Ling Cod/Halibut Plastic Grubs - Modification

Hi

Looking to remove the center of plastic grubs, like powerbait, so that the collar of the jig heads does not split them when threading them on. Any suggestions on how to do this besides using a drill? I know that some charter boat captains in Alaska do this technique.

Thanks in advance

I’d think a hot piece of metal inserted would make for a cleaner hole. I tried even drilling a frozen piece of rubber once and wasn’t pretty.

I hand ream from the top with a full grip on the grub "5/16 or smaller metal drill bit":)

Attachments

• 20220125_130718.jpg
    20220125_130718.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
I stick my gaff through them and then pull tubing like the photo above through when I want to run a line through them for hali fishing off spreader. That way they slide up the line and last a lot longer. Gaff might work to make a hole that the jig head will go through. Not sure how you would "core" them though if you are looking to remove material. Must be a tool out there somewhere that was designed for something else. Or you just came up with a good idea for new product.

After hand reaming with a 5/16 bit , fish a coat hanger sized wire thru attach the tube to the wire pull back thru , cleans out hole and grub grips the tubing.:)

Back