saw this guy last night (still in his kayak) at dusk as we were headed back to the ramp at Squamish, he was paddling south just north of porteau. No lights, nothing to make him visible in the middle of the sound in the almost dark. Sucks he had a swim but he was not exactly prudent.

Sounds like it. He stayed on Defense last night and was heading back to Squamish, not the typical southern inflows he was expecting. Luckily for him it's so warm out!

lucky guy! we had a similar incident in Victoria . These kayak rental companies need to get real about the abilities and liability of renting to people who may be unfamiliar with our weather and topography. perhaps a few bills for SAR might help them understand their responsibilities.
Slayr if you have the kayakers contact info , and he is being 'charged' for the lost kayak , please PM me .

thanks beemer

Holy cow the yak came back the very next day!

Not sure if it was the Coast Guard or just some crazy luck.

Will update when I hear more details.

Back