Leader Length

W

waddy

Hi all,
I'm going out to the mouth of the cap tomorrow morning, (or somewhere out there) and i'm just wondering how long of leaders i should use. Im fishing for chinook and im using chovies.

Thnx and tight lines

waddy

ok thnx, i also heard somewhere on this forum a guy went out and didnt use a flasher and caught 2, thats similar to using a 8' leader but i dunno if i believe it...

myself i run a full arm width plus 6 `` =72`` or 6 feet. we catch nice fish , sometimes if it`s slow i go up to about 8` . i rum 48'' on spoons. tight lines scottyboy

As scottyboy says I have followed those guides for lengths closely with small variations for 40 years , nothing hitting your 84 to 90 inch leaders then start cutting the length back and change the speed you trolling at.

Luck to you

AL

ok thnx guys, and scottyboy, do you fish around the cap ever? or am i confusing you with another scotty...

well i`m 300 now lol , hey i`m on the island , but i fish inside waters and west coast nootka , reny , bamfield ,sooke . thats just what my average length 72`` works 4 me and my boat . i also run about 15 to 20 feet off my rigger clip 2 the flasher. i also troll fast . remember each boat is different gotta fined what works 4 it [8D]. tight lines scottyboy

Like others have said, some like it long and some don't.
I've myself this year run up to 7 foot plus, but for some reason when I switched to ECVI I just got it into my head to shorten it to 42" and slowed down...alot...
Taking some nice fish right now, but most boats are lapping me.
But I figure the fish are holding in an area for a reason, why start screaming through.

I've run 6 feet on spoons, but maybe that's a bit long?

i`ve done better 48`` to about 55`` on spoons. but thats just me , if it works 4 u , keep doing it . tight lines scottyboy

Everybody who was catching fish in our area,[orcas island area] were using between30-36 for spoons and herring.

72" +, more like 7' for chovies (WCVI), I run 50 ish for apoons, 42" for everything else.

Just curious,i do have a question for the guys who just answered.Do you use the same leader lengths for winter blackies,and longer for the summer runs.

You 'merican's kill me...
I can only assume that a winter blackie is a fish (I hope).
Leader length will either increase or decrease the action in what you're using.
That being said, it depends on what the fish are feeding on.
I've used short and long leaders on both sides of Vancouver Island.
Look around you when others are catching and you're not.
You should be able to see what they're using and judge the leader lengths, too.

let me translate "Merican" for you:

Blackmouth = resident "feeder" Spring....well, we dont really call them Springs...cause that might be confused with Springers...

BTW, we think "feeder" is silly as they ALL eat at some point...

One thing we can all agree on is Cold BEER :)

..and Blackmouth like shorter leaders..

Back