Little Chief Smoker Not Hot Enough...... :( Help!

If your little chief isn't getting hot enough for your liking, make sure you're not using a long extension cord or perhaps the heating element is tired. You can buy replacement elements at Capital iron in Victoria.

The box over the smoker works well too.

I too have found the little and big chief types are too cold for the fall and winter months. I had two of them side by side and had to build a wooden box around them with a canvas drop cloth across the front.
When they corroded out, I managed to get a 3 rack, homemade, of galvanized sheet metal from a millwright friend. Since then I have attached wheels, wired in a 1500 watt hot plate, made a better drip tray, split the door and put them on hinges, added 1" of wood to the inside of the doors and 3/4" plywood to the outside panels, floor, and roof. A large old thermometer (from the steam plant) near the top. It takes a long time to heat up, but my salmon usually takes 6-8 hours. smoke 3 trays of "chips and chunks" for the first 3 + hours, then remove fry pan/chips and cook for 3-4 hours until done.
When I pressure cook they recommend 90 minutes at 10 pounds pressure, which beats the heck out of 3 hours in a boiling water bath. safer too!
Small mistake taking it out of the smoker and not finishing in the oven, too late now, as you threw it out. Safe choice though!
N.B. there was a tragic incident here in north Vancouver a few years back. An unsuspecting fellow ate a bunch of smoked salmon that had been interrupted while smoking, cooled and then continued smoking again. botulism ran wild and he died. No recourse.

Back