Lost Anchor System

poet1971

Hey Everyone,

Well Sunday was a little rough. The short story is that I had to come off my anchor system, and had no motor to get back to it to recover. A buddy of mine went to look for it on Monday but couldn't find it. Either the scotchman was under, or someone picked it up already. I'm hoping someone out there picked it up and can return it to me. It's a new system with an orange, unmarked (I know, rookie mistake) scotchman. New yellow and red lines, an EZ lift, small orange trailer bag, and a Danforth style anchor. I dropped it on the north west side of Race Rocks. I would obviously love to get it back And it would mean even more to me financially as now I have to buy a new main motor. I would gladly offer a reward for the return of my anchor system.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

And special thanks to "The Ariana" (sorry if I spelled it wrong) for the tow in on Sunday

Poet1971

Hi Guys,

Well, my anchor system wasn't at Island Outfitters. so it is still AWOL. So I'm still looking for some help. If anyone is out fishing that area and sees it, please grab it and drop me a line. Thanks in advance for any help you can be.

Did your buddy check at slack tide? If the current was ripping when he went by chances are your ball was under depending where at race you set up. Go look again at slack tide. Hopefully you have the specific GPS location of where you left it?

Good luck I haven't had to leave my setup yet that would suck for sure.

As mentioned above....definitely go back at slack. A buddy and I were anchored out near constance and when the current picked up, we just decided to do some drift fishing so we unclipped and were just going to drift along and then come back and pick up the gear. Well, we were convinced that someone had stolen it as we circled the area(GPS marker) and could see no sign. He got the tip from the forum to go back at slack and sure enough, there it was.

I'm not sure if he checked on slack or not. And at this point I have no motor on my boat. So the only thing I can do is wait until my new motor is installed, check the GPS and hope its still there. Or rely on the kindness of my fellow fishermen and women. But until I get to the spot myself, I will remain optimistic.

I also know the pain of a lost anchor. I lost mine last year on the 1st drop of the season in a classic case of inexperience and failure to f'n pay attention. We anchored too deep and didn't have enough slack to pull off bottom. It was almost straight up and down, so when it grabbed, we couldnt get an angle to pull off. Came back later, but it was gone. I guess thats the law of the sea. Bill at wise buys took pity on me and hooked me up with a super deal. But it was still a bunch of $ to replace. I feel your pain!

There's usually a few on used Vic. Maybe yours is on there?

Ya, the guys at Wise Buys are awesome. I have been sharing my dilemmas with Bill and Collin. I'm certain if I can't get it back they will set me up with a great deal. They ARE the best in town!

this kinda reminds me of my first day crabbing this year, was having trouble with my fuel line sucking air, stopped to fix it while a tugboat was hooking to a logboom, took about 15 mins to get my boat fixed and by that time the tug boat had pulled his logboom over-top of my brand new crab set-up, to add insult to injury on the way back in the bungy holding my remaining trap on the roof broke, launching my last trap off the rooof at 30 mph...150 in crabtraps in two hours.....had my name boatnumber n phone number on the brandnew floats.... ARG...im never buying a crabtrap again!

Poet. I am going to be going past there at Slack on Thursday, I would be happy to take a look for you if you like. Were you on the Green Buoy side (South east) of race or 27 Fathom side( Northish) ?
Are there any other distinguishing marks on the Scotchman as you mentioned it was unsigned?

That would be great ChoveyRoller. My boat is still down and I'm out of town for the week. It was on the Northish side. If you have a GPS, the coordinates are N48 degrees 18,96, By W123 degrees 31.43. There were no distinquishing marks on the Scotchman, but there was a smaller Scotchman trailer bag, and yell with red slashes rope. Thanks again. Let me knwo how it goes. And if you dont find it, good luck with the fishing a least.

ChoveyRoller...

I hope you do find the missing anchor setup but equally importantly you have demonstrated a class act...kindness such as you have shown keeps my hope in humanity alive ... thanks for making my day!

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't agree more! And it serves a reminder to do for others when you are needed!

Ends up the anchor found the other day by the guys at Island Outfitters was mine. A big Thanks to the guys there for returning it!
Thought it was lost for good.
Good Karma goes around.
Cheers Sean

Ends up the anchor found the other day by the guys at Island Outfitters was mine. A big Thanks to the guys there for returning it!
Thought it was lost for good.
Good Karma goes around.
Cheers Sean

That's great news broncosean! Alas, mine is still in the realm of the missing. On the bright side, my brand new 90hp Yamaha is being installed as we speak. I'm looking forward to getting back on the water!

Back