LETTER: Conservative MPs worried about Liberal fisheries minister’s decisions on B.C.’s public fishery

cohochinook

LETTER: Conservative MPs worried about Liberal fisheries minister’s decisions on B.C.’s public fishery​

Thanks to Bob Zimmer, Ed Fast and Mel Arnold for speaking up for access for the Public Fishery to Chinook salmon.:

Here is a cut-and-paste from the article:

"B.C. hatcheries produce approximately 40 million chinook each year. When added to the 70 million fin-clipped hatchery chinook released in Washington State, this could make millions of chinook available to be safely harvested by the public without impacting our wild salmon."

IMO this is untrue. Our WA winter MSF Chinook fishery was closed 18 days into a 90 day season because too many Wild Chinook were being caught. A target for wild Chinook & undersized Chinook was set prior to the fishery & both were exceeded 18 days in.

IMO DFO was marching towards a largely unregulated MSF compared to the WA highly regulated one's & has now changed direction towards highly regulated. I may be wrong; hope I am too. Time will tell.

IMO this is untrue. Our WA winter MSF Chinook fishery was closed 18 days into a 90 day season because too many Wild Chinook were being caught. A target for wild Chinook & undersized Chinook was set prior to the fishery & both were exceeded 18 days in.

Do they count wild canadian fish in this or do the DNA sample the wild fish to estimate how many washington state wild encounters there are? Or does this fishery take place in an area and time where there is no canadian fish present?

I have heard from some washington state guides there are time where they have to release a lot of "wild" canadian fish but i'm not sure what areas or times they were fishing in.

Looking at these charts it would seem that Washington state fisheries would benefit from Mass marking in canada.

1613591990036.png
1613591927478.png

1613591897741.png

Do they count wild canadian fish in this or do the DNA sample the wild fish to estimate how many washington state wild encounters there are? Or does this fishery take place in an area and time where there is no canadian fish present?

I have heard from some washington state guides there are time where they have to release a lot of "wild" canadian fish but i'm not sure what areas or times they were fishing in.
No DNA sampling to my knowledge, just dock surveys & on-water observation with counts done weekly. They also conduct test fisheries prior to the opening to determine wild/marked ratios.
This fishery was around Seattle. IMO for a guide to say that they catch lot's of wild Canadian fish would be somewhere between wild speculation & fantasy, but it seems some fishers use their mouths more than their hands............

what ratio are they looking for to have an opening?
Ever since the DFO presentation on MSF last Fall I looked pretty hard & did not find that exact information.

This data suggests a rate go 50% or greater:
MASS MARKING AND MARK-SELECTIVE FISHERIESwww.psc.org › download › sfec12-1

Chinook data begins on page 68

The 50% rate was similar to what DFO mentioned last Fall.

MSF's here in WA are VERY complex; the season that just opened was opened with a set threshold of wild fish mortality (probably 20% of all wild fish caught/released (known as "encounters" in current government fish-speak) & the season was closed when the estimated wild Chinook catch reached around 1,000 fish (200 or so mortalities). Some fisheries are opened with a set season usually 1-3 months. The third category is where the wild stocks are so bad off there is just a closure with NO SALMON FISHING ALLOWED. We went from 20 or so MSF's in 2019 - 2020 to just 5 or so for 2020-2021, so default down here is closed. The mark rates as seen from the above data support an opening, but the wild stocks sized do not support an opening.

As for BC, who knows? Down here it all depends on the health of the wild stocks irregardless of mark rates; if BC goes the same route you COULD end-up like us and go from catch-and release to a total closure in the ties/areas the depressed Fraser stocks are.

IMO down here a lot of has to do with the influence of what are Member tribes of the 1855 treaty have over WA state "inside fisheries":

They co-manage the inside fishery as equal partners to WA state, & meetings are secret.
This is the same treaty that had the big court case in 1974 (Boldt decision). They were getting screwed before the treaty, and since the treaty have gone from fishing non-terminal areas to primarily fish terminal areas (nets in rivers). Dunno about the effect of this but they catch fewer fish now than they did before the 1974 Boldt decision. I agree with their rights but strongly disagree with their methods (nets in rivers).

Great to see some MP's taking an interest in the public fishery and questioning the Liberal govt. indifference and ongoing mismanagement by DFO of recreational fishing in BC!

We need to make this a political issue and show the politicians the harm that is being done to the public fishery and coastal economies and communities.

Trying to working with DFO for the most part is hopeless as they repeatedly fail to make many science/evidence based management decisions that benefit the public fishery.

Back