LEH... Waiting is killing me!

Little Hawk

Don't know about the rest of you but all this waiting for the LEH results really sucks.

Put in for cow/elk & whitey/spike/doe in the East Kootenays
and bull/moose west of Williams Lk.

Been skunked on the cow elk for the last five yrs or so (we spend a week every fall there elk-hunting) so I think buddy and I are due and I've never been in the area West of Williams Lk so I'm kinda' stoked about the opportunity to see another part of this unbelievably beautiful Province.

I know there's a few hunters who hang here so why not drop a line and let us know what you put in for. Then maybe when the draw happens we could post our results.

What you tink'?

I to put in for the same draws. I got a cow Elk last year and filled it. Hoping my partner gets his this year. The results should be out soon. I will be checking the online results every 3 minutes today and will let you know how we do. Check out the online regs for 2009-2010, they opened up a spike/fork Moose season in October as well. Good luck Terry!

Put in for bull elk on the Island and bull moose at Horsefly........ My first time, where do you go online to find out if you were successful? Thanks, SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Island Elk
Kingcome Grizz
Kamloops Sheep
Kamloops Moose
Kamloops Muley

And yes, I am frustrated with the wait. Leave it to the Gov to screw up yet another program. Kinda makes ya wonder which one of Gordo's Buddies didn't get what he wanted the first go-round[V]

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks ii, I created a shortcut to my desktop.......... got my fingers crossed! SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Yet another promise by the liberal government that they cant KEEP!!!!!
man they pis me off !!!

how is one to book vacation when all they do is delay delay delay but if we were late by one day getting our forms in hhhhhmmm what do you think would happen oh I know "REJECTED"

There almost as bad as DFO

Wolf

little hawk, i have hunted williams lake for years. good moose hunting and also some nice deer. if your in area 5-4 check out farwell canyon for the awesome views and a chance to see some sheep. good luck

Elk here on the Island and Moose and Mulie doe in Reg 3.

I have the luxury of just taking holidays when I want, so I never plan anything around LEH. Will be guiding moose and bear hunters this fall, then hunting around home until Nov then off to the interior for some mulie and whitey action.

We can all thank Gord for the delay. He has hacked the MOE's budget ans staff to nothing, then he put out a NO OT restriction on all Gov employees and has not released any budget $$$ for the guys in Victoria, who are just blue collar workers like us. All this has made the LEH and other programs way behind.

Less staff + No OT + no money = Delays.[V]:(

Good luck in all your draws!!!

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Way cool guys!

Seems some of you (Sitka & Nog) got way too much time on your hands.
Detect an overture of jealously here?

H.H. - Buddy & I usually (for the last five yrs) set aside a week for elk hunting in the East Kootenay's. We simply love it up there (4-26) and always get our antlerless whitey draw so we don't get skunked. I have an old friend from Vic. who's living up there (Invermere) for the last few yrs and he's been a great help in my elk-hunting schooling. I've yet to get my first elk but feel I'm getting closer each yr as I learn more about them. It's really a learning process. As we always go for 2-weeks, we usually go somewhere new for the other week and yes, I'm stoked about the opportunity to see the SW Cariboo country.

This year, worst than others because work (economy) is slow, my hunting-trip is beginning to look more and more like wishful thinkin'...
We'll see what happens. One things for sure, I'll go nutso' if I don't get away.

'Here's to the crisp fall air, yellow & red leaves, and good-times around the campfire!'

Here is a letter from the BCWF regarding the LEH. Enjoy!

July 9, 2009

The Honourable Barry Penner
Minister of Environment
PO Box 9047 Stn Prov Govt
Room 112 Parliament Buildings
Victoria, BC V8W 9E2

Dear Minister Penner,

Re: 2009 Limited Entry Hunting Draw

I am writing on behalf of the membership of the BC Wildlife Federation to voice their concern and displeasure regarding the lateness of the draw date of the 2009 Limited Entry Hunting Draw.

The draw date for the Limited Entry Hunting (LEH) has been addressed many times over the years by the BC Wildlife Federation. The Provincial Wildlife Allocation Policy clearly states that after First Nations needs for food, social & ceremonial have been met then the residents of the province have priority. Yet every year the Guide Outfitters receive their quota at the end of February and the residents receive their Limited Entry Hunting Authorizations at the beginning of July. The first hunts begin on August 1st. Thus the Guide Outfitters have five months to plan their hunt and the residents have less than one month to prepare, including booking holiday time from their place of work. This is also addressed in the Limited Entry Hunting Review that was part of the Provincial Wildlife Allocation Policy Review that is finally being released after completion for over a year. The importance of conducting the Limited Entry Hunting Draw earlier was also discussed by members of the BC Wildlife Federation Executive with the Assistant Deputy Minister at the BC Wildlife Federation Convention in Fernie in April of 2009.

This year the draw will provide residents with barely two weeks to prepare for the start of the hunting season. We jointly discussed communication and working together more closely with the deputy minister and your staff yet and there was no courtesy of notification by the Ministry of Environment that the draw would have to be delayed to the BCWF office so we could convey this to our membership. It was representatives from the BC Wildlife Federation that made the request to have the ministry website updated.

We wish to bring to your attention that for every Limited Entry Hunting application there is a fee of $6.50. This year there were 167,000 applications received. There was $1,085,500 in fees collected for the applications. It has been the understanding of the BC Wildlife Federation that the fee is collected to provide for the processing of applications and the running of the draw. Why were there delays in processing the LEH applications when one looks at the funding revenue provided to the province by resident hunters?

Unfortunately the lateness of the Limited Entry Hunting Draw will cause further economic loss to the province of BC as hunters will not undertake their Limited Entry Hunts when notice is insufficient to allow for securing vacation time and the actual planning of the trip. Businesses will not receive the economic benefit from expenditures by resident hunters because of lack of ample notification. It must be realized that residents are tourists in their own province. The membership strongly feels that the needs of resident hunters should be better served. Please note that hunters and anglers have always paid for their activities on the land base.

The lateness of the draw will also directly impact resident utilization for specific hunts under the provisions of the Provincial Wildlife Allocation Policy. Will the Ministry of Environment compensate the residents for their utilization under the policy provisions? Residents have definitely been impacted by the lateness of the LEH draw. Recruitment and retention is also negatively affected when hunters become frustrated. If, after waiting for years to become successful in their LEH draw, they then lose the opportunity due to lateness of the draw they may very well decide that they no longer want to hunt, our membership and provincial coffers both suffer a loss.

The membership of the BC Wildlife Federation also request that the discrepancy on receiving hunting opportunity between residents and guide outfitters be finally addressed. Early notification for resident hunters will provide for their participation and more economic expenditures that benefit everyone in BC in pursuing their opportunities.

We look forward to your response to these important issues that we raise.

Yours in conservation,

Wilf Pfleiderer, Chair
Allocations Committee
BC Wildlife Federation Wildlife

cc: Doug Konkin, Deputy Minister of Environment
Ralph Archibald, Assistant Deputy Minister, Environmental Stewardship
Tom Ethier, Director of the Fish & Wildlife Branch
BC Wildlife Federation Membership

Mandela

And the answer:
quote:Reference: 109503

July 14, 2009

Wilf Pfleiderer

Email: officeinfo@bcwf.bc.ca

Dear Mr. Pfleiderer:

Thank you for your letter of July 9, 2009 (received via email July 13) regarding Limited Entry Hunting (LEH).

I acknowledge and regret the impact the delay in completing the LEH draw this year will have on hunters that applied for August 1 hunts. Ministry of Environment staff are processing a record number of 167,000 LEH applications and this has proven to be a challenge.

Fortunately, only a small portion of the hunts begin in early August and they have some time in which to carry out the hunt.

However, I have asked my staff to work as quickly as possible to complete the draw. Once the draw has been made, you can determine whether you have been successful by visiting http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/leh.html, or phoning 250 356-5142. I recommend you check the results sometime this week (the week of July 13).

Thank you again for writing and for your patience while staff continue to prepare this year’s draw.

Sincerely,

"Original Signed By"

Barry Penner

Minister

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

And once again I have to ask just how one gets on the "Preferred List"??

This makes EIGHT</u> years of effort, 7 entries each year, and once again NADA! [V]
Even with 2 of the entries with as low odds as 2:1. WTF?? Unbelievable! [xx(]

There very much is a reason I am getting downright disgusted with the way things are run in this Backwards Country. Checked with a couple of the Old Boyz Club who once again drew moose tags after drawing both last and the year before. Something smells a tad off here...

Good bloody thing I agreed to head over to Alberta guiding early this year. Guess I'll spend the duration of the fall over there, as they seem rather pleased to welcome me and my wallet back each fall. As for BC, they won't be seeing a dime beyond what they've already scammed me out of yet again!

For those who wish to check: http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/leh/leh_hunt_codes

Good Luck! Methinks unless you too figure out how to get on that Preferred List, you're gonna need it.

Not surprised, Just CHOKED once again...:(
Iron

Wife, myself and hunting buddy all got Doe Whitetails in 4-05 and 4-06! No elk draw, but happy enough!:DGonna be able to take Bucks as well and hunt 6 point Elk and immature Moose during the open.[8D]

Yes nothing for me or my hunting budies again this is now my close to 20 something yesr applying for an Elk draw. I prefer the alberta and sask method better at least you get a chance every 5 to 7 years to hunt the "limited" species.

Total bull crap

Wolf

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

And once again I have to ask just how one gets on the "Preferred List"??

This makes EIGHT</u> years of effort, 7 entries each year, and once again NADA! [V]
Even with 2 of the entries with as low odds as 2:1. WTF?? Unbelievable! [xx(]

There very much is a reason I am getting downright disgusted with the way things are run in this Backwards Country. Checked with a couple of the Old Boyz Club who once again drew moose tags after drawing both last and the year before. Something smells a tad off here...

Good bloody thing I agreed to head over to Alberta guiding early this year. Guess I'll spend the duration of the fall over there, as they seem rather pleased to welcome me and my wallet back each fall. As for BC, they won't be seeing a dime beyond what they've already scammed me out of yet again!

For those who wish to check: http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/leh/leh_hunt_codes

Good Luck! Methinks unless you too figure out how to get on that Preferred List, you're gonna need it.

Not surprised, Just CHOKED once again...:(
Iron

Hey Nog, you have to fill it in in BLACK ink:D

I put in for Island Elk, Region 3 moose and Region 3 mulie doe

and......

I drew a bull moose at last years 4.8-1 odds and a doe at 3.9-1 odds.

Tough hunt for the bull, but they are there. The doe should be no problem......[:p]

I use black ink and talk to the LEH gods for a whole week:)

Good luck to all who were lucky!!!!

and to all of those who were not, there is still a huge GOS to hunt in BC.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Sorry to hear you guys struck out; know that feeling all too well.

Nog; don't quit just yet, like Sitka says there's still some good GOS opportunities here.
I'd write a letter to Penner and tell him how I felt.
Speaking of letters, yesterday morning while disgusted that the draw results still hadn't been posted, I fired off an email to the MOE telling that something was terribly wrong with their system and it really needed fixing in a number of areas.

Two guesses what the response was (first one don't count..."

Dear Terry:

Thank you for your email of July 16, 2009 regarding Limited Entry
Hunting (LEH).

I acknowledge and regret the impact the delay in completing the LEH draw
this year will have on hunters that applied for August 1 hunts.
Ministry of Environment staff are processing a record number of 167,000
LEH applications and this has proven to be a challenge.

Fortunately, only a small portion of the hunts begin in early August and
hunters have some time in which to carry out the hunt.

However, I have asked my staff to work as quickly as possible to
complete the draw. Once the draw has been made, you can determine
whether you have been successful by visiting
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/leh.html, or
phoning
250 356-5142. I recommend you check the results sometime this week (the
week of July 13).

Thank you again for writing and for your patience while staff continue
to prepare this year's draw.

Sincerely,

"Original Signed By"

Barry Penner
Minister

Nothing like that 'Personal Touch' I always say.

Buddy and I both drew antlerless/spike Whitey's in 4-26 again AND a Bull Moose in 5-04/A...Yee Ha!

So, if a miracle happens and I stay busy enough to bank a little coin between now and mid-Oct we'll be spending a week in the East Kootenay's (never get tired of that place) and a week in a totally new area. Never been west of Williams Lk (east side of Chilko Lk) and I really dig-it when we get to go into new country.

Good luck to all!

The thing is not all 167.000 all came in at once as I put mine in at the office as its near work about june 15th or so and the thing was stuffed with LEHs so one would think as soon as they came in on a dayly basis they would input the info ME THINKs!!!!!!!

What if we were a day late getting the leh in do you think they would let us I highly doubt it.

Sounds like crap to me once again
\
Wolf

Back