Loosing the Kicker motor...

I think most people would agree this is taking things too far. It is far better for your engine to cool down at idle rather than cut the motor every time you are off plane.

I usually let the main run a short time when we come down off plane when we start up the kicker. I am not so much worried about cool down but burning off the excess higher amount of two stroke oil injected at the higher RPM under the theory that it may help keep the big two stroke a little cleaner internally. I never run the motor hard at extreme RPM and keep it well serviced and it never runs outside of normal operating temp unless there is kelp over the intake etc. Have to say I have being doing this for a lot of years, but have not seen a lot of people running their main outboards at idle for lengthy cool down periods,when they switch over to the kicker for fishing or before getting someone in over the transom by stepping on the cavitation plate when water skiing with all the frequent stops from high RPM. My motor has a computerized smart craft motor monitoring system and I have never seen the motor throw a significant temp. spike after it is tuned off but with the display and temp sensors still operating. We spend a lot of time on the kicker running around the bay checking and re-baiting our traps and doing it on the kicker works just fine for us and it helps keep the hours down on the $25000. main motor.

Last edited:
I usually let the main run a short time when we come down off plane when we start up the kicker. I am not so much worried about cool down but burning off the excess higher amount of two stroke oil injected at the higher RPM under the theory that it may help keep the big two stroke a little cleaner internally. I never run the motor hard at extreme RPM and keep it well serviced and it never runs outside of normal operating temp unless there is kelp over the intake etc. Have to say I have being doing this for a lot of years, but have not seen a lot of people running their main outboards at idle for lengthy cool down periods,when they switch over to the kicker for fishing or before getting someone in over the transom by stepping on the cavitation plate when water skiing with all the frequent stops from high RPM. My motor has a computerized smart craft motor monitoring system and I have never seen the motor throw a significant temp. spike after it is tuned off but with the display and temp sensors still operating. We spend a lot of time on the kicker running around the bay checking and re-baiting our traps and doing it on the kicker works just fine for us and it helps keep the hours down on the $25000. main motor.

You should have just said your motor main was an Evinrude and I would have totally understood your worries about it blowing up.

You should have just said your motor main was an Evinrude and I would have totally understood your worries about it blowing up.

Nope it is an Opti pushing 900 hours and been very reliable. It sounds like you have had some bad experiences with the Evinrudes. How many have you owned?

Last edited:
Your right, someone goofed with the rigging! It's even in one shot with a pan, so not from editing

It's all digital you can switch them all around what you want to control. Left to right or 1 for both engines etc.

It's all digital you can switch them all around what you want to control. Left to right or 1 for both engines etc.

Yes, but are you suggesting they want them connected backwards? Electronic or manual, still backwards.

Yes, but are you suggesting they want them connected backwards? Electronic or manual, still backwards.
I'm pretty sure sure he is in single lever mode so if the port engine is off the port throttle will control just the stbd side. If they were both down and in use it would run both engines synced with 1 lever as he is there

The boat shop is close to finishing a twin O/B install on my boat. The owner has similar boat/engines & I made sure I could troll on on of the twin's before proceeding. I had a single engine/kicker on my 24ft Sea Ray.It was used exclusively offshore WCVI. Kicker was useless 90% of the time due to wind/sea conditions. I think I would need 30 years of fishing to wear-out the mains. I am 69 y/o. I have twin ETEC 300's a single gets 10 MPG at low RPM.

Kicker was useless 90% of the time due to wind/sea conditions. I think I would need 30 years of fishing to wear-out the mains.

This is the point some of us were making, thanks. Total agreement with you. I had a similar conversation on a US based forum, and let's just say you won't bee seeing many of them trolling on the main anytime soon.!

I noticed watching the last episode that Tim was running on one of the twins... as long as it is not at or near dead idle I don't see a problem.
If at or near idle I would worry about carbing issues...

Back