Local SFAC's need your input on Halibut

searun

January 21 is deadline for local SFAC's to provide input and recommendations on Halibut Options.

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0021-RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon) - Halibut - 2014 Recreational Fishery Update - January 10, 2014

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) is participating in meetings of
the International Pacific Halibut Commission (IPHC) January 13th to 17th, 2014
in Seattle to establish halibut allocations for 2014.

Once Canada’s allocation is determined, DFO will consult with the Sport Fishing
Advisory Board (SFAB) January 21st to 26th, 2014 to develop a recreational
halibut fishing plan for the coming season. Management measures will be
designed to provide the longest possible fishing season for recreational
harvesters.

The opening date of the 2014 halibut fishery will be announced by mid to late
February.

Recreational fishing for halibut in all waters in British Columbia remains
closed until further notice.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact Devona Adams 604-666-3271 or Neil Davis 604-666-9033

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0021
Sent January 10, 2014 at 16:30
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

If you have any questions or would like to unsubscribe, please contact us via e-mail to: OpsCentre@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

The opening date of the 2014 halibut fishery will be announced by mid to late
February.

Recreational fishing for halibut in all waters in British Columbia remains
closed until further notice.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact Devona Adams 604-666-3271 or Neil Davis 604-666-9033

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0021
Sent January 10, 2014 at 16:30
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

If you have any questions or would like to unsubscribe, please contact us via e-mail to: OpsCentre@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Well I guess this means they won't open Feb 1.

There is no reason why the season couldn't open on Feb 1. The early season catch under the old rules was very small and would be even smaller with the annual limit in place. Those who already have their 6 halibut can't take anymore until April 1st when the new licenses begin.

Once you have a regulation in place hard to get it back. Hence why size limit such poor idea. Have 250k leftover no reason for no feb fishery.

Nope, we were told that DFO has signed off on there being adjustments on a yearly basis during this experimental time. They signed off on our plan for 2013 and if what we suggest for 2014 meets their requirements they will do so again. They may be saying that Feb 1 is too soon to sign have a plan for 2014 signed off. All I'm saying is with the low catch historically under the old wide open rules and the even further reduced numbers that would be caught because a good number of folks can't legally keep a halibut until April 1st there is no reason in my mind why Feb 1 st can't happen. We are talking about less than 5000 pounds of halibut coastwise. You can't even manage a fishery down to that small a number.

Done. Any way to list contacts for people's SFAC's to make it easier for them Pat?
Sorry I can't post names and contact info for the Chairs of local SFAC's if that is what you are looking for. I would need each of their permissions to do so. Anyone from Area 23 I'm happy to help directly. I spoke to our Chair and he does not want his contact info posted on line but is happy to have me forward along queries and input directly.

When people attend their local meetings they are added to the group email list for that SFAC so that is the best way to my understanding for folks to get involved and have input. I suppose another way is to write directly to DFO and provide input.

As for Feb 1 we will be restricted to regulations choices made last year for the 2013/14 season which ends March 31. Therefore, same start of the season applies. If we want that changed it needs to be done for the upcoming season which starts April 1 with the new licenses. I personally support a Feb 1 start and would like that change for next season.

Im speculating we are facing reduced TAC this year based on the early IPHC assessment. They plan to use the average of 3 models which gets us 745,000 pounds, down considerably from 1,080,000 last year. That is their starting position. We can obviously make counter arguments, but think we can expect some reduction. My hope is only 10 to 15 percent.

So we will be left making a choice based on what options best fit the final TAC announcement and meet the needs of what most people identify as their key priorities.

There goes that 250,000 lbs then i assume?

I would think you are correct. The sport sector has never been allowed a carry over in the past. The commercial side gets I believe 10 percent that they can carry over. So even if at some point we found our sector with the same ability it would translate to 25k at best anyway. As of now we do not have that choice

Agreed. The underage is likely not going to carry over. Might play into the negotiations over TAC next week. Running the numbers a 10 percent reduction looks like only a few choices in the Halibut Options will work. Those would be 1/1; 2/1 with both fish at 112 cm and last years regs which is a 32k overage. Don't forget there is a fudge factor in there of 10 percent for bio factors.

There is no room in this to start reducing the size further. The 1/2 at 112/112 is way too much to give to try to get a longer season. We are talking about a 40 pound max size across the board. The 1/2 with second fish under 83 for shoulder and 1/1 any size for July Aug is only (12 k) more than the current regs. Sooner see what (44k) dose to the season than give up another 20 lbs on the max size so we can stay open in the winter.

Thanks Searun
I share your view on a lower TAC this year
It could be as you suggest between 970K or perhaps 880K
I have also heard it could be 850K
None of these numbers are good.
Not sure if we have ever been below 1 million TAC.

If anyone in Area 14 would like to contact me I would be happy to hear their views.
I can be reached through this website by PM or email.
You just have to click the "GLG" to your left and pick email or PM

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no room in this to start reducing the size further. The 1/2 at 112/112 is way too much to give to try to get a longer season. We are talking about a 40 pound max size across the board. The 1/2 with second fish under 83 for shoulder and 1/1 any size for July Aug is only (12 k) more than the current regs. Sooner see what (44k) dose to the season than give up another 20 lbs on the max size so we can stay open in the winter.

Couldn't have said it better myself

Sorry I can't post names and contact info for the Chairs of local SFAC's if that is what you are looking for. I would need each of their permissions to do so. Anyone from Area 23 I'm happy to help directly. I spoke to our Chair and he does not want his contact info posted on line but is happy to have me forward along queries and input directly.

When people attend their local meetings they are added to the group email list for that SFAC so that is the best way to my understanding for folks to get involved and have input. I suppose another way is to write directly to DFO and provide input.

As for Feb 1 we will be restricted to regulations choices made last year for the 2013/14 season which ends March 31. Therefore, same start of the season applies. If we want that changed it needs to be done for the upcoming season which starts April 1 with the new licenses. I personally support a Feb 1 start and would like that change for next season.

Im speculating we are facing reduced TAC this year based on the early IPHC assessment. They plan to use the average of 3 models which gets us 745,000 pounds, down considerably from 1,080,000 last year. That is their starting position. We can obviously make counter arguments, but think we can expect some reduction. My hope is only 10 to 15 percent.

So we will be left making a choice based on what options best fit the final TAC announcement and meet the needs of what most people identify as their key priorities.

Fair enough. Seems like choice of those two options is what it will come down to. I'm fairly positive when I say 40lbs would not be ok with many many people

Thanks for the reply and insight

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read that the 2013 experimental fishery catch (not quota leased) was 10x what it was in 2012 (1,200lbs approx)...can anyone else confirm this?

I just read that the 2013 experimental fishery catch (not quota leased) was 10x what it was in 2012 (1,200lbs approx)...can anyone else confirm this?
Can't find the report on that at moment but recall it was very low. Most was turned back in un used as soon as guys realized there would be a full season. GLG might be able to lay his hands on that quicker than I. Have to look at what was actually used not what was sold due to lots of un used TAC.

My data may be out of date but this is what I have
As of Sept 16, 2013 - 116 fish taken for 4985 lbs and 101 licenses issued.

January 21 is deadline for local SFAC's to provide input and recommendations on Halibut Options.
Once Canada’s allocation is determined, DFO will consult with the Sport Fishing
Advisory Board (SFAB) January 21st to 26th, 2014 to develop a recreational
halibut fishing plan for the coming season.

Done. Any way to list contacts for people's SFAC's to make it easier for them Pat?

My local SFAC doesn't seem to want any input. I can't find out if or when there is or was or will be a meeting. I was given a contact Email, so sent an Email, and the reply was:
"I have forwarded your request to Brian Matts at DFO for further information."
-->no further information arrived.

I have see many posts (& threads) asking for us recreational anglers to provide input to the SFAC/Bs.

I believe that no one really wants any input. Its almost impossible to find out any information at all. Other than now knowing whom the chair for my SFAC is, I have received no other information, and no direction on where I may find it.

It's almost like a secret society.

Very disappointing.

My local SFAC doesn't seem to want any input. I can't find out if or when there is or was or will be a meeting. I was given a contact Email, so sent an Email, and the reply was:
"I have forwarded your request to Brian Matts at DFO for further information."
-->no further information arrived.

I have see many posts (& threads) asking for us recreational anglers to provide input to the SFAC/Bs.

I believe that no one really wants any input. Its almost impossible to find out any information at all. Other than now knowing whom the chair for my SFAC is, I have received no other information, and no direction on where I may find it.

It's almost like a secret society.

Very disappointing.

I understand you disappointment. I have asked for guidance on posting and email info to anglers. I hope to get some soon. Until then I have sent you a PM with some info that I can share.
GLG

Back