Let’s See Your ( Mans ) Best Friend.

Its great seeing everyone's dogs! I had a kennel for 15 years out in both Nova Scotia and Ontario - I bred and showed Labradors (english type) and used to teach dog obedience. I would have one to two litters a year and had up to 10 dogs when I was really active in the dog game. Besides breeding the Labs, I have owned and shown German Shepherds, Rottweilers and had a Bernese Mountain Dog which I waited 2 years for out of specific German bloodlines. My last litter was in 2008 and I closed the kennel at that time, placed all of my dogs in wonderful homes and moved back out to the Island. Suffice to say, been there, done it and got the t-shirt! I am now just happy to be a pet owner, my most current dog was an English Bulldog "George" had always wanted one and finally did, in this case I purposely stayed away from the heavy championship lines and chose a breeder who had nice bloodlines but also had some "leg" under her dogs - it was a good call, besides his wonderful temperament, I had absolutely no health issues with him (which was miraculous for that breed) he died Sept 2018 at the ripe old age of 12 years - I am attaching a photo of him in memory. I made it 2 months without a dog in the house and the void was palatable for me. I contacted my old dog show buddies back East and said I need a dog in here! For the first time in my life I decided to go with a smaller dog because I wanted something "boat size" - not that large dogs aren't great on boats - they are, but I knew we would be doing 5 days straight out at anchor and I wanted something that could move around comfortably on the boat and we weren't tripping over either. My friends sent me out Piper - she is a Cairn Terrier - photo attached. She came out to us as an adult and we have had her 2 years now. The first terrier I have ever owned and my god, she is a lot of dog in a small package, and she LOVES everything so far boating wise.060.JPG Nootka 2019.jpg

It’s amazing but you can just about tell the personality of each dog just by their face. I find more so than humans.

Great thread @walleyes.

Here's Bosun, our Border Terrier who will be two at the end of December. Hasn't found food he doesn't like, water he won't go in, a dog he won't play with or a toy he can't destroy. He's always comes out with us and has been a great boat dog, spent 15 nights in a row this summer on the boat without a complaint.

2E245954-C306-4E13-9CA3-36904D49A43D.jpeg
1856F0CB-3B5D-49AD-93BF-1E9AA42A8BC6.jpeg
AA7729F0-466E-4C83-9C85-F6E960B41622.jpeg

Great thread @walleyes.

Here's Bosun, our Border Terrier who will be two at the end of December. Hasn't found food he doesn't like, water he won't go in, a dog he won't play with or a toy he can't destroy. He's always comes out with us and has been a great boat dog, spent 15 nights in a row this summer on the boat without complaint.

We love terriers and they love to be where ever we are. On the boat is a favorite place for us.

This is our Golden Retriever Charlie that is now 6. We had a female Golden Maggie before him. We were fortunate to have her long enough to meet our kids before we lost her. The kids are 13 and 10 now so that was a long time ago. I still think about her a lot. Charlie has some big paws to fill but he is a typical happy friendly Golden that wants to be with us more than anything else and a great addition to the family.

Charlie111.jpg
Maggie1.jpg

Maggie2.jpg

Although I don't own this dog, I spend a TON of time with her and I really love this gal like she's my own. This is Sally, 10 year old SPCA special. We think there's some lab, border collie and who knows what else. I think they just generally call them "Shephard cross" when nobody knows.

Sal loves cheese, but what dog doesn't? I wish I loved anything as much as a dog loves cheese. The second photo, an unfortunate (fortunate?) capture of a moment in time. My extremely juvenile sense of humor always gets a snicker out of it. LOL

image0.jpegimage1.jpeg

I just put my name on a new family member. My wife has loves Bernese mountain dogs. I finally pulled the trigger on one and this will be her xmas gift. The mom is 90lbs and dad is 130lbs. Hopefully he is a big boy like his dad. I have been looking for a while, as I make sure to get from a reputable breeder who's focus is healthy genetics. This new pup has parents from Germany & Switzerland. His parents are beautiful.

Its rediculus the demand for dogs right now. Apparently Covid has caused a major surge in pepole getting dogs. Prices are rediculus. Even muts off the farm are going for minimum $400. Hopefully it doesn't lead to a flood of dogs being surrendered to shelters in the future... IMG_1441 (1).JPG

upload_2020-11-12_21-50-16.jpegupload_2020-11-12_21-50-16.jpegupload_2020-11-12_21-50-16.jpeg
this is our dog Patches, nicknamed Bearded Wonder. She is a Parsons Terrier, or a long leg Jack Russell. She is a special dog. Pretty much lives for food and to sleep in our bed under the covers. Hates being cold and the rain. Only goes into the water on her terms. She is a princess. The only time she goes into Jack Russell mode is if she sees or smells a rat/rabbit/ squirrel/ raccoon. She goes absolutely nuts. She even jumped out of our vehicles window while we were driving because of rabbits. She also killed a baby bunny in front of my daughter, That was not a good day.

But she always looks out the window for me to get home from work and is so excited to see you if you have gone out. Can’t beat that.

Here’s Juno - a 3 yr old Australian Labradoodle, looks like a standard poodle but eats like lab. I found here on Kijiji at 10 months old after my wife told me she was looking at dogs that could cost over $2000, before spaying or neutering. Picked Juno up for $500 - spayed, all shots. Turned out to be a good dog, just way too much energy and watches too much TV if animals are on. And yet, she is very good with children, seldom barks, and never goes on furniture. Rain or shine she loves the outdoors.

Attachments

• A8ED33D6-3010-4C04-B023-FD3932EC3B35.png
    A8ED33D6-3010-4C04-B023-FD3932EC3B35.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 20
  • F37BB46A-8297-4FBD-B421-3ABD3B857D5F.jpeg
    F37BB46A-8297-4FBD-B421-3ABD3B857D5F.jpeg
    575.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 5CEDB998-2287-4F35-990E-8EFF762D70EB.jpeg
    5CEDB998-2287-4F35-990E-8EFF762D70EB.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Back