Looking for a Kicker

Red Monster

I need a kicker for my new (to me) 20 foot boat. I'm thinking a 9.9 HT Yamaha 4 stroke might be the way to go. I would like new or newer. I'm sending out vibes to make one appear asap. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a new 8ht a couple of years ago and it is more motor then I need. I priced them out all over the place and found that paying cash as always got me the best price. Interesting thing was Parker Marine of all places was the best cash price. Not my local Parker Marine in Courtenay it was bought thru the Nanaimo store for $800 cheaper.

Fishass, what size boat are you pushing with your 8HT? I've not had an HT but it's the way to go.
I'm quite surprised by all the options when it comes to a kicker: steering, power tilt, remote, tiller, controls, you name it. And new everything is some serious coin!

I've heard some mention about buying U.S. but not sure if it works out, especially if the warranty is no good in Canada?

LOA almost 18 feet. I wish I could have a lower speed at a bit higher RPM. I always need new plugs and the motor is only two years old. The slowest I can go at iddle is about 1.5 and at fully just shy of 6. Some times I stall the motor out just tring to go slower. And yes I have had it looked at and the idle adjustment done by Yamaha Tech.

You should not need more then a T8ht. If thats what you want.

So are you selling FA?

I hadn't considered that too much kicker could be a problem. I thought a new fangled 4 stroke could idle all day without any issues, especially a little kicker?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my 2 cents on the kicker queston, Red. I bought a 9.9 HT Yamaha last year from Port Boathouse in Port Alberni. I got the extra long shaft remote control model. So it has the shift and throttle control box next to my steering wheel so I can control all that from the helm as well as steer. I've got the ez steer system set up. It has electric start as well.

My motor didn't come with the power trim/tilt. I have to manually raise and lower it each time. BIG mistake. I would highly reccomend/suggest you get this option!

I am not selling. But if I was to go out today and buy a new one for my boat it would be a 6. I am thinking about trying a small prop and giving it more fuel. Just don't rule out a 8HT if one comes available to you.

The yamaha 8 and 9.9 appear to be the same motor. The specs suggest the only difference is 2 pounds and more charging output on the 9.9. The difference in price is about $200 new from what I can tell. So yes, I think a 8 or 9.9 would be fine. On a new one I'd be inclined to go 9.9.

Daddy, I was thinking of a setup exactly as you describe with the power tilt and EZ Steer. On my previous boat I used a steering bar so I guess I'm accustomed to that way of doing things. But some folks don't like steering bars between main motor and kicker. I guess I could always upgrade from an EZ Steer setup if I found I didn't like it. I also tend to think that an EZ Steer would be less likely to require expensive repairs.

Dad, does your motor have a tiller? I'm guessing not, but this is all new to me.

Thanks

Call sg power they have lots of camp returns there that look excellent,and you won't be paying new prices. They still have warrenty on them as well.

Got a # Bananas?
I am looking as well. Might as well pick one up when I'm out there.

Red, I'm looking at my bill of sale from Port. My model is a T9.9 EXRH-1 The E I'm not sure what it stands for. The X stands for extra long shaft. I wanted the extra long shaft because I figured you might as well raise the motor, (powerhead) as high out of the water as possible to avoid swamping. The R stands for remote. Remote means there is a control box for shift and throttle and electric start(with electric choke). You need to purchase teleflex cables of the appropiate length for your boat with this model. The H I'm not sure what it stands for.
In answer to your question about a tiller, no I don't have a tiller. With the Remote model you control the shift and throttle with the control box. So this model doesn't have a tiller handle. Personally I'm not a fan of the tiller handle model. Why would you want to hang out the back all day to drive and be in the way of someone playing a fish? Just my thoughts on the tiller style.
Your right, it can be confusing with all the different models. But again, seriously look into the "P" model. This is the power trim/tilt model. I didn't look into it and I wish I had it now.

Just got a 8 HP with forward controls and power tilt. I also added a Panther steering system, all from SG Power Products all to push a 23 ft hourston. Haven't tried it yet but was told that it would be fine and if there was problems to bring it back and they would put a 9.9 HP but that I probably wouldn't notice the differance.

Casper, I would sure be interested to know what that set you back if you could send me a PM please. I'd go with the extra long shaft, remote setup with power tilt and start and controls in the boat. Not sure about the steering, but your setup could be exactly what I'm looking at, and my boat is only 20' to your 23'. Did you have S.G. install for you too?

Thanks for the info/link guy's.
Just checking out their web page they have a Suzuki DF9.9TLK8 for $2500.00, anyone have any input on the Suzuki Kickers?

Back