Letter to Gordon Campbell(nets on rivers)

B

bite me

Hi everyone,
just recently, in socials class(grade 11), our teacher asked us to write a letter to the government, either provincial or federal, about a topic of our choice...after much thought, i chose to write about the native fisherys here on vancover island, especially campbell river. i would love to here some input u guys may have, any thoughts or ideas, changes..any advice whatsoever...

here is my letter so far(but it may change)...

Dear Mr. Campbell,
I am writing to you to express my concern about the Native Rights issues, particularly Native Fisheries. Just this past summer, here in Campbell River, one of the local Native bands strung nets across the Campbell River, netting migrating Chinook, Coho, and Pink salmon heading upriver to spawn. This past year was particularly poor for fish returns, and I can imagine that the nets only made it worse. There was much controversy about this fishery, and in the end the nets were taken down, but not before the vast majority of the salmon had already started to return upriver, with many getting caught by the nets in the process. People who sport-fish the Campbell River, me included, were outraged about the nets. Also, native people fishing with rod and reel in the Campbell River, were snagging, and retaining salmon caught this way, which is highly illegal for ANYONE to do, native or not. There was no reason whatsoever for this native fishery to take place. There were many weeks in the summer, where only native fishermen in commercial boats could fish in the waters around Campbell River for “native food fish”, whereas the commercial fishermen who fished for a living, were forced to wait until another opening was allowed after the Natives had finished fishing. This went on throughout the summer, and no one thought anything of it, until one day, 500 dead pink salmon were dumped into one of the local marinas by a Native food fishery boat. They claimed that the fish had “gone bad”, and were no good. These fishermen had taken more salmon then they needed, and when they found they couldn’t sell or give away the remaining salmon, they simply dumped them off their boat. This is a waste that we simply cannot afford to our resources.

The changes I would like to see include the following:

-all Native fishermen fishing for native food fish must follow the same rules, regulations, and quotas that commercial fishermen do, including the same seasons.
–All Native sportfishermen must follow the same rules, regulations, and quotas that ALL sportfishermen do, including the same seasons.
–Any breaking of the law in these situations should be dealt with in the same manner regardless of who they are, same fine, same punishment.
–No nets should EVER be allowed on East Coast Vancouver Island Rivers, EVER.

In following these changes, there will be less controversy when problems do occur, as there will be a clear understanding of the laws regulating these fisheries. Our resources simply cannot handle treatment like this, and if changes are not made, our salmon will disappear.

With all due respect for your intentions there you are writing to the wrong guy and government.
The Provincial government has no say in First Nations rights relative to fishing. In addition, they probably don't give a damn.
I'd address a letter to Fisheries and Oceans Canada or the Prime Minister, although it seems he has a few other things on his mind right now.

Take care.

With all due respect for your intentions there you are writing to the wrong guy and government.
The Provincial government has no say in First Nations rights relative to fishing. In addition, they probably don't give a damn.
I'd address a letter to Fisheries and Oceans Canada or the Prime Minister, although it seems he has a few other things on his mind right now.

Take care.

Take care.

Take care.

Good to see you're trying to do something towards ending it.

I'm currently going through schooling in a fisheries program to get some sort of title before my name to give me some credit to get rid of this bull****. Our government is spineless and too many people are afraid of being called racists and the natives that do these sorts of things know that.

I'm currently going through schooling in a fisheries program to get some sort of title before my name to give me some credit to get rid of this bull****. Our government is spineless and too many people are afraid of being called racists and the natives that do these sorts of things know that.

Great intentions bite me, your idea is great for a grade 11 essay. The guy's are right you have to address our great leaders in Ottawa before the issue is even close to being looked at. You may as well take the grade and move on to another industry for results.. You might get close.. Don't get me wrong, it takes someone to speak up in order to make things happen.dirty

Great intentions bite me, your idea is great for a grade 11 essay. The guy's are right you have to address our great leaders in Ottawa before the issue is even close to being looked at. You may as well take the grade and move on to another industry for results.. You might get close.. Don't get me wrong, it takes someone to speak up in order to make things happen.dirty

Actually, when it comes to the Cowichan, I believe that River Hunter has it right. As part of the local SFAB here in Duncan, I had the opportunity to meet with Cowichan Tribes fishery managers as part of the marginally successful effort to get a Coho opening on the Cowichan this past Autumn. (Hey, I guess 3 weeks is better than nothing!)DFO had more to do with the screw ups associated with that opening than Cowichan Tribes, but thats another story.

The people I met with were reasonable, well informed and well educated fish managers who agreed that they certainly had more in common with the recreational fishery than differences. Their goal was simply to provide access for their people to the fish resources of the river, and to ensure that there were fish for them to pursue in the future. Kind of like us, I found out.

Cowichan Tribes fisheries, from what I understand, does not endorse the illegal netting of Steelhead, any more than the SFAB or Steelhead Society endorses the illegal use of bait (even Roe Bags!)in bait banned streams.

The quote I most remember from the head of their fish management team went something like this: "we aren't going anywhere, and neither are you, so I guess the sooner we learn to share the river and its fish the better".

The members of Cowichan Tribes who choose to put gill nets in the river for steelehad are poachers, plain and simple. I beleive that the fishery managers from Cowichan Tribes like them abut as much as we do.

As the SFAB does not have official responsibilities to deal with Steelhead, perhaps the Drift Fishers Assoc or Steelhead Society, or both, should meet with Cowichan Tribes in a reasonable manner to try and see what can be done.

If you do get a chance to meet with them, I do know that the Cowichan Tribes people will tell you about the garbage they find along the river, the verbal abuse and disrespect their fishery guardians are shown by drift boat and bank anglers alike and will probably ask you what can be done about it.

I beleive thats the best approach. If Cowichan Tribes are the problem, and our Government Officials won't do anything about the problem, then meet with Cowichan Tribes and see what you can do.

It worked with Coho.

Bob.

Actually, when it comes to the Cowichan, I believe that River Hunter has it right. As part of the local SFAB here in Duncan, I had the opportunity to meet with Cowichan Tribes fishery managers as part of the marginally successful effort to get a Coho opening on the Cowichan this past Autumn. (Hey, I guess 3 weeks is better than nothing!)DFO had more to do with the screw ups associated with that opening than Cowichan Tribes, but thats another story.

The people I met with were reasonable, well informed and well educated fish managers who agreed that they certainly had more in common with the recreational fishery than differences. Their goal was simply to provide access for their people to the fish resources of the river, and to ensure that there were fish for them to pursue in the future. Kind of like us, I found out.

Cowichan Tribes fisheries, from what I understand, does not endorse the illegal netting of Steelhead, any more than the SFAB or Steelhead Society endorses the illegal use of bait (even Roe Bags!)in bait banned streams.

The quote I most remember from the head of their fish management team went something like this: "we aren't going anywhere, and neither are you, so I guess the sooner we learn to share the river and its fish the better".

The members of Cowichan Tribes who choose to put gill nets in the river for steelehad are poachers, plain and simple. I beleive that the fishery managers from Cowichan Tribes like them abut as much as we do.

As the SFAB does not have official responsibilities to deal with Steelhead, perhaps the Drift Fishers Assoc or Steelhead Society, or both, should meet with Cowichan Tribes in a reasonable manner to try and see what can be done.

If you do get a chance to meet with them, I do know that the Cowichan Tribes people will tell you about the garbage they find along the river, the verbal abuse and disrespect their fishery guardians are shown by drift boat and bank anglers alike and will probably ask you what can be done about it.

I beleive thats the best approach. If Cowichan Tribes are the problem, and our Government Officials won't do anything about the problem, then meet with Cowichan Tribes and see what you can do.

It worked with Coho.

Bob.

It worked with Coho.

Bob.

Back