LEH... Waiting is killing me!

Any of you guys hunt 5-04/A - the east side of Chilko Lk?
Neighbor says there's lots of Grizzly bears in there but that goes for most areas of BC cept downtown Vancouver.

Congrats Jack, This is the first year im not venturing out for my moose hunt to Pink Mountain. Good luck!

Take some pics

-Steve

Compounding Factors for those who missed:

Groups such as PETA and the HS have been encouraging their misguided members to qualify for BC Hunter Card Numbers and enter as many draws in BC as possible. They then hold LEH Burning Parties wherein they celebrate the "saving" of the animals whose tags they have drawn. This is real, and it IS happening. What these fools miss is that the ProvGov considers those animals both expendable and a "commodity". Tags not filled are taken into account for consideration in the following year's draws, and when considering the allocations to Outfitters and FN's...

By: Judie Steeves
Kelowna Capital News
April 7, 2009
http://www.bclocalnews.com/okanagan_.../42649132.html

B.C.’s resident hunters are losing out to non-residents in the way the provincial government is allocating Limited Entry Hunting (LEH) permits, and it’s going to get worse if hunters don’t stand up for their rights.

That’s the word from Al Springer, a director for both the Peachland Sportsman’s Association and the Okanagan Region of the B.C. Wildlife Federation.

He’s been involved for a number of years in discussions between hunters, guide-outfitters and the government on policy for allocation of hunting licenses.

He says the attitude of this government is that hunting should be a commercially-viable business, not just a sport that allows local hunters to fill their freezers with meat for their families while they enjoy the outdoors.

That means that trophy hunting by visitors to the province (who are only permitted to hunt here with a licensed guide/outfitter) is being favoured when allocation decisions are made.

And, that goes against the province’s allocation policy, says Springer.

“Hunting should be managed based on science and we should be following the policy,” he says. Yet, non-resident hunters took 14 of the moose harvested in this region in 2007, while residents harvested only 50, a split of 28 per cent for the non-resident trophy hunter, instead of the agreed-upon 15 per cent.

Since the LEH permits are given out by way of a draw, the odds of getting a moose tag are 20 to one, while the non-resident is just given one when he pays for it, slanting the harvest in favour of those with money and against those without.

“It’s not fair, and it runs contrary to what was agreed upon,” he says.

“We’ve asked for an increase in the number of LEHs this year. In many cases, these animals will just die on the highway and the meat wasted if we don’t have an opportunity to hunt them for meat to feed our families.”

Contrary to the provincial government’s policy of encouraging more hunting in B.C., such inequities have resulted in fewer people having the opportunity to hunt here, he says.

Because the government’s policy is that this is “use it or lose it,” Springer says it’s likely the allocation to local hunters will drop even further in future unless more LEHs are up for draw, because only a small percentage of those who get a draw actually harvest an animal.

On the other hand, non-residents using trained guides nearly always fill out their quota.

Guide/outfitters generally prefer the LEH system of managing game because it means there will be fewer hunters participating, and a better quality hunt for their clients, with less competition, he says.

All in all BC's LEH is THE running joke amongst the hunting fraternity in all of Western North America. IMHO, Rightfully So. [V]

Nog

I've heard about these 'Peta-peckers' before Nog, along with other NGO's who jam the LEH system.

I'm not a big fan of 'Trophy' hunting. My mantra is: If you shoot it - eat it. Unless of course it's trying to eat you, then all bets are off.

Anti-hunters just don't get it. Without an active hunting community pursuing a given species in a given area - those animals are doomed. There are now more Elk in the States than ever before and look at what Ducks Unlimited has done for waterfowl habitat.

It's hunters who are the major stakeholders in conservation and it is we who must pass the torch to our kids.

Seems like a great many hunters out there once again drew a tag or two for BC's fabled NILdeBeast. I had to hunt rather hard myself to come up with the only known picture of this Beast of lore. So, for your viewing pleasure (or displeasure as the case may be), I present:

BC's Fabled NILdeBeast:
NILdeBeast_copy.jpg

According to local legend, this critter ranks right up there with the also fabled BigFoot. Few can lay claim to ever seeing one, though the BC ProvGov insists that they are rampant in our outback - in fact issuing thousands upon thousands of tags for this elusive animal. To date none have ever been recorded as harvested, yet still the tags are purchased in ever-increasing numbers each and every year. The fable suggests this beast may be something of a "shape-shifter" able to change his countenance every four to eight years. Most current sightings suggest something quite different than that, or perhaps it is simply the Beast has lost that particular ability. ;) And although I myself have never seen one, I continuously draw tags for them, also each and every year.

As for recipes. I guess we'll have to wait until someone actually tags one before we can find out much more in that regard. In the meantime, trust in your Provincial Government! The Truth is out there Somewhere... [B)] [:eek:)]

Cheers,
Nog

O.M.G! I saw one of these a few years back while moose-hunting near Chetwynd.

As I had the great misfortune of not having a 'doe-tag' and could see no-balls on the beast, I did not take the shot...

Back