Lever Drag Reels - Avet , Accurate ect.

adanac

I have recently purchased a new boat and im looking into outfitting it with a pair of new Halibut reels for the Shimano Trevalas i already own. I do not have very much experience with lever drags as i am upgrading from Penn 320 GTs , and the only Lever Drag i own is a small avet sx for inshore jigging . Does anyone out there have any experience with Avets, Accurate or any of the high end lever drags that Shimano or Penn put out for Halibut? If so what models do you guys prefer, and how do they preform for you?

Thanks in Advance
Adanac.

hi i have 4 avets hx5/2 two speed reels that i fish sturgeon with and have never had a probplem with the reels. tons of drag. silky smooth

Those Avet's are reel nice (pun intended)!:D.

I'll be upgrading a few of my Penn's next year with some Avet's.

i have had mine for 4 years and never had a problem yet. and i catch alot of sturgeon. mike reel repair , russ reel repair

I was looking at the Avets but got a screaming deal on a couple of Penn 330LD's and they've been great, and half the price of the Avets. Been using them for both sturgeon and halibut.

You may also want to check out Shimano's TLD 20 and the Tyrnos TLD 20. I have both and the are proven, well rated, durable reels and I think they are cheaper then Avets and Accurates. Even the Jeremy Wade for the River Monster TV show uses them!

TLD: http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/conventional/tld.html
Tyrnos: http://fish.shimano.com/publish/con...index/products/reels/conventional/tyrnos.html

Great suggestions and reels Whole in the Water but.............. you can't get them in pink!

tackle_2163_446260962

It's the Pippen model from Tackle Direct:D!!! to match his shirt:cool:.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm not too much help, as like you, the only avet I own at the moment is the SX model.

I've only used it for one trip so far, but for the price it seems to be an excellent reel. The one problem with avets that I do see for jigging, is the lack of an anti-reverse on the reel. This is just a minor nuisance, not a deal breaker IMO. Higher end level winds such as accurate and JM don't have this issue, and as such are better suited for jigging. Again, just my opinion (not that it matters much!).

I have taken the sx (ss 5.3 model) out to winter harbour a few weeks ago, to try along with my new JM jigging rod. The biggest fish I caught was a 22lb halibut, but this wasn't a problem for the reel. The reel ain't no chicken winch with the higher gears, but I'm a pump and reel kind of guy, so lower gears aren't that necessary for my style of fishing.

If you want to put some decent drag on the fish, I suggest looking at the avet JX model and up, or their new raptor series. The raptor series is more expensive, but has a dual drag system rather then a single. The dual drag system has a few advantages over the regular series, but at a higher expense. If you want to have a better drag system in a lighter smaller reel, I say go for it.

If you don't mind spending a few $$$, companies such as accurate, JM, etc. make great level wind reels that are purpose built for jigging. Small, light and with powerful drags, they are pretty nice units.

I have recently purchased a new boat and im looking into outfitting it with a pair of new Halibut reels for the Shimano Trevalas i already own. I do not have very much experience with lever drags as i am upgrading from Penn 320 GTs , and the only Lever Drag i own is a small avet sx for inshore jigging . Does anyone out there have any experience with Avets, Accurate or any of the high end lever drags that Shimano or Penn put out for Halibut? If so what models do you guys prefer, and how do they preform for you?

Thanks in Advance
Adanac.

Adanac: I have a Shimano Tyrnos 20 and a Tyrnos 30 that I use for halibut, and really like both. They are 5:1 retrieve rate but with a partially filled spool they still have tons of winching power (line capacity is huge so don't need to be filled). I have two TLD20's and have used lots of Penn reels and much prefer the Tyrnos. No maintenance issues in two years.

...Rob

I picked up a pair of Tyrnos 10s on sale and matched them to a pair of ugly stik tiger lite jigging rods with 80 lb braid...
Once I get into some halis I will know a little better.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, i will let you know what i end up purchasing and how it preforms for me later this month on WCVI.

Back