Lefthanded levelwind Reel for Halibut Fishing?

Highliner

Hey gents,

I'm a right hander who prefers to reel with my left. I guess I like holding my rod with my stronger hand (no jokes please:D). I use an MR3 set-up lefty for salmon and I'm currently using a Shimano TLD 20 on my hali rod. But, I find it kind of awkward to use. Just wondering if anyone knows of any decent left-handed reels that would be suitable for halibut?

Thanks.

Not my fave but it'll do the trick Penn GT Level Wind Reel 321GT2 it's made in as a leftie too most local places should be able to get you one.

41H6UCXDMWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks Dogbreath. Yeah, not my favourite either. My buddy has one and I'm not a fan. It doesn't need to be a true levelwind either. I just wish I could get the Shimano TLD in a lefty.

reels

highliner

so you want to wind in with the handle on the left ?

if yes then try find/look for a calcutta 701 or as big reel line capacity

also get a rod with a gimbal end and a small fighting belt

stops the rod twisting when pumping up and less fatigue on the wind down stroke

or just learn to fish with both ways

i cast and wind in with the reel handle on the left if its a fixed spool spinning reel

but can fish bait caster/multipliers either way as well as mooching reels but prefer

the handles on the left and the right hand holding the rod which is my writing/ strong arm

i also notice some people run mooching reels up or down in the rigggers ????

eyes on the rod up or down?31as.jpg

Not a lot of left handled level wind reels out there. I also prefer to hold the rod in my right hand and use my left to reel so have a few of the Penn 321LHGT's. They work ok but I've been thinking about trying a heavy spinning reel on a heavy 6 ft spinning type rod as a jigging outfit just to eliminate the rod twist when reeling up a heavy weight.

Hey & Hi Highliner,

I also am right handed, but far prefer to reel with my elft. Firm believer that your dominant arm should be the one controlling the fish.

Had (and still have) one of the penns. Workable, but obviously there are better choices.

I've now gone with an Avet for myself. they offer most of their line up in lefties. The two speed model is perfect for getting it up and down quickly, and the low range is awesome for powering down on a Big Ugly. They are a tad expensive, but WELL worth it IMHO. Here's their site: http://www.avetreels.net/

Cheers,
Nog

Hey & Hi Highliner,

I also am right handed, but far prefer to reel with my elft. Firm believer that your dominant arm should be the one controlling the fish.

Had (and still have) one of the penns. Workable, but obviously there are better choices.

I've now gone with an Avet for myself. they offer most of their line up in lefties. The two speed model is perfect for getting it up and down quickly, and the low range is awesome for powering down on a Big Ugly. They are a tad expensive, but WELL worth it IMHO. Here's their site: http://www.avetreels.net/

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks Nog, we share the same logic. I am also right handed and feel best while holding the rod with my strongest arm. What Avet model do you use? Thanks for the suggestion.

I always been made to feel like a weirdo by my fishing buds for reeling left. It's nice to know there are a few others out there too.

Same situation for me here. But since I mostly outfish my right-reeling buddies, they have learnt to respect me - I think! lol

Back