Lets see some of your tomics

We run 30 plugs a side on the troller for 5 - 6 weeks every year.
I only pull the pins on those that lose their swivel for the hook.
Most still have the ring attached to the tow bar.
Little trick when that is the case. Each ring will have a bump where the ring was welded together.
Tie your line exactly opposite of that bump so the tow bar rides on the bump itself.
This makes the plug's action erratic which in turn generates more strikes.

Cheers,
Nog
Great tip thanks I'll give it a try.. I have a few with rings some without .
On those without the ring attached . I tie several knots on the tow bar below the leader knot to change the pull angle.
I always fish my plugs with the tow bar intact first and see if they fish without touching them, change knot angle or then try pulling the pin

I recommend pulling the pin and running tandem 4/0 octopus hooks for the simple reason that factory hooks on Tomics cause excessive bleeding and tandem 4/0s don't. Pin-pulled Tomics fish really well in my experience. I think there is more action at 2.5 mph (ish) than with the toe bar, even with the false knot and the leader tied to the top of the bar.

My landing ratio is about the same with tandem 4/0s.

Last edited:
I recommend pulling the pin and running tandem 4/0 octopus hooks for the simple reason that factory hooks on Tomics cause excessive bleeding and tandem 4/0s don't. Pin-pulled Tomics fish really well in my experience. I think there is more action at 2.5 mph (ish) than with the toe bar, even with the false knot and the leader tied to the top of the bar.

My landing ratio is about the same with tandem 4/0s.
A common reply on the stock hooks, bleeding or eye damage.

Back